40g breeder plans...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

This is a legendary dutch store that have a video of one of the species but very nice video as an example

Wills
I've seen these before, but never really investigated them - they're certainly cool looking! Would give your tank that "wow" factor, @Rocky998 , without the frenetic energy and colour that you seem to want to avoid?

But I know nothing about these types of fish, and I'm curious now! Want to find out about their normal habitat and how they live. Cool suggestion!

@Wills sorry, I forgot to ask - in that video you linked, do you know what the smaller fish are that are hiding in the plants behind the halfbeaks?

I've seen these before, but never really investigated them - they're certainly cool looking! Would give your tank that "wow" factor, @Rocky998 , without the frenetic energy and colour that you seem to want to avoid?

But I know nothing about these types of fish, and I'm curious now! Want to find out about their normal habitat and how they live. Cool suggestion!
Yes they do seem to be the golden ticket!
But I'm weird and there's always that little thing in my stupid brain like: "No, don't do it. You'll regret it." 🤣
I have to do more research on the species as it seems a lot of information on them is hard to come by...

But I'm weird and there's always that little thing in my stupid brain like: "No, don't do it. You'll regret it." 🤣

Not the stupid part of your brain at all, that's the sensible part of your brain preventing you from impulse buying something, and regretting it. Since we're dealing with living creatures here, it's even more important to listen to that part of your brain!
I have to do more research on the species as it seems a lot of information on them is hard to come by...

And that's very sensible. :) You have time to research and think it through, you don't even have the tank set up yet ;) and there's no rush to fill it immediately either, so take all the time you need. There's no pressure to make a decision. :)
For research, I'm following @Wills lead and trying to find videos of fish I'm interested in, in their natural habitat. Even seeing huge groups of cories or tetra in the wild, doing their thing, gives you a whole new perspective on how to keep them.

Not the stupid part of your brain at all, that's the sensible part of your brain preventing you from impulse buying something, and regretting it. Since we're dealing with living creatures here, it's even more important to listen to that part of your brain!
Yah I know... But it's also annoying because one day I'll meet a girl that is amazing and then that part of my brain will be like: "She a psychopath ain't she?" 🤣🤣🤣
And that's very sensible. :) You have time to research and think it through, you don't even have the tank set up yet ;) and there's no rush to fill it immediately either, so take all the time you need. There's no pressure to make a decision. :)
For research, I'm following @Wills lead and trying to find videos of fish I'm interested in, in their natural habitat. Even seeing huge groups of cories or tetra in the wild, doing their thing, gives you a whole new perspective on how to keep them.
I always research anything before buying. And animals I do months of research. Took me a year or more to finally get a real aquarium.
I may look into their natural habitats like you do...
I tried doing that for my peacock gudgeons. Barely any information for their natural habitats. Even in a freaking library!!

I'm starting to think half beaks aren't for me. First of all, very expensive. I wouldn't mind spending that much on them if it was actually the type of half beam I wanted (the Borneo redstripe). But sad!y it requires too low of a PH.
All the other ones kinda have very bland greyish coloration that may get a bit of color but nothing that spectacular.
(Again I'm not looking for a skittle rainbow colored fish. Im ok with a fish that won't have a ton of color but I do want there to be some sort of color).
I'm a sucker for a deep blue color. That's why I love blue phantom plecos.
Maybe a touch of blue for the top? Or something close to the color of the Borneo redline.

What sort of fish live in the same habitat as peacock gudgeons? Maybe start there. Then at least water conditions are likely to be the same.

What sort of fish live in the same habitat as peacock gudgeons? Maybe start there. Then at least water conditions are likely to be the same.
Lots of the rainbow fish mentioned before, like the psuedomuglis species are in the same rivers and streams as the gudgeons in the wild. Also dwarf neon rainbows.

Lots of the rainbow fish mentioned before, like the psuedomuglis species are in the same rivers and streams as the gudgeons in the wild. Also dwarf neon rainbows.
Ah, and you don't like the rainbows. No other types of fish? Must be more, surely.

Ah, and you don't like the rainbows. No other types of fish? Must be more, surely.
There are other gobies. And lakes with hard water.
Again information is very scarce and hard to come by when dealing with PNG

There are actually a few Papua new guinea aquariums on you tube. It takes some digging but I've seen 3, that one being the best

Found this kwagira river biotope!! Looks nice...
Gorgeous tank set up! Loved seeing the forktails zooming around, shame there were a couple of deformed ones. Are deformities common in psuedos, @Colin_T ? There was one with a really wobbly bent spine that appeared at 1:18. But with the amount of small ones, looks like they're successfully breeding in there!

You gonna get a mudskipper then, @Rocky998 ? :D Would definitely be different! ;)

Gorgeous tank set up! Loved seeing the forktails zooming around, shame there were a couple of deformed ones. Are deformities common in psuedos, @Colin_T ? There was one with a really wobbly bent spine that appeared at 1:18. But with the amount of small ones, looks like they're successfully breeding in there!

You gonna get a mudskipper then, @Rocky998 ? :D Would definitely be different! ;)
You can "adopt" fish on the wet spot tropical fish that have deformities. Some people buy them to give them extra love and care!
They do look really nice!

I'm pretty sure mud skippers are brackish but I'll have to see... Also look at the tank size and other things.
Seems like their peaceful in that setup.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back