Zucchini - my fish love this stuff!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been putting a slice of zucchini in my aquarium for a while now. At first the only thing that paid any attention to it were my snails. I still have not seen my rubber lip pleco or butterfly loach touch it, but they could be in the middle of the night, I don't know.

But now all the rest of my fish love it! I put a new slice in about every other day. I also put it in the shrimp tank and they really love it too. I am so glad I found out about this from people here on the forum. I never would have thought about putting a veggie in my fish tank

They go crazy for veggies. I buy a small cucumber every now and then just to feed the fish. No-one in our house eats cucumber - my other half looks at me like I'm crazy :p

Thanks!! I saved that list to my pc.

I wish I could figure out an easier way to keep things from floating. I don't know about this other stuff, but the zucchini has to be tied down to something or it floats around.

Oh and another thing about it, I have read in different places to only leave a piece of zucchini in the tank for about a day, and if it is not eaten take it out. But I have found, at least in my tank with my inhabitants, that they don't really want it until it starts to get to the point of being really soft. So soft that if I try to take it out it comes apart. That is when the fish love it the most and it will disappear overnight once it get to that point. Usually a couple of days in. They just start attacking and devouring it when it gets softer.

The snail loves it no matter what its condition though, hard, soft, those snails don't seem care on way or another

I use an old teaspoon to get my courgette (what we call zucchini in the UK) to stay down. I just skewer the handle through a slice.

No-one in my family likes courgette (zucchini) so I slice it and freeze it. I find the slices are softer once they've thawed. With fresh courgette, blanching it in the microwave also softens it - I put a slice in a dish with a bit of water and microwave for 30 seconds.

I use an old teaspoon
Same here, What ever you use just make sure it isnt sharp as the pleco could damage its mouth.

I have been using thread and tying it to two bio glass rings, then I bury the bio glass in the gravel and it stays down. It is such a pain though

I just pour boiling water on slices and leave it for a bit then give it a little squeeze and it should sink when you drop it in, also freezing and thawing generally works too.

I have been using thread and tying it to two bio glass rings, then I bury the bio glass in the gravel and it stays down. It is such a pain though
They sell veggie clips with suction cups at the pet store if you are interested :)

I didn't know about veggie clips. I will look for one. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back