42 gallon build

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

A single 2x4 can hold over 1000 pounds and cinderblocks can support houses so its definitely strong! The cinderblocks need to have the holes facing up to be strongest.

Seems to be effective from every thing I've seen. I'm using two 2x4s on each level. Tanks only need to be supported on the corners so the gap wont matter. Itll be up tomorrow (or tonight if I'm impatient) and I'll post pics!

Edit: cory from aquarium co op uses cinderblocks for most of his stands
Yeah ive heard of people using them before and always wanted to try it, so im anxious to see your pics and hear how it goes. Good luck!

So for aquascaping this tank, I cant decide if I want to just do driftwood and plants, or if i want to cut the driftwood and stand it up vertically like trees and do moss and smaller plants like an underwater forest? I cant decide. Opinions?

hmm I don't know, both would look great I'm sure! If you go for the underwater forest, I think a lot of small crypts would look very good at the bottom!

hmm I don't know, both would look great I'm sure! If you go for the underwater forest, I think a lot of small crypts would look very good at the bottom!
I'll upload a sketch of both ideas soon!

Heres a rough sketch of option one, with the forest. Vertical wood for trees, with moss crypts and a few java ferns. Maybe some carpet plant in the open areas along with some leaf litter. One sideways piece for a "fallen tree"
Bad sketch sorry. It's hard to sketch depth into it

Attachments

• 20200526_192148.jpg
    20200526_192148.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 106
And for option #2 driftwood, plants, rocks.

The things on both sides are supposed to be sponge filters

Attachments

• 20200526_192818.jpg
    20200526_192818.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
If I go for #1 I'll need to find more driftwood to use but that's not a problem as my family goes down to the river all the time

Turns out I am DEFINITELY impatient so I'm setting it up now. Pics to come soon!

Well. Funny story.
I asked.my family to get me 10 cinderblocks. They went to the store. My brothers brought the blocks out into the backyard. There were only eight. I was confused and thought I must have accidentally asked for eight instead of ten so decided my big tank would have to go on top rather than on bottom as I planned because I needed to rearrange the blocks from the way I had planned.

I just finished painting the stand and setting it up when my dad came in and asked me why I left 2 blocks in the car. So I had to tear down the stand and rebuild it. I'll paint the other ones soon and add them to put the small tanks on top as originally planned. So I only got the bottom tier done but this is it.

@Crispii

Attachments

• 15905555273281247815604731897352.jpg
    15905555273281247815604731897352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Got the tank on. Pictures to come soon! I accidentally put the tank on backwards and didnt realize until I already filled it....so I have to get a new sticker thermometer. I know they aren't the most accurate but it still would've been nice haha

I have two thermometers on my tank...a digital and a stick on thermometer. Surpisingly, I find the stick on one to be pretty close to the digital one. They work ok on glass tanks but I have ready they are not as accurate on plexiglass tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back