54l Stock Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cdr06

Reaction score
Hello forum!

I have owned 5 danios for a bit over 2 years now, recently however they have dropped off, down to just the 3. I noticed some aggressive behaviour since - which I put down to the lack of danios. Because of this, and the fact i couldn't stand to see the fish upset, I went out and purchased a 54l tank in hopes of giving them a better environment/more room for friends. Now I have happily transferred them into it and they seem to be doing better and are much more lively. I visited my local pet shop and discovered leopard danios and black phantom tetra, as well as a small shrimp species (I forgot the name, oops!). However, I have read that the phantoms also like to be in groups of 5 or more just like the danios. Would 5 danios and 5 phantoms plus a couple of shrimp work, or would this be overstocking? I entered everything into AqAdvisor and it returns my "Stocking Level" to be 70%. Is this about right? I just want to give them the best life haha, I don't want them overcrowded.

My tank dimensions are 60cm (length), 30cm (depth) and 30cm (height).

I'd appreciate any help!

Thank you.

Tbh both these species need a bigger tank than a 54ltr (15g).

The Danio's are active swimmers and ideally need a 3ft tank. The phantoms less so but still need a tank at least a 20g long id say.

My danios arent ideally in the right size tank now. They are in a 105ltr (75cm) but they are the last of my group of 12 and im retiring my last 3.

Because you already have the 3 danio's in the 54ltr Id possible just add 3 more danios and just have them for your upper fish then add a small group of corydoras (6 minimum) to add interest below.

Thats just my opinion tho:)

Tbh both these species need a bigger tank than a 54ltr (15g).

The Danio's are active swimmers and ideally need a 3ft tank. The phantoms less so but still need a tank at least a 20g long id say.

My danios arent ideally in the right size tank now. They are in a 105ltr (75cm) but they are the last of my group of 12 and im retiring my last 3.

Because you already have the 3 danio's in the 54ltr Id possible just add 3 more danios and just have them for your upper fish then add a small group of corydoras (6 minimum) to add interest below.

Thats just my opinion tho:)
I appreciate the response! I see a valid point here and would love some bottom fish, but have read that corys don't go with gravel? Is there any alternative you could think of which hangs around the bottom/middle more? As for the zebra danio tank size, I really wish I could've afforded a bigger tank than a 54l as I'm just a teenager at the moment, wish major pet shop employees were trained better for advising customers as they were totally fine with me putting 5 danios in a tank which was only around 30l and had barely any length.

Thank you.

I appreciate the response! I see a valid point here and would love some bottom fish, but have read that corys don't go with gravel? Is there any alternative you could think of which hangs around the bottom/middle more? As for the zebra danio tank size, I really wish I could've afforded a bigger tank than a 54l as I'm just a teenager at the moment, wish major pet shop employees were trained better for advising customers as they were totally fine with me putting 5 danios in a tank which was only around 30l and had barely any length.

Thank you.
Yes unfortuntely most the time staff at your local pet stores are under trained and give bad advise. Its always best to do your own research first.

Options for bottom dwellers with your tank size with gravel are sadly low. Shrimp and snails would probably be the best choice.

I recently donated some zebras that had been rehomed to myself as my 800mm/120L tank was becoming obviously too small for them as they grew and was causing problems. IE other fish being displaced to an unnatural location in the tank.
I had them in both the 80s and 90s and I’m sure both lots weren’t as manic as these recent ones.

I had a group of danios in a 54l when I needed to remove them from the large tank with some bottom dwellers for few years. Sure they would appreciate more swimming space, but 60cm is not that small, if there are no surface plants taking the space away from them. Better than having just 3 and having them in a large space anyway. But yes, either up the numbers, but you will be facing with the older one dyings off, group getting smaller again, fin nipping and aggression again and buying new ones every couple of years again, or you give them to someone to increase his own school. Is not easy with schooling fish dying, always a decision to be made

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back