A list of my planned aquarium supplies...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
My parents want to help with purchasing some of the items for the aquarium and wanted me to make a list... I added one thing in with pen (sorry for my horrible writing lol) so the grand total is the grand total plus 44.99... I just wanted to know what you guys thought about my shopping list and if I should add or get rid of anything... And I already have the tank and filter thats why its not on there.
0713211144.jpg

Err..... could you put picture in the right way or provide a muscle relaxer ointment for my future stiff neck:lol: ?

Err..... could you put picture in the right way or provide a muscle relaxer ointment for my future stiff neck:lol: ?
Hmmm My camera on my phone may have accidentally turned sideways lol... Hold on

0713211217.jpg

Here we are... Now you dont have to twist your neck lol.

Wow! That’s a really nice, thorough list!!! The only thing I can see that I personally would do differently (and it’s really personal preference as it comes out to right about the same price) is the hood, lighting, and plants. For the hood and lighting it looks like you’re planning to get one of those bulkier black hoods with built in lights? I think that for the money you’re spending on that, you could get something much higher quality! Like a glass top (petsmart has a 24” for $16) with a high quality light such a 24” Nicrew SkyLED Plus light from Amazon for $37, which is better for growing plants and will offer you the ability to choose from a wider variety of plants! But again, it’s just whatever look you prefer (if you wanted to compare the look I am happy to share a photo of mine)

For the plants, depending on how densely planted the tank, I know of several eBay stores with great prices on large varieties of plants that I am happy to share, if you want? When I first started out I made the mistake of buying individual plants at my local Petsmart, then finally started shopping around online and found place that offer buy one get one half off or buy two get one free, and was able to purchase all the plants in my 55 gallon tank for $30 (before I decided I wanted a larger variety and spent $40 more lol)

Woahhh @Rocky998 that is WAY better :thanks:

My opinion :
• DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride : no. Let Mother Nature in charge of cycling. Patience is the key in aquaria ;)
• Driftwood : think to boil it fully immerged 2 hours for sterilization.

Wow! That’s a really nice, thorough list!!! The only thing I can see that I personally would do differently (and it’s really personal preference as it comes out to right about the same price) is the hood, lighting, and plants. For the hood and lighting it looks like you’re planning to get one of those bulkier black hoods with built in lights? I think that for the money you’re spending on that, you could get something much higher quality! Like a glass top (petsmart has a 24” for $16) with a high quality light such a 24” Nicrew SkyLED Plus light from Amazon for $37, which is better for growing plants and will offer you the ability to choose from a wider variety of plants! But again, it’s just whatever look you prefer (if you wanted to compare the look I am happy to share a photo of mine)

For the plants, depending on how densely planted the tank, I know of several eBay stores with great prices on large varieties of plants that I am happy to share, if you want? When I first started out I made the mistake of buying individual plants at my local Petsmart, then finally started shopping around online and found place that offer buy one get one half off or buy two get one free, and was able to purchase all the plants in my 55 gallon tank for $30 (before I decided I wanted a larger variety and spent $40 more lol)
Well I would definitely love a link to the lights and top but as for the plants I really dont want root tabs tabs and such. I'm getting them on mats and drift wood which is way easier.

My opinion :
• DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride : no. Let Mother Nature in charge of cycling. Patience is the key in aquaria ;)
Well... I am still doing the ammonia in a lot of cycling articles I've read they say this is number 1... Even in these forums for the cycling guide it says to use ammonium. It also helps to grow bb and gives them something to eat. The other ways like live fish cycling is uncontrollable with ammonia and I also dont want to kill the fish. Id rather give ammonia in controlled dosage ammounts and do the cycle like it tells me to on here.

My opinion :
Yes im going to be boiling the driftwood... My mom doesnt want me using her cooking pots so ill just get some large cheap whatever one.

Well... I am still doing the ammonia in a lot of cycling articles I've read they say this is number 1... Even in these forums for the cycling guide it says to use ammonium. It also helps to grow bb and gives them something to eat. The other ways like live fish cycling is uncontrollable with ammonia and I also dont want to kill the fish. Id rather give ammonia in controlled dosage ammounts and do the cycle like it tells me to on here.
You must have an ammonia source to do a fishless cycle. Period. "Mother Nature" won't grow bacteria without it.

I wouldn't get the extra AC sponges, you don't need them, the sponge that comes with the filter will last for years.

You must have an ammonia source to do a fishless cycle. Period. "Mother Nature" won't grow bacteria without it.

I wouldn't get the extra AC sponges, you don't need them, the sponge that comes with the filter will last for years.
Well I'm not using filter floss so I'm doubling up on the sponge. And yes that is exactly why I'm getting the ammonia, so that way I can get the bb growing.

NO need to put fishes in danger nor add anything !
Plant your tank densely, then be patient and wait for 4-5 weeks Mother Nature makes the job.

Well I'm not using filter floss so I'm doubling up on the sponge. And yes that is exactly why I'm getting the ammonia, so that way I can get the bb growing.
Those sponge squares are thick, if you "double up" on them, you won't have room for your ceramic media.

Personally, I hate dealing with sponges, and haven't used them in a very long time...they clog, and are hard to properly clean...I use poly floss in the bottom of my AC's, then fill the rest of the chamber with ceramic media...no more nasty sponges to deal with.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back