129G Planted Oddball Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ch4rlie said:
Everything lookin' good 
cool.png

Liking a lot of this, having a glass top is a great addition.
The power supply control box is a good idea, makes life so much easier just being able to switch things off and on rather than pulling plugs out etc, plus hides the wiring making things look a bit tidier.
Digital thermometer, i have the exact same model, its a decent thermometer and easy to read and fairly accurate, a good tip would be to have a glass thermometer inside the tank opposite sides so you have 2 references for comparison for average temp so a good guide.
The EI ferts will be great for the plants, let us know how you get on with that, mixing & dosages and daily routine etc, i'd really like to know how that works out.

The pipe looks great, just a pity is white inside, maybe you'll get used to it or something can be done, or just do a new one with black pvc pipe perhaps.

This is whats good about this journal, everyone can see and learn good tips what to look out for and how tanks can be improved with subtle ideas.

Excellent work Ninj, keep it up, you're doing good 
wink.png
Very good idea Ch4rlie! Will likely get another thermometer for the other end.
My only issue with the glass top is if there are water droplets on the inside, I try wiping at the top and I'm like oh..oops. :p

I really like the box, for the reasons you mentioned. Probably not something ya'll want to hear but it's much easier to hit those switches than unplugging things with wet hands...

I asked the guy who sold me the ferts (well just mentioned that I wasn't sure how much to dose) and he responded with what to do!
"100-125 Gallons 
1 1/2 tsp KNO3 3x a week
1/2 tsp KH2PO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp K2SO4 3x a week
1/2 tsp (30ml) traces 3x a week" He pulled that from HERE, I hope that's okay to link as we don't have anything like that on this site I don't think.

Dad has siliconed the inside of the PVC pipe, and then stood it vertically and filled with sand. Will leave for 12 hours to cure and pick it up and excess sand should all fall out. Hopefully that looks good.

Thank you so much for the compliments :D

Alasse said:
Looking good Nin!!

What about some black krylon fusion spray paint and do the inside of the tubes?? It is aquarium safe once cured
smile.png

Also with ya canister Nin, ya really should shorten the green tubes, the filter will be working harder having to pump through the twists and turns and un-needed hosing
smile.png
Thank you! Ooh brilliant! That'd save us on silicone. You mean THIS, right?

Oh? I will ask dad about shortening them. Could that be why the flow doesn't seem very good? Or is it just cause the spraybar isn't pointed at the surface, more like straight forward?

AquaPit said:
just remembered something that i wanted to say the first time.i saw your background...

it looks like lightning striking the rocks!
tongue2.gif
(or have i said it already?? Lol!)

Love the electrical switch box thingy!
It does, doesn't it?! :lol:

Ryan10 said:
Looking good.  Glass lids make a world of difference.  I have been switching all of my tanks to glass. 
Thank you! They are really neat ^.^ I'm just worried about my hand slipping and them smashing!

Here's the PVC pipe filled with sand, and our little cave making station :p

SAM_3416_zps5fcb73de.jpg

SAM_3417_zps951430c0.jpg

SAM_3419_zps3078a1fd.jpg

OMG! loving this. going to have to go through and read more in depth here in a bit!!!!!
shout.gif

Ok. Read through.... :yawn:

:p

Can't wait for the fish Ninj. This is awesome.

ReMz said:
Ok. Read through.... :yawn:

tongue2.gif

Can't wait for the fish Ninj. This is awesome.
Sorry I bored you! :-( I can't wait either XD

wow this is amazing, i love what u have done with the base n wow those pipes looking good i cant wait to see fish in this and complete :)

Zikofski said:
wow this is amazing, i love what u have done with the base n wow those pipes looking good i cant wait to see fish in this and complete
smile.png
Thank you so much :D I can't wait to see fish in it either. I hope they like it.

No updates really right now, the pvc cave from before is done I think. We have 3 others sprayed with black Krylon and waiting for those to dry and such.

Dad was thinking of arranging the PVC pyramid differently, hopefully this pic shows what he means. They'll be attached to each other, but in a staggered position.
This seems more natural to me than just the standard pyramid but would love to hear others thoughts on it.

Once the Krylon dries I'll take some pics of what we mean, just wanted to get this idea out. :)
PVC_zpsbce2bb70.jpg

This looks great so far!! Looking forward to seeing additional updates.

Well maybe 30 mins after posting that image dad went ahead and did it :p I like it I think..and he made all of the pipes 12" so sizes are a bit different than I had originally planned. Should be fine though.

Can still see some white spots, they'll get covered up. Shiny black inside is black krylon fusion like Alasse recommended.

SAM_3432_zpsf072d61e.jpg

SAM_3433_zps213dc2eb.jpg

SAM_3434_zpscf7eebb3.jpg

SAM_3435_zps163c5c58.jpg

SAM_3437_zps55be14f3.jpg

2nd Sunsun came in yesterday, as well as some Matrix. ^_^ Still waiting on bamaplants to get the ones we want in, and keeping our eye on manzanita-driftwood for some nice pieces.

This is AWESOME. love to see a plan like this being followed through to the T with adaptations when needed.

OHHHHHHH this tank will be so cool.

ReMz said:
This is AWESOME. love to see a plan like this being followed through to the T with adaptations when needed.

OHHHHHHH this tank will be so cool.
Ahaha glad you think so! Though it's changed a bit from when I first was thinking of layout in the tank.

Remember this picture? :lol: I much prefer what it's turned into.

harhar.png

i like how the caves have turned out, ive done the same thing with pipes and black sand, nice way to give the fish a hiding place that blends in pretty good :)

Most reactions

trending

Back