10 Gal Tank - What Would You Do?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
well we've now moved back into our house after all the building work and I've managed to persuade my lovely fiance to let me set up my little 10 gal tank again... not for a little while, we need to get the house re-organised, but in the next month or so.

just starting to pull together ideas for the tank, thought I'd share them with you lot and as ever would happily hear any suggestions!

Got a little internal filter running on the main tank so there will be no cycling issues to contend with, will just steal that one.

I'm not after a single species, I'd like a community type affair with minature fish really, I usually stock to around 1.5" per gallon.

I'm thinking of pgymy corydoras as yet undecided between the three species, possibly a pair/trio of sparkling gourami's, then not sure if they're too big or not but maybe a shoal of ember tetras......

so thoughts anyone, i'm fairly set on the cory's however any small shoaling/feature fish recommendations would be well received.

decor will be low tech/low maintenance planted basically cos I'm not very good at keeping plants alive so will just be easy growers, maybe a few interesting bits of wood covered in moss......

It doesn't really go with your spec. but I'm doing my first tank, a 15 gal, and want about 12 ADFs and maybe a male betta... :)

So glad to hear from you! Fantastic you are getting back in the house!

Plan sounds fun - it would be cool to do a tetra shoal of one of the colorful types but perhaps one we generally see fewer recommendations for. I'm sometimes struck when looking at various tetras in the LFS by how beautiful some of the ones are that I seldom think about that much, H&Ts, rummys, scissors, I don't know, those ones with the more torpedo body shapes rather than the lemon,bleeding,blackskirt type shapes.

ooooh, 10g and wanting lowtech, perfect opportunity to try out a walstad soil underlayer.. I have notes from her recent talk and I think OM47's been experimenting with one.. what she did in demo was extremely simple.

WD

i would have a nice planted with sand substrate, and pygmy cories, some ember tetras- bout 8-10 and then a honey gourami, if it fits you could also have some cherry shrimp or snails as cleaners

:)

Sounds like a good plan.

you could change the tetras to rasboras if you wanted.

im getting some corydora pygmaeus next week.

i am stocking very similary to yours

If it were my 10 gallon I would get some nice P. furcatas. Of course I am biased though, I mean rainbows are such wonderful fish. Maybe add a nice Java fern with some cabomba in the back. For substrate I would use fine gravel over some laterite or other plant substrate. And if I had room I would put in a nice peice of mopani wood.

Just a few thoughts :)

It doesn't really go with your spec. but I'm doing my first tank, a 15 gal, and want about 12 ADFs and maybe a male betta... :)

see i do like adf's but i've found them tricky to feed in community tanks.... might be easier in a small tank though. Not going for a betta though, I know people's opinions vary but personally I find they do best in their own species tank and that's not what I want with this tank.

So glad to hear from you! Fantastic you are getting back in the house!

Plan sounds fun - it would be cool to do a tetra shoal of one of the colorful types but perhaps one we generally see fewer recommendations for. I'm sometimes struck when looking at various tetras in the LFS by how beautiful some of the ones are that I seldom think about that much, H&Ts, rummys, scissors, I don't know, those ones with the more torpedo body shapes rather than the lemon,bleeding,blackskirt type shapes.

ooooh, 10g and wanting lowtech, perfect opportunity to try out a walstad soil underlayer.. I have notes from her recent talk and I think OM47's been experimenting with one.. what she did in demo was extremely simple.

WD

ha ha go on WD, I know you're itching to type me up your write up on her talk......

Yeah I love rummy noses as well but they're a bit big, the embers I can't remember the max size but they're definately one of the smallest tetras.

i would have a nice planted with sand substrate, and pygmy cories, some ember tetras- bout 8-10 and then a honey gourami, if it fits you could also have some cherry shrimp or snails as cleaners

:)

cherry shrimp are definately a possibility, if not probably will end up with some amano's in there..... think they've been in just about every tank i've ever had!

Sounds like a good plan.

you could change the tetras to rasboras if you wanted.

im getting some corydora pygmaeus next week.

i am stocking very similary to yours

thanks, yeah I'm contemplating Harlequins for our main tank at the moment, wouldn't want them in both, but I do like them.

Also contemplating some of the micro rasbora species for this tank, I rather unsucessfully tried with boraras bridgitte a while back and wouldn't mind another crack with them possibly....

If it were my 10 gallon I would get some nice P. furcatas. Of course I am biased though, I mean rainbows are such wonderful fish. Maybe add a nice Java fern with some cabomba in the back. For substrate I would use fine gravel over some laterite or other plant substrate. And if I had room I would put in a nice peice of mopani wood.

Just a few thoughts :)

Oh I'm totally sold on Rainbows, but we have a big group of m praecox in our main tank, want some variety from what I've already got or have previously kept.

keep the suggestions coming!

DP's is species tank though, not suitable for a community.

yeah it is pushing it but at a stretch you could have a single/pair of dwarf cichlids. and as i'm sure you all know i do love my dwarf cichlids, but i've had them in lots of tanks before so I'm looking for something different.

just a suggestion, what about bumblebee gobies, they may require brackish, and i know its probably species, but its different!

Most reactions

trending

Back