1/24/24 is National Peanut Butter Day

I much prefer natural peanut butter without any additives as I believe it is healthier. Teddie natural smooth peanut butter is the brand I buy.

Peanut butter is loaded with so many good, health-promoting nutrients, including vitamin E, magnesium, iron, selenium and vitamin B6. It also provides melatonin which can aid in falling asleep.

Peanut butter also contains omega-6 fatty acid. This fatty acid lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol and increases good (HDL) cholesterol. In addition, peanuts are a natural source of arginine, an amino acid that may prevent heart and vascular disease by promoting good blood vessel function

But PB is high in calories...so eat in moderation. 2 tbsp has about 190 calories.

Last edited:
National peanut butter day?! Since when has this been a thing and why am I only learning about it now??? Peanut butter was my childhood staple and we ate it everyday with jam in a sandwich. If my mum felt extra she'd make us peanut butter sandwiches with Lyles golden syrup 🤤 now there was a treat!

As a grown up I still eat it in a sandwich or on toast but love cooking with it too, especially in a curry with lots of lime and coriander

National peanut butter day?! Since when has this been a thing and why am I only learning about it now??? Peanut butter was my childhood staple and we ate it everyday with jam in a sandwich. If my mum felt extra she'd make us peanut butter sandwiches with Lyles golden syrup 🤤 now there was a treat!

As a grown up I still eat it in a sandwich or on toast but love cooking with it too, especially in a curry with lots of lime and coriander
What’s Lyles golden syrup?

Syrup.jpg

Essjay beat me to it...these days I buy it in a squeezy bottle, opening the tin was always a sticky mess and it would end up everywhere!

The only information is that it is "Partially Inverted Refiners Syrup" and contains no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives.

It is indeed very sticky and almost impossible to measure by taking a spoonful out of the can. Last time we had some, it was in a squeezy bottle as well.

hmmm...

Just going back a bit...
We should have international peanut butter celebrations, but the Australians probably want equal billing for their strange yeast by product things.
I'm assuming you mean Vegemite? Haha- Vegemite day is already a thing (June 16th) and vegemite celebrated it's 100th anniversary last year. Before all you non-Aussies start labelling Vegemite (I'm not actually that much of a fan, but some of my friends are die-hard pro-vegemite) as 'the key ingredient in bitumen' (I've heard that before) most people I see eating it are so incorrect I'm surprised they don't die of vegemite poisoning. Here is a simple diagram:
1706134118497.png

And sorry, this topic is about peanut butter, so here's my two cents: Yuck. It's my dog's favorite food, though, so we always have some in the pantry.

Last edited:
Every Sunday I make ten bag lunches for the homeless. The sandwich in the bag is always peanut butter and jelly. My wife and I got Covid Sunday so we could not deliver the lunches. We have been eating peanut butter sandwiches all week. I think it cures Covid.

Most reactions

Back