4Ft Community Tank Start To Finish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I'm finding that the current flow of this filter is too strong ? I no people say filtration needs to be like tank capacity times 5 - 10 per hour turn around but all the food either gets blown into the far end of the tank or sucked into the filters intake. Does anybody else get that ? Is it as simple as turn the filter off for like 5 minutes to allow the fish to eat or should I try alter the filter speed ( if it's possible on this one ) ?
It's an aqua vital Avi-2300
Qmax is 2300 l/h

Just done another test out of interest and the results are as follows

Ph 7 maybe 7.2
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - between 20 and 40.

All levels deemed safe and have been since I added the harlequins. Gonna put a few more fish across tonight and test ten water change any ways tomorrow.

Looking good

I think I've heard of people turning the filter off while feeding. I'm not sure about your particular filter but there should be ways to baffle it or direct the flow elsewhere.

Glad everything seems to be going well :)

I think I'm gonna swap the gravel over. Everyday more snails come crawling out of the gravel and due to its size it is hard to vac properly. I'm planning on getting some a lot smaller and putting maybe 3" deep to hopefully anchor the plants better too. I am a bit worried about stressing the fish after just moving them though. Does anybody have any advice or recommendations on this ?

You might want to wait til everyone is settled in before making the switch of substrate, as when you do this it's recommended to take all the fish out.

I'd do sand if you can, it looks more natural and easier to clean (IMO) and most fish if they have a preference for substrate it is sand.

That does sound like a good idea. Had sand I'm my old tank. My only concern is the big arse plec stirring up the sand everytime it turns around. I'm starting more fish related research as I've found some Indian gouramis tha look lovely and I want to add them to the gourami community.

Flicking sand isnt a problem, my little flash pleco does the same thing but not really the same because hes 4" haha.

Flicking can be a sign of something, so would keep an eye on it. Some fish just do it though like Saw said.

Wait a week or so :)

More water tests done and alls the same. All my fish are in the tank now with the addition of 2 Indian/barbed gouramis. (Had to have the little fellas) I've decided to wait a while before swapping th substrate over which has led me to another idea. The lighting system is a single bulb that doesn't even fit in the hood properly. I think I'm going to build a new hood and lighting system. Only thing I can't decide is wether to try go for a few light strips/ bulbs (t5's are they?) or led style. I want to build it myself for the satisfaction of doing it but the wiring side could cause a problem. Setting up a post in the DIY section regarding this. Will try to add more pictures tonight. New tank and a new baby, don't get much chance ha ha

Glad water stats are looking good. Grats on your new inhabitants, would love to see some pics of them!

Building a new hood and lighting system seems a good way to go to me, if you're good at DIY anyways. Hopefully you get the help you need in the DIY section. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :D

Finally some update pictures ! the old laptop has a virus so i have to keep de-fragging it. Anyways, here is the Indian Gourami (one of 2)

indian gourami.jpg

Some of my other fish including my red tailed shark (which actually seems to have grown loads in 3 weeks)

fish.jpg

And a full tank shot as it is as the minute. Tried to make plenty of hiding places. 6 plants on the left are real with one fake one in between. Eventually most of the decorations will be coming out (except the plants) a full re-scape with sand, the lot with more (new) driftwood and slate caves. the slate cave i hope to be making this weekend, the re scape as and when i feel all the fish have settled in.

Hope you like the pictures :)

Attachments

• full tank shot.jpg
    full tank shot.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 129
Its looking good! And btw thats a rainbow shark, just wanted you to know what you got haha.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back