Adding Sand On Top Of Gravel?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I want to put some sand in my established tank But I don't want to get rid off all my gravel. Has anyone just added sand on top of your gravel Do you think if I'm really careful I can add sand with out taking my fish out? trying to catch them is I pain and stressful for us both.

I want to redo the whole tank in stages.
 
The sand will eventually move under the gravel, if you'd like a sand substrate would be better to redo the tank and remove the gravel completely:)
 
Eventually meaning a year+. How thick is the gravel? I have 2cm of gravel with 1.5cm of sand on top and I think it looks like a good river bed effect with the rocks popping up randomly. On the point of adding sand with fish in their I would think it would cause gill irriatation would it be possible to section off half the tank via a sheet of acrylic/wood or somethings similar and add the sand then once its settled move the fish over to the otherside and do the same to the other half?
 
Eventually meaning a year+. How thick is the gravel? I have 2cm of gravel with 1.5cm of sand on top and I think it looks like a good river bed effect with the rocks popping up randomly. On the point of adding sand with fish in their I would think it would cause gill irriatation would it be possible to section off half the tank via a sheet of acrylic/wood or somethings similar and add the sand then once its settled move the fish over to the otherside and do the same to the other half?
i like that idea im usin it lol ;]
 

Most reactions

Back
Top