129G Planted Oddball Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

This is looking fantastic! The PVC caves & your background pic are fantastic! Can't wait to see the final set-up!

LittleTinca said:
This is looking fantastic! The PVC caves & your background pic are fantastic! Can't wait to see the final set-up!
Thank you very much! :D Can't wait either. I want this to happen even sooner now as the yellow angel is picking at some of the smaller fish in my 55g.

We put the caves into the tank.
SAM_3664_zps9caa85b8.jpg

SAM_3665_zpsfc8b9687.jpg

SAM_3666_zpsfe2c94f5.jpg

SAM_3667_zpsfb0fd4d7.jpg

They're all 12" instead of the pyramid being 10"..so if pyramid is put in facing forward there is almost no room at all in front of it. Still not much room even at an angle.
Me and dad don't really care for how they look in the tank so we're either going to redo them a bit smaller, or try making them look more natural following what Alasse has done :/

Oh i like em actually Nin, they look great! Once you get some more things added to the tank, plants etc, its gonna look brilliant

Alasse said:
Oh i like em actually Nin, they look great! Once you get some more things added to the tank, plants etc, its gonna look brilliant
Glad you like them! That's true. Perhaps we should wait til we get plants and then mess with them. I would still like them to be shorter though, they take up so much space D:

Just get a hacksaw and shorten them if that is what you want, then silicone and sand the white exposed bit (from the cutting)

Alasse said:
Just get a hacksaw and shorten them if that is what you want, then silicone and sand the white exposed bit (from the cutting)
Dad said it'd be hard to do them now but I will ask if he can do that. We're also wondering if the pyramid would've been better just straight instead of staggered.

I will ask him again if he can use the hacksaw though. :) Thank you~

Massive beautiful pipes  
laugh.png

Fish gonna love these for sure!

If you're still not happy due to size, I can see that hacksaw would be hard to cut through that because of the sand. 
Maybe a angle grinder with a stone cutter blade or something would give a decent cut on these pipes if your dad's got one.

Another suggestion might be is to blend the pipes a bit more in with covering them in a carpet plant or moss perhaps.

But as you already mention, might be best to wait until set up is complete with plants and everything else and then see how it looks 
yes.gif

I used a hacksaw to cut through the cement on my background, cant see where sand will be much different. Regardless of what you use though, cutting is an option

Ch4rlie said:
Massive beautiful pipes  
laugh.png

Fish gonna love these for sure!

If you're still not happy due to size, I can see that hacksaw would be hard to cut through that because of the sand. 
Maybe a angle grinder with a stone cutter blade or something would give a decent cut on these pipes if your dad's got one.

Another suggestion might be is to blend the pipes a bit more in with covering them in a carpet plant or moss perhaps.

But as you already mention, might be best to wait until set up is complete with plants and everything else and then see how it looks 
yes.gif
So glad you think so! I'm sure my dad has something that can do it.
Yep I planned on putting moss on them ^_^ Still trying to decide on what moss..I'd rather something other than java but then they all look the same to me! D:

Alasse said:
I used a hacksaw to cut through the cement on my background, cant see where sand will be much different. Regardless of what you use though, cutting is an option
I imagine if you could cut through that then this should be perfectly fine :lol: Good to hear.

Small update! We tried using spray foam on the PVC..and they floated. Did not want to have to take everything out to silicone them down and don't want to use slate.
Didn't get any pics unfortunately before dad cut the foam off. We're now trying out Quikrete which we quite like the look of! Just hope it stays after it dries.

SAM_3769_zps260a27d9.jpg

SAM_3770_zps26c96a09.jpg

SAM_3771_zps82abfdc5.jpg

SAM_3772_zps88750451.jpg

Opinions definitely appreciated. ^_^

looks more and more like a real cave now---good job

Fishmanic said:
looks more and more like a real cave now---good job
Thanks! I really like it.

We were worried as the clumps laying next to it were easy to crumble, but we had only waited til the next day. This stuff takes a week to cure, and today when we checked it is much stronger.
I cannot break the clumps though my dad likely could if he wanted to, so I imagine after a week we shouldn't have to worry about it falling apart
biggrin.png

Due to that we know we can go ahead and start on the other caves, so may have pics of those later :)

Didn't get started on the other caves yet :lol: Was quite tired yesterday.

In the mean time though we have finally ordered some wood for the tank.

Here they are (sellers pics, they havn't been shipped yet)

24x9x12 LxWxH
IMG_3696_zps42fc9737.jpg

32x16x20 LxWxH
IMG_3676_zps62aab0e1.jpg

Most reactions

Back