Advice On A 5 Gallon Tank As Main Tank And Breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishWithChips

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my second post. Put down my first post in the introduction section.

Attached is a picture of my current fish tank.

First of all, I will tell you a little bit of my fish-keeping experience. I had 8 goldfish about 15 years ago but they all died due to the overwhelming power of the filter and I never gave myself a second chance until recently. Watching fish keepers on YouTube few weeks ago piqued my interest in fish breeding.

Three days ago, I bought a 5 gallon tank not knowing it was 5 gallon at that time until I did more research on cycling, tank measurement, heating and etc. Basically, I now have the knowledge required for a total beginner and of course I need to keep developing. I woke up with a cloudy aquarium two days ago and got myself a test kit. Ammonia was at 0.5 ppm so I did a 40% water change and the picture attached showed my current tank. I just fed my fishes with quarter teaspoon of fish food. I do not wish to build up the ammonia level by overfeeding. I will let my tank cycle (with fish in it since I got them already) for at least 1 to 2 months.

However, I have been pondering on the question as to whether or not I can use my current 5 gallon tank with fish net for my future pregnant fishes or I should sell the 5 gallon and purchase a 10 gallon with fish net for the fry.

Note: I do not have much space in my room so I really wouldn't want to have 2 tanks. I am also hoping not to have to spend extra for the 10 gallon if it is possible to keep my 5 gallon. 

So guys, please advice. Thanks so much.

P.S I really love my fishes. They sleep with me and wake with me.

Your tank is overstocked already, I would not be attempting to breed anything although it will likely happen anyways from your platys and guppies.

You want a 20g for your bristlenose pleco, a 15g for the platys. 5g is 'okay' for guppies though I'd really rather see them in a 10g.

Since you did not cycle the tank I recommend bringing the fish back to your LFS, cycling it fishless following the article at the top of the page, and then stocking it with appropriate fish (which we can help you with).

I am not trying to sound harsh or rude, just being up front with you about what is best for your fish. :)

Agreeing with ninj its overstocked im afraid :/ i would think the tank would be cycled by now after 2 months with fish, the reason your having ammonia spikes most likely isnt over feeding its from overstocking the tank, with fish that need much larger tanks. The bristle nose needs a 20 gallon long platys i thought needed a 30 gallon but i trust ninjs judgement that a 15 gallon would be fine, and the guppies really shouldnt be in a 5 gallon.

And may i ask a question? What size tank were the 8 goldfish in? I dont believe the filter was to strong but thats old news.

Sorry if im coming off as rude as well just care about the fisheies life :D

If I am getting a 20 gallon tank, can I keep my platys, gruppies, catfishes and add a few more fish?

The pleco is a species of catfish if you didnt know :) but maybe you could get a school of glass catfish or a few upside down catfish, but it may be quickly over stocked on its own from the platies and guppies.

A 20g should work, but it depends on how many of these fish you have? Can you list all the types of fish and their numbers please? :)

I just rearranged my room and all I can fit is another 5 gallon tank, no more than that.

Fishes I currently have in a 5 gallon tank:
3 Platys
3 Guppies
2 Catfish

Fishes I intend to put into another 5 gallon:
Only fry from either Platys or Guppies.

What do you think?

I recommend returning the platys and catfish to the LFS. 5g is not suitable for them at all. Sorry :/

What if I get a 15 gal? Can I keep the platys, catfish and guppies in the 15 gal then use the 5 gallon to breed? Once the frys get bigger, I will then move some of them to the 55 litre. Will probably give some to my friends and sell them to the local shop if they want them.

I do not wish to return any of the fish. 
no.gif

A 15 gallon would be fine for the platies and guppies.
It might be fine for the catfish but I don't know the species. Do you know what sort of catfish you have? If not, post a picture and I'll try to tell you

Oh okay. :) Definitely need a 20g then.
You'd need a tank about 24" x 12" x 16" or bigger

I guess I have to rearrange my room again.

If I am getting a 20 Gal, should I go for the high or long? I believe the 24" x 12" x 16" is the higher version.

Edited: I mean higher version, not longer

Longer would be better. I'm sorry you're having to rearrange your room but I think it's worth it to ensure the happiness of your fish. :) Plus a change of scenery is nice!

When you get the new tank you can move everyone over right away, just make sure to move ALL filter media from your old tank to the new one, and the substrate and decor would help to.

Most reactions

Back