500 Gallon Monster Tank

yeah i meant the stock you had and a shovel nose but not sure
 
wouldnt a shovel nose be ok in that tank

Not really as they are capable of getting to 4 foot, and should definitely reach 3, at this size smaller dats and possibly even oscars may be seen as food,

Similar suitable species would be shovelnose (lima) catfish and Tigrinus catfish
 
wouldnt a shovel nose be ok in that tank

Not really as they are capable of getting to 4 foot, and should definitely reach 3, at this size smaller dats and possibly even oscars may be seen as food,

Similar suitable species would be shovelnose (lima) catfish and Tigrinus catfish

Oscars seen as food...what a frightening idea. :P Do you think we could add a Lima Shovelnose catfish? (In terms of room, I mean.) Right now we're looking at:

1 Silver Arowana
1 Siamese Tiger fish
2 Oscars
1 Clown Knife
1 Bichir

He obviously doesn't want to crowd the tank, so let us know! :) Apart from a Lima Shovelnose, anything else that could be added?
 
Top Layer - AROWANAS (1 black/silver,)

Middle Layer - / 6 Chalceus macrolepidotus/ 2 oscar's / 4 Cichla monoculus

Bottom Layer - 2 ornate birchir's / 1 Liosomodarus onicinus / lima shovelnose
 
Top Layer - AROWANAS (1 black/silver,)

Middle Layer - / 6 Chalceus macrolepidotus/ 2 oscar's / 4 Cichla monoculus

Bottom Layer - 2 ornate birchir's / 1 Liosomodarus onicinus / lima shovelnose

Liosomadoras oncinus - Oh now nellys got me drooling :drool:

I think if you can find a good priced asian aro then that is what I would personally go for,
I'd also definitely consider a flagtail prochilodus if you can find one.

my suggestion would be:

1 arowana
1 indo datnoid (Coius microlepis)
2 Oscars
1 clown knife
1 Ornate Bichir
1 Liosomodarus onicinus
1 lima shovelnose
1 Prochilodus
5 Silver Dollars
 
Top Layer - AROWANAS (1 black/silver,)

Middle Layer - / 6 Chalceus macrolepidotus/ 2 oscar's / 4 Cichla monoculus

Bottom Layer - 2 ornate birchir's / 1 Liosomodarus onicinus / lima shovelnose

Liosomodarus onicinus - Oh now nellys got me drooling :drool:

I think if you can find a good priced asian aro then that is what I would personally go for,
I'd also definitely consider a flagtail prochilodus if you can find one.

my suggestion would be:

1 arowana
1 indo datnoid (Coius microlepis)
2 Oscars
1 clown knife
1 Ornate Bichir
1 Liosomodarus onicinus
1 lima shovelnose
1 Prochilodus
5 Silver Dollars


A huge thank-you to both nelly and Davo86 for helping my friend come up with the stock list. After some more research, we're most likely going to go with the list that you've suggested. My personal favorites are actually asian aro's (super red anyone? Soooo gorgeous :D) Unfortunately the U.S. doesn't allow asian aro's to be kept without a permit. Blah. Assuming we stick to the stock list you've suggested, what would you say is the best way to introduce them into the tank? (Who first, who second, etc.)

Obviously this tank is going to take a lot of time to completely set up and introduce each inhabitant, but I'm sure by the time it's done it'll look fantastic. :D
 
That's why i said the silver as the other's are banned, also was going to suggest channa until i saw where your from :angry:
Shall be up there with you soon mate, once ive settled in colombia then it's fish pond's and tank's galore :hyper:
Bet you 100% that will not end up stocked with same list, we all do it, write a list, get a fish and find a fish we like look of, best part of fish keeping.....
 
That's why i said the silver as the other's are banned, also was going to suggest channa until i saw where your from :angry:
Shall be up there with you soon mate, once ive settled in colombia then it's fish pond's and tank's galore :hyper:
Bet you 100% that will not end up stocked with same list, we all do it, write a list, get a fish and find a fish we like look of, best part of fish keeping.....


Most definitely! I like to have a plan beforehand though, just so I know what I'm doing LOL. And yes, he'll probably stick with the Silver aro and although I do like them, I'm still completely jealous of asian aro owners :P Still wondering about the order of intro though...
 
tbh it totally depends on the sizes of the fish you can find locally but one thing to make a note of is that these will grow at different speeds so when you add a fish you need to make sure that it is big enough so that if the other fish were at their adult sizes they still wouldn't be able to eat it

i.e. you don't want to add a small dat, oscar and aro at the same time and then a few months later when the aro has quadrupled, the oscar has tripled and the dat has only doubled in size find the dat being seen as food by the aro

Hope that makes sense
Dave
 
tbh it totally depends on the sizes of the fish you can find locally but one thing to make a note of is that these will grow at different speeds so when you add a fish you need to make sure that it is big enough so that if the other fish were at their adult sizes they still wouldn't be able to eat it

i.e. you don't want to add a small dat, oscar and aro at the same time and then a few months later when the aro has quadrupled, the oscar has tripled and the dat has only doubled in size find the dat being seen as food by the aro

Hope that makes sense
Dave

Oh yes, of course. I wouldn't want someone to become someone else's snack. :P So I guess what I'm asking is, who grows the fastest out of this bunch? And does the dat grow the slowest like I think it does?
 
There's alot of place's in america to get fish, i know of another site, where i see alot of fish for free in the usa also there's a site something like gumtree<anyone chime in if you know the name>
 

Most reactions

Back
Top