29g tank - not that happy...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Any ideas on how to get these disgusting snails out of my tank for good?
Could try assassin snails. I know it sounds counter intuitive to add more snails as a means of removing snails. I had a couple of them once and they never multiplied, but did make a dent on the bladder snail population i had. @Deanasue did you get some assassins recently?
Also. If you add loads more plants, you don't really see the snails that much anymore ?

Could try assassin snails. I know it sounds counter intuitive to add more snails as a means of removing snails. I had a couple of them once and they never multiplied, but did make a dent on the bladder snail population i had. @Deanasue did you get some assassins recently?
Also. If you add loads more plants, you don't really see the snails that much anymore ?
Ok, I’ll see if my LFS has any.

My main concern right now, is getting rid of all of the snails. My single Nerite snail obviously gets to stay. (Will the assassin snail eat my nerite!? ?)

My next purchase will be the light and the plants.

I would like to get one of those online “plant bundles”. @mbsqw1d, do you know any reliable online plant dealers?

I’m not really big on media “blends”, I just use the cartridges that come with the filter. :lol:

I’ll look into that batting, thank you!
MUCH cheaper, one bag lasts me more than a year, doing weekly water changes, and changing it out in 6 different HOB's.
Just for the time being, I added some floss that came with Amy old Tetra filter. (It was the floss bag, minus the carbon)

Now, from the bottom, the media is layered as such: Seachem sponge, Tetra floss, Seachem rocks, and Tetra sponge. (Sponge has bb from the old filter, that’s why it’s there)

I only have one right now. Waiting for snail mail (pun intended) to deliver 10 more.

I would like to get one of those online “plant bundles”. @mbsqw1d, do you know any reliable online plant dealers?
As I'm UK based I couldn't really say sorry buddy

Ah, ok.

Anyone in the US have any reliable plant websites to buy from?

——

I’m thinking of completely taking down the tank and starting over. Thoughts on this?

The reason why I would want to completely take it apart, is because 1) it’s nasty, 2) so I could get rid of all the snails, 3) so I can add more sand and maybe get a different sand, and 4) so I can reconstruct the layout from the bottom up.

I have bought plants from Modern Aquarium and BucePlant. Happy with both. @mcordelia bought a plant package from Modern Aquarium and I think she was happy with the assortment. I tend to avoid packages because I prefer to choose based on my needs and wants. Nowadays I'll get them from LFS since shipments appear to have normalized.

Note: make sure you quarantine them unless they are tissue culture, especially if you have shrimp as they could be treated with pesticides. Also, it will get rid of the snails you are trying to eliminate to begin with.

Before you go all ninja on the rebuild, start by taking out what you do not like and assess whether you have enough hardscape for what you'd like to do.

Add a couple of very well washed (organic if you can, just to avoid risk of pesticides) iceberg lettuce leaves and watch them come out. Lift the leaf and "attachments" and dispose responsibly.
Do I need to blanch them? I usually do so with cucumbers.

I have bought plants from Modern Aquarium and BucePlant. Happy with both. @mcordelia bought a plant package from Modern Aquarium and I think she was happy with the assortment. I tend to avoid packages because I prefer to choose based on my needs and wants. Nowadays I'll get them from LFS since shipments appear to have normalized.

Note: make sure you quarantine them unless they are tissue culture, especially if you have shrimp as they could be treated with pesticides. Also, it will get rid of the snails you are trying to eliminate to begin with.

Before you go all ninja on the rebuild, start by taking out what you do not like and assess whether you have enough hardscape for what you'd like to do.
I will look into those sites, thank you.

I’ve never quarantined before. What exactly does that entail?

Also, while we are on the topic of hard scape... I need more of it

Literally all of my tanks are made up of plants alone.

I have a beautiful piece of driftwood in there now, which takes up quite a lot of room. I definitely need more dragon stone though. My LFS sells it for a decent price, so I’ll look there. They always have big pieces that no one wants, so I may take those.

I’m just thinking I should completely take down the tank at some point, just so I can start over. If I try adding more plants now, I don’t think I would ever be happy with it.

Do I need to blanch them? I usually do so with cucumbers.

I will look into those sites, thank you.

I’ve never quarantined before. What exactly does that entail?
For plants I give them a dip in 3% H2O2 and then let them soak in a tank with water parameters identical to the tank with daily changes. After a week, I inspect to make sure no critters have survived the peroxide treatment, then I put them in the tank.

They always have big pieces that no one wants, so I may take those.
Ohko Dragon stone is very easy to break, so you could get larger pieces and then make lots of smaller ones out of some of them.

It is bound to be a fun project!

Edited to add: Modern Aquarium has hardscape and orders ship for free after $50.00 so something to think about if you decide to order plants from them.

Ohko Dragon stone is very easy to break, so you could get larger pieces and then make lots of smaller ones out of some of them.

It is bound to be a fun project!

Edited to add: Modern Aquarium has hardscape and orders ship for free after $50.00 so something to think about if you decide to order plants from them.
Ok, sounds like a plan. I think I will need more driftwood, so I may look on Modern Aquarium for that.

Obviously all of this is theoretical at this point, because I haven’t bought the light yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back