The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

LexiLex888

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So two nights ago I realized that one of my guppies had died. I didnā€™t see anything wrong and I figured that it was just of old age or something since he was an old fish. Then another one died and another!

I have recently added two new lamp-eye tetras (in addition to my one already in the tank) because Iā€™ve heard that they should NOT nip at my guppies. I thought that they were the cause of their death and I was thinking of moving them to a new tank but then I realized that one of the lamp-eye tetras looks like his scales are coming off or something (see pictures).

That tetra has been in the tank the longest. Is that signs of disease, or do you think the other lamp-eye tetras bullied him and the other guppies?

Attachments

• 4B6C3A45-65A2-4C4A-B566-5793D2226FFA.jpeg
    4B6C3A45-65A2-4C4A-B566-5793D2226FFA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
  • BC1CC214-B7C0-447A-A3EB-6E7EBA0DBF7F.jpeg
    BC1CC214-B7C0-447A-A3EB-6E7EBA0DBF7F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
Did you quarantine the fish in a separate tank before adding them? That looks like disease to me. My guppies bullied each other in the beginning but only their tails were affected and quickly grew back it never affected their scales.

I can't see the images clearly but if the scales are like a pine cone it may be dropsy.

Did you quarantine the fish in a separate tank before adding them? That looks like disease to me. My guppies bullied each other in the beginning but only their tails were affected and quickly grew back it never affected their scales.

No I didnā€™t :( Iā€™ve been meaning to set up a quarantine tank but I just donā€™t have the money that the moment so I just hoped to god that they didnā€™t have any diseases and released them in my tank. Do you have any idea what disease it could be?

The guppies have been getting along great together in the tank, Iā€™m not sure why theyā€™d bully each other :(

No I didnā€™t :( Iā€™ve been meaning to set up a quarantine tank but I just donā€™t have the money that the moment so I just hoped to god that they didnā€™t have any diseases and released them in my tank. Do you have any idea what disease it could be?

The guppies have been getting along great together in the tank, Iā€™m not sure why theyā€™d bully each other :(
Looks like dropsy to me too, it also looks like they could be open sores. Treatment is pretty cheap if you can catch it soon enough. And if you look at used tanks or even catch some on sale you can get smaller ones with filters for around $20-30

Can we have a better picture or the video of the fish?

Looks like dropsy to me too, it also looks like they could be open sores. Treatment is pretty cheap if you can catch it soon enough. And if you look at used tanks or even catch some on sale you can get smaller ones with filters for around $20-30
That's because the light is coming from behind the fish and silhouetting it, making it impossible to see features on the fish.
Yeah! Sorry, Iā€™ll take a better picture as soon as I get home.

Iā€™ll also look into getting a quarantine tank. Wouldnā€™t I also need a light and heater? Or do I not need those for a quarantine tank

AE41EEE0-DA85-4449-8BAE-45CF2996C9DF.jpeg
89872B7D-F3CF-4C6C-B127-EBDBB2D6F52C.jpeg

Itā€™s only the one neon tetraā€™s fins that look like that. I think heā€™s had the chipped fin like that for a while now but this would be the first time Iā€™ve noticed those white patches where he doesnā€™t seem to have any scales.

09F0FD87-4431-47A6-AC07-C5B941563AFC.jpeg

And these are my gouramis. Thereā€™s nothing wrong with their scales.

0985FE99-B54F-4639-94A3-908B9781A29C.jpeg

And this is the last guppy alive right now. I didnā€™t see anything wrong with him either.

That's because the light is coming from behind the fish and silhouetting it, making it impossible to see features on the fish.
Here are some more pictures of him. He died a few days ago as well as the last guppy but no other fish in the tank seem to be harmed at all, what the heck is this?

Attachments

• 288CB114-036D-48DA-8919-ACE06DD5403E.jpeg
    288CB114-036D-48DA-8919-ACE06DD5403E.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 183A9606-908F-47E6-9E43-B396C627F67F.jpeg
    183A9606-908F-47E6-9E43-B396C627F67F.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 101
Here are some more pictures of him. He died a few days ago as well as the last guppy but no other fish in the tank seem to be harmed at all, what the heck is this?
Looks like a bacterial issue which I battled as well alongside ich. I lost 5 tetra to it. Iā€™ve been using Kanaplex for bacterial and metroplex for ich. All my fish has improved since then. Maybe try that and search bacterial fish infections. :)

Some of my fish that died had no signs of the disease itself until they died. Treat early and fast as soon as something seems off is what Iā€™ve learned :)

Looks like a bacterial issue which I battled as well alongside ich. I lost 5 tetra to it. Iā€™ve been using Kanaplex for bacterial and metroplex for ich. All my fish has improved since then. Maybe try that and search bacterial fish infections. :)
Some of my fish that died had no signs of the disease itself until they died. Treat early and fast as soon as something seems off is what Iā€™ve learned :)
Ok awesome! Thank you so so much! Iā€™ll look into. and Iā€™ll start treating them tomorrow!

Ok awesome! Thank you so so much! Iā€™ll look into. and Iā€™ll start treating them tomorrow!
No problem!! Just google fish bacterial diseases or bacterial disease and the name of the fish youā€™re looking at and look at the pictures and symptoms and decide what seems similar to yours, then treat them with the best medication for it. Itā€™s hard when youā€™re a newer fish keeper but it helps to do your research! I wish you the best :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back