FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I’m not that happy with my 29g tank at my moment... I think it’s partially due to the lighting and due to the filter, but it’s starting to fail...

The plants in my 20g long are doing killer well, but the plants in my 29g tank are dying off. (Again I think due to the light)

A 29g tank is so tall, it makes it difficult to find plants that suit it. I didn’t think ahead with the initial layout of the tank, especially the substrate. I think I only put 1.5 inches of sand, when I should have put over 2 inches.

Anyway, I’ll upload pictures of it tomorrow, to hopefully show you guys what I mean.

Good night from Kentucky!

I've had good luck with anubias in my 29 gallon low light tank. Do you have anubias in your tank?

I’m not exactly sure what color spectrum it is, or what wattage. I use a cheap desk lamp with an LED bulb, not ideal...

Here’s what it looks like now:
3D1D8BB3-E11C-423D-B3CA-EA3A02702CB4.jpeg

See? It’s just sort of “blah”. The plants are failing and everything looks terrible.

The water never looks clear because of the filter, and the light is only concentrated in one area.

I’m considering wich one would be more important: A new filter? Or a new light?

I've had good luck with anubias in my 29 gallon low light tank. Do you have anubias in your tank?
I do have a little Anubias plant in the back left hand corner, but it’s not doing to good... :unsure:

Ok that’s it, I’ve had it. I’m saving up for a Nicrew Gen2. The light I have now is TRASH.

Here it is:
77BF2974-2B5E-4931-A7CB-B526CC35C377.jpeg

I’m going to remove all of the trimmings from last week, trim the plants in there now, replant some of the trimmings, and do a thorough substrate vacuum.

One of my corys was found dead today. He was the weakling and looked pretty bad. :(

Ok... I’ve had it. A new filter is I’m order: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NJ28T1X/?tag=ff0d01-20

I’m hoping it’s not to powerful.

Todays tasks include the following: water change, re plant trimmings, perform a GOOD substrate vacuum, and clean the glass.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I keep an AC30 and an AC70 on my 29G; have heard good things about the Tidals

They're relatively new, aren't they?

@PheonixKingZ , I keep only epiphytes and floating plants in my tall tank, and they seem to be doing great. Also, no algae. I do have a Fluval Aquasky 2.0 at 68% Red, 100% for Blue and Green, and 90% White, and full on for 7.5 hours a day, with a 30 minute slow in and out and direct sun for 2 hours a day when the sun comes out. I think the Nicrew 2.0 is comparable.

Plants: anubias, bucephalandra, java fern, marimo moss, pearl moss, hornwort, duckweed. Sand substrate for the corydoras.

This is an older picture, but looks about the same today, with a dark background and a bit lusher.

1614355971732.png

I keep an AC30 and an AC70 on my 29G; have heard good things about the Tidals

They're relatively new, aren't they?
I believe so. Looks like a really solid filter. Plus the media bay is HUGE.

@PheonixKingZ , I keep only epiphytes and floating plants in my tall tank, and they seem to be doing great. Also, no algae. I do have a Fluval Aquasky 2.0 at 68% Red, 100% for Blue and Green, and 90% White, and full on for 7.5 hours a day, with a 30 minute slow in and out and direct sun for 2 hours a day when the sun comes out. I think the Nicrew 2.0 is comparable.

Plants: anubias, bucephalandra, java fern, marimo moss, pearl moss, hornwort, duckweed. Sand substrate for the corydoras.

This is an older picture, but looks about the same today, with a dark background and a bit lusher.

View attachment 129879
Can’t wait to get a new light either, the one I have now is garbage. In time, it’ll happen.

Here is the tank after substrate vacuum, trimming, and water change:
image.jpg

The filter is doing a “really good job” :rolleyes:

Just use one of those double sponge filters with the surface agitator? They're cheap and very effective. It's all i used on my 30G sorority. You've had good results with the nicrew on your other tank, pic another one of those up and then experiment with different plants and hardscapes. You're probably not enjoying that tank as much as its the weaker version of your other tank. Try and pick up some cheap, easy plants online or from your lfs and completely change it. It'll probably end up being your favourite tank once you're finished.

I've made a conscious effort to use completely different plants, substrates and hardscapes in each of my tanks and I enjoy looking at them alot more than I used to.

Just an idea that works on a budget

I agree with the plants thing... it makes sense.

I’m going to buy the filter first, then the light, then the plants. :good:

OK, finally, we are getting somewhere...

The Seachem Tidal 35 is on order, and should arrive by the 3rd. After I make up that money, I will be purchasing the Nicrew Gen2.

It’s hard to juggle the cost of my hobbies... fish keeping, watches, knives, tech, etc. ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back