The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just got a free 42 gallon long tank. Will attach pics soon.
Not sure what I want to do with it yet but will decide sometime soon :).

I washed it with water and filled it to make sure it dosen't leak. I will wash with bleach soon to sterilize.

That's awesome! Is this your first tank of this size?
Yes :) I have a 55, a 10, a 3.5 and I use to have a 20 but it cracked. I also have two 1 gallons for snails and shrimp. I dont have them occupied yet tho

Nice! Do you have an idea for stocking yet?
I have some vague ideas but definitely not sure yet!
Either an asian biotope, something else, or a species that needs conservation

Don't leave straight bleach in the tank for more than about 10 minutes because it can damage the silicon.

Which part of the 20 gallon tank cracked?
You can patch cracks with a piece of glass. Just get a piece of glass the same thickness as the tank and silicon it over the crack. Let it dry for a week and then set the tank up.

Don't leave straight bleach in the tank for more than about 10 minutes because it can damage the silicon.

Which part of the 20 gallon tank cracked?
You can patch cracks with a piece of glass. Just get a piece of glass the same thickness as the tank and silicon it over the crack. Let it dry for a week and then set the tank up.
Yes I only left the bleach water for a few minutes.
The face of the tank. We took it to the dump last year

It doesn't seem to be leaking :)

Ugh it does have a slight leak at the bottom. I was considering just putting a little silicone to patch it up but decided I will re seal the whole thing. Got any tips?

Check the silicon for cream or white areas, and for air bubbles in the silicon. These areas are where the silicon is breaking down and coming away from the glass.

Press the silicon with your finger and see if it is soft and squishy or hard and brittle. Good silicon will be soft but firm. When you press it you will be able to make a small dent in it but it should pop back up as soon as you move your finger away.

If the silicon is hard and doesn't depress, then it is old and drying out. As long as the hard silicon is clear and doesn't have cream/ white areas or bubbles, it should be fine.

If there are no cream/ white areas and no bubbles between the glass, then just use a single sided razorblade to trim the old silicon out of the corners. Do not cut it out from between the glass if it looks good. Just remove it from the exposed areas in the tank.

After you have removed the old silicon, wipe the area with a paper towel or cloth that has some alcohol on it and then wipe it down with some water on a towel. Let it dry and then use some aquarium/ glass silicon to go over the seams where the glass joins.

-------------
*NB* When you use silicon, try to do it outside or have the doors and windows open and a fan blowing.

*NB* Do not put your head in the tank when using silicon because the fumes can cause you to pass out.

It's really really squishy lol I'm gonna redo the whole thing

About to get started with removing the old silicone :)

be sure to use silicone that has no mold preventative...GE silicone 1 is good

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back