500-Litter South American cichlid tank

Nemo91

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to cichlids I have a 500-litre tank with 2 giophagus and 2 jack Dempsey. I have read that they will be OK with Rainbowfish as long as they are big enough not to eat.

I've also read that Angelfish will ok as well, but when speaking to my local fish shop they said they would get bullied. Can anyone help with some advice?

Hi the good news is itā€™s a great sized tank the bad news is the jack dempseys are not the best choice in here they are named after a boxer for a reason!

The geophagus and angels are a classic mix but Iā€™d go for a South American tetra one of the disk ones like flames or phantoms. Rainbow fish need harder water and the rest of the fish need softer water. Though the JDs are generally more neutral and a bit cooler than the other fish mentioned.

Iā€™d start to make a choice over the jds and then we can work out your next steps.

The Jack Dempsey cichlids grow to 12 inches (sometimes bigger) and will kill everything in the tank including each other if you have 2 males. Get rid of the Jack Dempsey cichlids.

If you want a fish that is similar in colour to the Jack Dempsey, but peaceful, get blue acaras.

Rainbowfish and angelfish generally require different water chemistry. Rainbowfish are also active and their constant movement can stress angelfish if the tank isn't huge (6ft plus).

Hi the good news is itā€™s a great sized tank the bad news is the jack dempseys are not the best choice in here they are named after a boxer for a reason!

The geophagus and angels are a classic mix but Iā€™d go for a South American tetra one of the disk ones like flames or phantoms. Rainbow fish need harder water and the rest of the fish need softer water. Though the JDs are generally more neutral and a bit cooler than the other fish mentioned.

Iā€™d start to make a choice over the jds and then we can work out your next steps.
Hello
Thank you for the reply, at the moment all i have is the Gio and Jack Dempsey in at the moment. But was looking to add a bit more to the tank its got live plants and caves as well. I was told these will be ok by the fish supplier i brought them from. Regarding the Gio and JD together.

The fish supplier is an idiot and a liar.
Well, he or she could also be a minimum wage kid who sells what the boss says to sell. Just because you need a job and take one, doesn't mean you know the things you sell. The person could be a dog and cat expert shoved into the fish department.

If you depend on strangers for advice, you will get burned. Go online, and look up info on all your fish. Check out the info on Dempsies for yourself. You don't know us and we may have no credibility with you, as random internet names. Jack Dempsies will kill all your fish, but don't take my word for it. Look at sources like Seriously Fish. Read at least six sources on every one of your fish.

Figure out which Geophagus you have, so you can say you had it before the JDs mature (they will reach a certain age before the killing starts). Never buy a fish unless you have independently verified how it behaves.

Rainbow fish need harder water and the rest of the fish need softer water.
This is nonsense. Keep the angels and geos, add some tetras if you're so inclined. Personally, I wouldn't keep rainbow fish with angels, but it's not because they require different water parameters.

Not to sidetrack, but I'm many generations into healthy Papua New Guinea G wanamensis and M boesemani in soft water. We overgeneralize.
But I like to keep SA tanks South American, which is why I wouldn't put rainbows in there.

Angels and Geos can work, but it depends on the Geo.

This is nonsense. Keep the angels and geos, add some tetras if you're so inclined. Personally, I wouldn't keep rainbow fish with angels, but it's not because they require different water parameters.
Explain a bit more why what I said is nonsense?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back