10 gallon stocking idea

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's what I tought for the amazon sword I kind of hoped it was a dwarf version of it lol.

The "species" was Echinodorus bleherae, which is now known to be a variant of E. grisebachii. The different sizes this plant can attain is likely due to the fact that this species includes "species" that were known as E. amazonicus, which was said to grow smaller. Yet they are the same species according to the DNA. Clearly some grow larger and some smaller. I have seen this in my tanks over the last decade or so. The advntitious plants I cull from a huge swordplant will remain small like these for months and even years in another tank. While others will in time grow larger in a different tank.

The "species" was Echinodorus bleherae, which is now known to be a variant of E. grisebachii. The different sizes this plant can attain is likely due to the fact that this species includes "species" that were known as E. amazonicus, which was said to grow smaller. Yet they are the same species according to the DNA. Clearly some grow larger and some smaller. I have seen this in my tanks over the last decade or so. The advntitious plants I cull from a huge swordplant will remain small like these for months and even years in another tank. While others will in time grow larger in a different tank.
Interesting, I didn't know that.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

This explanation from my profile of this plant species.

Confusion has existed for the past few decades over the number of species in the genus Echinodorus, and many have been known under different names. In his earlier study of the genus, Rataj (1975) listed 47 species. A major revision by the botanists R.R. Haynes and L.B. Holm-Nielsen (1994) listed 26 species. In his 2004 revision, Rataj increased the number of species to 62. More recent work by Samuli Lehtonen—incorporating phylogenetic (DNA) analysis—proposed 28 valid species (Lehtonen, 2007). As of 2013, The Plant List and the World Checklist of Selected Plant Families (maintained by Kew) have 30 distinct species listed for Echinodorus.

Haynes & Holm-Nielsen (1994) considered the species E. bleherae, E. amazonicus and E. parviflorus to be conspecific [the same species] with E. grisebachii. Kasselmann (2002) suggested that the different habitus of the submersed plants between these three "species" is reason to retain the present names in the hobby. But Lehtonen's extensive phylogenetic analysis (2006) basically supports the findings of Haynes & Holm-Nielsen, with a few changes, and this classification is now accepted. The former “species” that are now deemed to be within the one polymorphic species E. grisebachii are Echinodorus amazonicus, Echinodorus amazonicus var. parviflorus, Echinodorus amphibius, Echinodorus bleherae, Echinodorus eglandulosus, Echinodorus gracilis, Echinodorus grisebachii var. minor, and Echinodorus parviflorus. Differences in appearance between these plants are apparent and seem dependent on the specific environment in the aquarium; this seems likely to also occur in nature, what can be termed transitional forms of the species. But the limited genetic variation within the complex is insufficient to establish reasonable groupings (Lehtonen & Falck, 2011).

This species epithet grisebachii takes precedence over the others under the rules of the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature because it was the first name assigned to the species, and this was by the American botanist J. K. Small in 1909; the name honours the German botanist H.R.A. Grisebach (1814-1879).

Could pygmy corys and rasboras brigittae work together? If yes how many of each. (I would change my tank so it's suitable for the corys)
Agree. I had a 10g running for a few years with groups of 11 Boraras brigittae and 9 Corydoras pygmaeus. I could easily have had more of these, or another upper fish species, but these were the only two micro fish I had at the time, and the tank was an experiment of sorts as it had no filter, just plants, and no light just window light. Sand substrate. After a year I added a light and sponge filter and moved it away from the window. But the fish and plants thrived in this set-up.

You guys inspired me again!
My original plan is to keep Mosquito Rasboras and Cherry Shrimps in a 15 gallons tank....with much plants, driftwoods and sand.

But it seems that Mosquito Rasboras and Pgymy Corydoras are also a good option!

You guys inspired me again!
My original plan is to keep Mosquito Rasboras and Cherry Shrimps in a 15 gallons tank....with much plants, driftwoods and sand.

But it seems that Mosquito Rasboras and Pgymy Corydoras are also a good option!
Maybe the 3 could work? Byron said that he could have had more of the pygmys or another small upper fish specie... Maybe 10 pygmy corys, 10 Boraras brigittae and 5 cherry shrimp?

I had those 3 species in a 45 litre (11.4 gallon) tank, though it did have a 24 x 12 inch footprint. I should warn you that when I had to close the tank and move the occupants to my larger tank, I counted 92 cherry shrimps ranging from adults to newly hatched babies :)

I had those 3 species in a 45 litre (11.4 gallon) tank, though it did have a 24 x 12 inch footprint. I should warn you that when I had to close the tank and move the occupants to my larger tank, I counted 92 cherry shrimps ranging from adults to newly hatched babies :)

That's what I hope to see...babies shrimps.... Lol
I was telling my 10 yrs old nephew that I am planning to keep some shrimps.
Then he replied, "let me eat"...LOL.

By the way, how much water did you change each week with the shrimps in the tank?
I read from the internets that we are not to change too much water for shrimps tank. Is it true?

Also, did you put a lot of plants and driftwoods?
Thanks in advance.

Because my shrimps have always been in tanks with fish, I've done at least 50% every week. I've read that too about shrimps not liking big water changes but mine have had to cope with big water changes. Maybe I would have had 200+ rather than 92 with smaller water changes, but they do seem to cope.

The shrimps have always had wood and plants - though the plants are all the type attached to wood, and floating plants mainly water sprite.

Because my shrimps have always been in tanks with fish, I've done at least 50% every week. I've read that too about shrimps not liking big water changes but mine have had to cope with big water changes. Maybe I would have had 200+ rather than 92 with smaller water changes, but they do seem to cope.

The shrimps have always had wood and plants - though the plants are all the type attached to wood, and floating plants mainly water sprite.

Thanks for the sharing!

See this Pygmy Corydoras selling at SGD1.20.

Yes great video. Worth noting that many of those species are quite active swimmers so be wary of too small tanks. Also great that they were shown in large groups, which is as it should be.

I changed the wood position to allow more swimming place, the pygmy corys would also have a cave/shaded area. So should I remove it or there is enough swimming place ? (picture below)
I went at home depot and they didn't have the sand but they said the will get some soon so that's good :)

Attachments

• 20200706_170116.jpg
    20200706_170116.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 108
I changed the wood position to allow more swimming place, the pygmy corys would also have a cave/shaded area. So should I remove it or there is enough swimming place ? (picture below)
I went at home depot and they didn't have the sand but they said the will get some soon so that's good :)

Get more wood, branches if you can (these are hard to find, I know) but another chunk or two of wood would be good. Cories of all sizes love browsing and grazing surfaces. My pygmies are rarely on the substrate...in fact, about the only time they are is when they are fed shrimp pellets. The daphnia and Bug Bites they grab mid-water, or off plant leaves of among floating plant roots.

I was going to post a video of this, but it says the file is too large, so I will have to make a short one when I feed them tomorrow, if I remember.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back