40g breeder plans...

I'm pretty sure mud skippers are brackish but I'll have to see... Also look at the tank size and other things.

Yes, mudskippers are brackish. I had them in the 1980's, fascinating little fishies. But they need brackish water, and space to swim and crawl/jump about. A terrarium-sort of habitat not a basic aquarium. They spend most of their time out of the water.

Opened the tank cover to feed them one evening, and the little rascal got so excited he jumped out and I was chasing him across the carpet! Didn't phase him in the least.

Yes, mudskippers are brackish. I had them in the 1980's, fascinating little fishies. But they need brackish water, and space to swim and crawl/jump about. A terrarium-sort of habitat not a basic aquarium. They spend most of their time out of the water.

Opened the tank cover to feed them one evening, and the little rascal got so excited he jumped out and I was chasing him across the carpet! Didn't phase him in the least.
That's hilarious 🤣🤣🤣

Had that happen in the shop a few times but it wasn't when we opened the tank. I was when I caught one in a net and he sat upright in the net and did a heroic leap off it. Then he took off across the floor with me trying to catch it with a net. They are quick little buggas.

Question... Can I use the 10g fluval heater and my 30g fluval heater combined to heat the 40g and save $$?

Question... Can I use the 10g fluval heater and my 30g fluval heater combined to heat the 40g and save $$?
you can but they probably won't heat evenly if they are different wattages. The higher wattage heater will work more than the lower wattage one

you can but they probably won't heat evenly if they are different wattages. The higher wattage heater will work more than the lower wattage one
I don't mind if they both work at different times, as long as its safe and it gets the job done...

Great! I will do that and then maybe later I can buy the required heater. Cause I don't want to have two heaters in the tank forever.

I also surprisingly got an ok from my mom to use the 10g on the side of the 40g to hold the adults in once I upgrade so that way I can make sure the 40g is safe. (I think the only reason she said ok was cause I said it shouldn't be longer than a week and I'm pretty sure it will be shorter than a week. I'm praying it will be. 😅)

Another thing... If I have enough money (I THINK I might)... I will turn my 20g high into a dart frog terrarium. I plan to do 2-3 of the same species that are small and classified as "thumbnail dart frogs" (this relates to their size there is no scientific classification for that).
With these guys it's opposite when comparing them to fishkeeping. The terrariums are fairly cheap to set up, meanwhile the frogs cost a fortune 😳
So I'm really not sure if I would actually be able to do this but it would be nice to have something living in my room. And if a thief comes in that doesn't know that their not poisonous, I can just threaten them with saying "I will throw my poison dart frogs on you!" 🤣

I was going to do leapord geckos but I measured my space I have and also looked at everything I'd need and it seems really expensive as well as more dangerous to keep as far as the heat lamps, heat pads and stuff like that 😬

Even if I can't do dart frogs, maybe mourning geckos or another type of frog. (Preferably less expensive 😂)

Well all the dart frogs (Dendrobatidae) I would want are extremely expensive... So I was gonna do mourning geckos (Lepidodactylus lugubris) if funds allow but nope... They need almost daily care and cant be left alone for more than two days. Which doesnt work if we go on vacation and Im not trusting anyone to look after them.
So the responsible thing to do is just not get them in the first place.

As my funds build for this project I am looking at other fish options to go with my gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda). The Corydoras Sterbai are a MUST for me in the 40g.
I am starting to consider the possibility of having Pseudomugil or Iriatherina werneri in my tank but I am still looking.
I noticed I like species from the Cyprinidae family of fish like Trigonostigma, danionins, and Barbodes.

All have beautiful selections of fish... Just gotta find the right one

Ok peoples.... So I think I know what I want for the fish selection in this tank!!

Peacock Gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda): 5
Sterbai Corydoras: 15
Psuedomugil Gertrude Aru II: 10-12
Lamb chop Rasboras (Rasbora Espei): 10-12

Anyone think this is overstocking? Remember this is a 40g breeder

Maybe only one top dwelling fish? Does seem a bit crowded possibly...

Ok peoples.... So I think I know what I want for the fish selection in this tank!!

Peacock Gudgeons (Tateurndina ocellicauda): 5
Sterbai Corydoras: 15
Psuedomugil Gertrude Aru II: 10-12
Lamb chop Rasboras (Rasbora Espei): 10-12

Anyone think this is overstocking? Remember this is a 40g breeder

Says my stocking level is 82%... I feel like that's a low reading for the amount of fish actually in there but idk

Most reactions

Back