40-gallon Neolamprologus Similis journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IMG_5809.JPG

How big are these guys again?

Males are around 2 inches and females are around 1.5
Cool. Thank you.
They are kinda bland in color but they do look cute lol. Makes me want to try and keep them someday

Would it be possible to add some Cyprichromis leptosoma to the tank?
The tank is just a little too short right?
What are the tank dimensions?
If the aquarium is 3 foot or longer, it is fine for a group of Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis.

at least 6, preferably 10 or more.

Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis are one of Lake Tanganyika's schooling fish and are food for bigger species like Cyphotilapia frontosa. The smaller fish live in huge groups (1000s of individuals) and hang out in open water.

In the groups each male has a little territory and tries to keep a harem of females but other males will sneak in and breed with them.

They don't show full colour until mature and males have colour but females are generally drab by comparison.

They are a mouth brooding cichlid and have small batches of fry containing about 5-20 young per batch. The babies can eat newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms as soon as the mother lets them out of her buccal pouch (sack in bottom of her jaw) to swim around.

They are quite a lovely peaceful fish but often ignored because they aren't brightly coloured like some of the other cichlids.

at least 6, preferably 10 or more.

Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis are one of Lake Tanganyika's schooling fish and are food for bigger species like Cyphotilapia frontosa. The smaller fish live in huge groups (1000s of individuals) and hang out in open water.

In the groups each male has a little territory and tries to keep a harem of females but other males will sneak in and breed with them.

They don't show full colour until mature and males have colour but females are generally drab by comparison.

They are a mouth brooding cichlid and have small batches of fry containing about 5-20 young per batch. The babies can eat newly hatched brineshrimp and microworms as soon as the mother lets them out of her buccal pouch (sack in bottom of her jaw) to swim around.

They are quite a lovely peaceful fish but often ignored because they aren't brightly coloured like some of the other cichlids.
Ok. I'll save up and get 10.

What about an Altolamprolugus species? Black Calvus are cool, I like Sumbu Shell too, but might be competition for the Similis. The Cypichromis are a really nice fish and I agree with Colin could be a good addition.

Some fairy cichlids - Brichardi's could be a good addition too. Might need more elaborate rock work for some of these species though.

Xenotilapia Flavipinnis which is a sand sifting species could be an option too - only getting to 3.5 inches and like the Cypichromis needs to be in a group.

Wills

What about an Altolamprolugus species? Black Calvus are cool, I like Sumbu Shell too, but might be competition for the Similis. The Cypichromis are a really nice fish and I agree with Colin could be a good addition.

Some fairy cichlids - Brichardi's could be a good addition too. Might need more elaborate rock work for some of these species though.

Xenotilapia Flavipinnis which is a sand sifting species could be an option too - only getting to 3.5 inches and like the Cypichromis needs to be in a group.

Wills
I think I might just go with the Cypichromis. With the similis at the bottom, an open water upper-level fish will be a good addition.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back