Adding A Second Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Whitelinez

Reaction score
As above guys wanted to know what's the best way to introduce a second pleco too my tank,

Bit of info I've got a tropical 190 ltr tank with a pleco in there already,
Also numerous other fish.

Thanks

Hi there, welcome to the forum :)

Do you know what species your current plec is, and what species are you thinking of adding? What is your current stocking? Is your water hard or soft?

Sorry for all the questions, but the more info we have, the better we can advise you :)

What sort of plec do you have?

Heres a picture of him, i wanted to put the same in but wasnt 100% sure of his breed

2q1z66r.jpg

Okay, that's a common plec; probably Pterygoplichthys pardalis. I'm afraid it's going to get much too big for your tank and you should probably think about rehoming it, unless you can upgrade to a tank of at least 5'x2'x2'. You certainly shouldn't add another.

You could have another species of plec; bristlenoses would be good for a tank of your size.

when it does out grow the tank i will re home it.
so would i be able to add one of them in with him?

You won't really be able to tell when it's out-grown until you start seeing it become deformed due to stunting. Best to just start looking to rehome now, and as fluttermoth suggests, get a couple bristle noses :)

I'll add that they are very messy fish, and they will make it much harder to keep your water quality right for everyone else. There are lots of other types of plecs you can have though. Bristlenose and Rubberlip are two you could have that are pretty commonly available!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back