500 Gallon Monster Tank

MyraAlam

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 7, 2009
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Detroit, Michigan
Hello everyone! :)


When I needed help planning my 180 gallon, I got all sorts of lovely suggestions and pieces of advice from this forum. Now, I (or rather, someone I know) needs your help again! My friend wants to plan out a 500 gallon monster tank. He loves monstrous-sized fish, the bigger the better. However, he wants to keep a good mix of a few species. Can anyone help him out in terms of compatibility and how many of each would be suitable for this tank? His list of favorites are:


Oscars (any and all kinds)
Datnoids (same as above, although the Siamese Tiger is preferred)
Clown Knife
Motoro Stingray
Silver Arowana


Not all of these have to be included, and we're open to new suggestions! Thanks in advance for all your help! :D
 
What are the dimensions of the tank? That will be more important than its capacity as most of those fish need room to swim, so it would need to be quite long.
 
lol mystus wykii all by it self lol
 
What are the dimensions of the tank? That will be more important than its capacity as most of those fish need room to swim, so it would need to be quite long.

Agree on the dimensions, however a long narrow tank wouldn't be suitable for species like arowanas, rays etc.

for example:

200" x24" x24" gives you 499G
120"x30"x32" gives you 499G
60" x 60 x 32" also gives you 499G
 
Given that (please correct me if I'm wrong more knowledgeable members) Silver Arowena's can get to around the 3ft mark, I suspect that might rule them out.

I could well be wrong though, so please don't quote me on that. Looking forward to seeing some suggestions. Personally I'd probably stick about a million praecox rainbows in there, but thats a lack of imagination on my part.
 
Given that (please correct me if I'm wrong more knowledgeable members) Silver Arowena's can get to around the 3ft mark, I suspect that might rule them out.

I could well be wrong though, so please don't quote me on that. Looking forward to seeing some suggestions. Personally I'd probably stick about a million praecox rainbows in there, but thats a lack of imagination on my part.


Oh dear, that'd be bad. :( I was under the impression that Silver Arowanas were smaller than 3 feet but then, aggressive fish are not my forte. :P Any other suggestions?
 
oscars and arrawanas are both beautiful and can live for many years. they make fine pets and can become tame enough to hand feed! :hyper: my dad had an oscar that ate catfood out of his hand (it was that big!)
 
Silvers should be easily reaching 34-40" (eventually), however they are a very flexible and therefore 30" width is Just about doable.

Possibilities for the bottom levels, Bichirs, Lima Shovelnose, Tigrinus, Large Hoplos, large plecos, possibly rays but IMO they will restrict stocking

mid levels: flagtail, dats, Uaru, Severum, Chocolate Cichlids, Oscars, Silver Dollars, Tinfoils, Clown Knife, smaller bass, giant gourami, mbu

Top: arowanas, gars
 
hmm what i could do with that :shifty:

The Arowana requires at least a 200 gallon (750 liters) tank to adequately keep them

Any suggestions on how many to keep? And on what other fish to keep with them? He wants as nice a mix as possible so we're trying to work with that. :)

oscars and arrawanas are both beautiful and can live for many years. they make fine pets and can become tame enough to hand feed! :hyper: my dad had an oscar that ate catfood out of his hand (it was that big!)


How awesome! :D Any suggestions as to how many arowanas and oscars? And can I keep something else with them? Any comments about the other fish on the list? ^_^
 

Most reactions

Back
Top