A list of my planned aquarium supplies...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Those sponge squares are thick, if you "double up" on them, you won't have room for your ceramic media.

Personally, I hate dealing with sponges, and haven't used them in a very long time...they clog, and are hard to properly clean...I use poly floss in the bottom of my AC's, then fill the rest of the chamber with ceramic media...no more nasty sponges to deal with.
Actually the aquaclear sponges are super porus and water flow looks like it would be ok with 2... But maybe you're right.

You must have an ammonia source to do a fishless cycle. Period. "Mother Nature" won't grow bacteria without it.
Nah really ? There are bacterias in water, little I agree. But everything you add in aquarium when setting it up bring bacterias, including plants.

Nah really ? There are bacterias in water, little I agree. But everything you add in aquarium when setting it up bring bacterias, including plants.
They still need to eat something while fishless cycling... Thats where the ammonium comes in to feed it.

They still need to eat something while fishless cycling... Thats where the ammonium comes in to feed it.
I always set up my tanks this way, without adding ammonium, and cycles were made by themselves in 4-5 weeks, except for one that lasted 6 weeks long : was cold water.

Well I would definitely love a link to the lights and top but as for the plants I really dont want root tabs tabs and such. I'm getting them on mats and drift wood which is way easier.
This is gonna sound so dumb….

I don’t know how to post a link :blink:

Exactly. Follow the fishless cycling sticky, you'll be fine.

Avel1896 is an advocate of plant or silent cycling. This is a popular method among those who have heavily planted tanks, but in this case with just Java fern and anubias, I don't think a silent cycle is possible as they are very slow growing plants.

@Rocky998 I would get the plants after the cycle finishes rather than subject them to large doses of ammonia. Many plants don't like having 3 ppm ammonia put in the tank in one single dose. When there are fish in the tank, the same amount of ammonia is made by the fish every 24 hours but in tiny amounts every minute of the day rather than all in one dose.

Sorry, I phrased that badly. Silent cycling and plant cycling are the same things, just different names for the same thing.

Avel1896 is an advocate of plant or silent cycling. This is a popular method among those who have heavily planted tanks, but in this case with just Java fern and anubias, I don't think a silent cycle is possible as they are very slow growing plants.

@Rocky998 I would get the plants after the cycle finishes rather than subject them to large doses of ammonia. Many plants don't like having 3 ppm ammonia put in the tank in one single dose. When there are fish in the tank, the same amount of ammonia is made by the fish every 24 hours but in tiny amounts every minute of the day rather than all in one dose.
Thats the gameplan

@Essjay don't be sorry, I've learnt that both silent cycling and plant cycling lead to Mother Nature natural cycling :whistle::angel:;)

This is gonna sound so dumb….

I don’t know how to post a link :blink:
Sorry it has taken this long to reply... I think all you have to do is copy the text on the top of the search bar and then paste into here... Also I saw the glass top and it wont work... There is no cutout for filters and stuff...

What sort of fish are you planning to keep?
I ask because you have a lot of rock and most fish don't live in rocks.

Why are you getting a small python gravel cleaner but a long algae scraper?
If you have a small tank, get a small normal gravel cleaner and use a sponge to wipe the glass down. Algae scrapers are used for tall tanks.

What sort of filter do you have?
You are getting an AquaClear sponge and some Biomax. Why?
Most filters come with their own media/ materials.

Digital thermometers aren't that good and if they are the ones you stick on the outside of the tank, they don't give accurate water temperatures. They can also be damaged if people have pressed the LCD bits. When you do get a thermometer, look at all of them together and check the temperature on them. If one says 22C and the others say 24C, avoid the 22C thermometer because it's dodgy.

Unless you have a weakened immune system or damage to your skin on your hands and arms, there is no reason to get rubber gloves to work in an aquarium. Just wash your hands with warm soapy water after working in the fish tank.

How big is the tank and what wattage is the heater?

Don't buy Anubias plants on driftwood. Anubias is not a good aquarium plant and you can stick them on wood or rocks if you really want one.

Don't buy the Lukovee tool kit, you don't need it.

T8 fluorescent light units are old and outdated. It is what we used in the 80s (last century). They get hot and the globes need replacing every year. Look for a LED light unit with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

What sort of fish are you planning to keep?
I ask because you have a lot of rock and most fish don't live in rocks.

Why are you getting a small python gravel cleaner but a long algae scraper?
If you have a small tank, get a small normal gravel cleaner and use a sponge to wipe the glass down. Algae scrapers are used for tall tanks.

What sort of filter do you have?
You are getting an AquaClear sponge and some Biomax. Why?
Most filters come with their own media/ materials.

Digital thermometers aren't that good and if they are the ones you stick on the outside of the tank, they don't give accurate water temperatures. They can also be damaged if people have pressed the LCD bits. When you do get a thermometer, look at all of them together and check the temperature on them. If one says 22C and the others say 24C, avoid the 22C thermometer because it's dodgy.

Unless you have a weakened immune system or damage to your skin on your hands and arms, there is no reason to get rubber gloves to work in an aquarium. Just wash your hands with warm soapy water after working in the fish tank.

How big is the tank and what wattage is the heater?

Don't buy Anubias plants on driftwood. Anubias is not a good aquarium plant and you can stick them on wood or rocks if you really want one.

Don't buy the Lukovee tool kit, you don't need it.

T8 fluorescent light units are old and outdated. It is what we used in the 80s (last century). They get hot and the globes need replacing every year. Look for a LED light unit with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.
Man you threw a lot at me... I feel stressed... Ummm I'm keeping peacock goby/gudgeons and corydoras... I have an aquaclear 30 and the bio rings that come with it are bad and there is not a lot. Why is anubias not good? I love the look. The thermometer has a probe that goes into the water and why shouldnt I get the plant care kit? I need to trim bad plant leaves and what not. Also I'm always getting scratched up on my arms and hands... I also dont want to accidentally contaminate my aquarium... Any other questions or concerns?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back