Advice On A 5 Gallon Tank As Main Tank And Breeding

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Just finished rearranging my room.

Surprisingly, I can fit a tank with the measurement up to 30"L x 12"W x any height.

According to the website below, it will be a 29 Gal tank.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/aquariumsandstands/a/tanksizesweights.htm

Any suggestions? My room looks smaller now after the rearrangement but as long as I can fit a suitable tank for my fish, I'm alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyZ42MwChYg

This tank looks awesome. Where do you guys normally get your tank? My LFS do not have a tank this size. I am from Melbourne, Australia.

Awesome, i think your fish will love it, keep us updated!

Actually you can put those dimensions into the calculator at the top of the page and it'll tell you. Or you can do L x W x H divided by 231.

Definitely do the 29 then if you can.

So glad that you're working to accommodate your fish!

I think your the first person to have a situation like this and change so quickly for them! Thats awesome!

Thanks.

I am heading to a LFS located an hour from my house tomorrow. Hope I find something better there. I really want to get an aquarium with cover and blue LED lights. Will keep you guys updated.

I think I should create a thread on its own monitoring how my fishes grow.

Good luck in finding what you want! ^_^ Love the blue LEDs.

Most certainly! I'd love to see a journal about your fishies.

Great job Jeremy! I'm really psyched about you getting this new tank. If you keep a journal going I'll be sure to follow with interest. Your fishes will thank you for it. :) :band: :yahoo: :kana: :hooray: :D :-

TallTree01 said:
Great job Jeremy! I'm really psyched about you getting this new tank. If you keep a journal going I'll be sure to follow with interest. Your fishes will thank you for it.
smile.png
band.gif
yahoo.gif
59.gif
winner.gif
biggrin.png
yay.gif

I wonder what will they do to thank me. Probably make more babies.

Does anyone know how much I can sell guppies and platys for? I did some research and they said it will be around $1 to my LFS, however, I believe they have their own trusted supplier. My LFS told me I could sell them privately for $40 which I highly doubt that would be the case. I bought these guppies for $3 each, if I can make $40 out of it then it will be more than 1300% profit. LOL. 

Most LFS don't pay for fry. They just take them in as a gesture of goodwill. Mine only takes fish in if you buy something first. :lol: Luckily they have a huge plant range for me to get so I can give my fish to them.
I would expect 0$. If you can get paid anything, great!

To any shops that will buy your extra stock of platies and guppies you can generally expect around 50 cents - $1 each and even then they will need to be of a good size and mature. Privately you could probably expect to sell them for around $2 each, if you are willing to ship you maybe able to charge a little more + postage and handling which can usually run at around $20 depending on the size/ weight and destination of the parcel.

If you do eventually breed bristle noses too, then you can hope to get $2- $2.50 each provided the fry are 3cm or bigger.

Thanks for the info.

What do you normally do with your fry instead of overloading your tank?

Are there anyone that breed tropical fish for profit?

FishWithChips said:
Are there anyone that breed tropical fish for profit?

Only very rarely. The LFS suppliers are doing it on an industrial scale, they sell to the LFS very cheaply, and they provide guarantees on the health of their stock.

To be able to sell at anything approaching a profit, you have to be breeding something rare, which means that there is a limited market for what you are selling.

That makes sense. I am interested in breeding something rare once I get the hang of how to provide sustainable home for my fish.

I have always liked rare items. I would really love to learn more on how to breed something like a gupplat (mix between guppy and platy) or other types of fishes.

This is so interesting.....

This site will be my reference if I want to cross breed.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=830

Hey guys,

I am just wondering what heater should I use.

I am currently using Aqua One 100w for my 5 Gal. I did some research and it is said that 1w will heat 1 litre.

Should I stick with Aqua One? Some reviews comment them negatively to not having the right accuracy.

For some reason, I cannot edit my post anymore. Would like to keep all my questions in my post tho.

Sorry for all these questions. I searched the forum but couldn't find anything so I searched on google but they are too confusing. It feels like I am studying science all over again.

I am thinking of getting a few rocks and a piece of wood for my upcoming tank. According to some websites, the rocks and wood that I should be using depend on what fish will be in my tank because they mess with the PH. I have guppies, platys and plecos but I will more likely purchase a few other tropical fish once my tank is fully cycled. I will not use any life plants at this stage as they need intensive care such as fertilising, cleaning and etc.

Please provide some advice.

P.S. Chemistry was not my cup of tea although I did like mixing chemicals sessions.

P.S. I love looking at my plecos gather little bits of algae off my tank.

Most reactions

Back