The Indecisive Journal Of Trod's 5 Footer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Right now the biggy. To keep the V2 1200 or get smaller V2 or Deltec.. decisions decisions

Deltec MCE600....... Would you take £110 delivered?

You never know what you come across these day
ATB
seahorse1-1-1.png

i was wondering the same thing, i have never seen that kind of notice before lol!

very innocent answer I suspect :good:

But would love to think BigC had been naughty :kana:

Seffie x

:fish:

:lol: Colin, she can't get one by you can she ^_^

Pfft, there is no such thing as overskimming, it's all speculation by those who understand niether the biology of corals, natural reef environments, nor the physics of foam fractionation (protein skimming). I'm not going to go into the details, but the natural reef is an EXCEPTIONALLY nutrient POOR environment. Corals have evolved their biology to deal with and live in this nutrient poor environment. We as aquarist should be trying to reach this nutrient poor state through skimming and use of refugia to reproduce the natural environment in our tiny micro-environment tanks. Furthermore, skimmers ONLY remove bi-polar organic molecules. They DO NOT remove vitamins and minerals the corals need.

There IS such a thing as wasting electricity through excessive skimming though. In an article in advanced aquarist online magazine recently, the authors quantitatively compared skimmer performance. Their conclusions found that protein skimmers are exceptionally good at removing organic wastes, and do so in a matter of hours upon the introduction of that waste. They further found that the limiting factor in skimmer performance is neither throughput (flowrate), air flow, nor method (venturi vs needlewheel vs downdraft etc), but rather that the limiting factor in skimmer performance was the volume of the reaction chamber. All the bells and whistles and claims mean nothing compared to the size of the skimmer. Indications were that you could certainly buy a skimmer that was so big that if/when bi-polar organics are introduced, the skimmer could remove them in a matter of an hour or so, then merely be spending energy the rest of the time doing nothing of use...

So where does that get us practically? Buy a skimmer that's reliable first. Second, avoid ones with small reaction chambers like the Redsea Prisms, Jebos, or Seaclones. Not only are some of those unreliable, but they're small and undersized too. And lastly, try to avoid skimmers with large in-efficient pumps. Downdraft type skimmers (more popular in the states) guzzle electricity for no good end, and some really oversized needlewheel pumps also gobble up the juice for little purpose.

So Trod, if the skimmer you have is a decent size, and is reliable, go ahead and just use it :)

Hi Trod

Watching your journal with interest, cannot wait to follow your adventures.

Went to one of our LFS sunday and thought of you as they had a beautiful black lionfish, he was stunning. :drool:

Watching with interest

Kelwoo

Thank you ski, you have made my mind up, I shall go with the V2 1200 which I already have, I've got to buy a pump and was told to get one at least 3000l p/h. and all the tubing :crazy: guy I bought it from did tell me everything I need to get, but stupidly I didn't write it down so I will have to have a look and see what it needs, no doubt I shall be back with more questions soon :blush:

Thank you kelwoo, They are gorgeous fish, I'm so looking forward to the day I can finally sit in my chair and watch them :drool:

If you bother to write it, we bother to read it :good:

Quite right tiger :good:
Yes ski, I read it all, although more than once, as it takes me a while to get my head round it. I do get there eventually :blush:

Cheers Ben I'll have a look and do re think :blink:

Look what arrive this morning :yahoo: my 2 heaters, they are really nice, thanks for the recommendation BigC :good:

IMG_0528.jpg

Thoughts please guys 'n' girls EHEIM COMPACT 5000 PUMP Good, Bad, rubbish :dunno:
I've had a look at site Ben showed me and need at least 3400l p/h so this would fit the bill.

Not used that specific pump but eheim in general make some really good kit so I would say its probably pretty good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back