Zooanthids, A WARNING

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I noticed on Wikipedia it says this:
In order for this toxin to be dangerous to humans, the average aquarist would need to ingest the zoanthid in sufficient quantities. Average handling, propogation and aquarium maintenance is unlikely to pose any danger beyond a localized skin reaction.
Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoantharia

Maybe one of the more experienced members should edit that, because it really makes you think they aren't that dangerous!

I would do it, but I really don't know enough about them, and I don't want to misinform anyone.

Thanks.

I noticed on Wikipedia it says this:
In order for this toxin to be dangerous to humans, the average aquarist would need to ingest the zoanthid in sufficient quantities. Average handling, propogation and aquarium maintenance is unlikely to pose any danger beyond a localized skin reaction.
Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoantharia

Maybe one of the more experienced members should edit that, because it really makes you think they aren't that dangerous!

I would do it, but I really don't know enough about them, and I don't want to misinform anyone.

Thanks.

Okay...I'm a little late to respond to this, but for what it's worth, it was a nudibranch that poisoned the author of the post, not a zoanthid, palythoa or parazoanthid. Nudibranchs save up the toxins they collect from their host organisms. This is why nudibranchs poison closed systems when they die. They release stored-up toxins.

The indigenous people of tropical countries where these colonial polyps occur, use them on their arrow, and spear heads to immobilize their prey. Much like how poison dart frogs are used.

Okay...I'm a little late to respond to this, but for what it's worth, it was a nudibranch that poisoned the author of the post, not a zoanthid, palythoa or parazoanthid. Nudibranchs save up the toxins they collect from their host organisms. This is why nudibranchs poison closed systems when they die. They release stored-up toxins.

The indigenous people of tropical countries where these colonial polyps occur, use them on their arrow, and spear heads to immobilize their prey. Much like how poison dart frogs are used.
It's true, all of it's true.

-Lynden

Another important lesson learned by me from reading this forum. Glad I'm doing my research BEFORE setting up :/

I have just started in this hobby of reefkeeping but from the very start, due mostly to the reading and research I had done online, I have found a very good use for my Scuba Diving Gloves. I use a type of glove from ScubaPro that is a very thin snug neoprene and leather dive gloves and they work great in the tank. I am glad this person was OK after all is said and done. but as someone before posted ALWAYS wear gloves when handling item that could potentially contain toxins.

I have just started in this hobby of reefkeeping but from the very start, due mostly to the reading and research I had done online, I have found a very good use for my Scuba Diving Gloves. I use a type of glove from ScubaPro that is a very thin snug neoprene and leather dive gloves and they work great in the tank. I am glad this person was OK after all is said and done. but as someone before posted ALWAYS wear gloves when handling item that could potentially contain toxins.

Just remember to wash and even sterilize the gloves when you're done using them. The toxin from zooanthids and palythoa (palyotoxin) can and will remain active even on dried surfaces for days or perhaps even weeks after drying... You dont wanna put the gloves on dry 3 days after working with zoos, scratch your eye, and not be able to see for a few days :crazy:

I have button zoos in my tank at the moment. After I am done handling things around the rock my hands tingle. Is that the toxin at work?

Yup, thats an acute exporsure to palyotoxin allright. Dont touch your mouth, face, eyes, or any other mucous membranes before you wash your hand. You can numb yourself in seonds if you do.

Uhm, what if the tips of your fingers start to feel numb... :unsure:

Wash them thoroughly and prepare to go to the hospital if needed... And make sure anyone whose with you knows the situation to notify emergency personnel of wher you encountered the toxin.

Wow! I knew they were poisonous, but I didn't know you could get it through the skin. I think I have some in my tank, and I've had to pick em up, move em, brush my hand against them to get something, but I've never been poisoned. I'm beginning to wonder if what I have are accualy zoanthids. I'll try to post a pic if I can figure it out.... :huh: :/

Oh, I just looked em up, I don't have zoanthids...I coulda swore they were though lol... Oh well... :shifty:

the zoas we have dont have palyotoxin, if you were actually exposed to that you would be dead

Wait...I looked at the wikipedia link at the top of this page, thats not zoanthidea. I do have zoanthidea, geeze, thats scary knowing that I own the most poisonous animal/plant thing in the world...lol

Zooanthids or Zoanthids all contain palyotoxin but that toxin cannot be absorbed through the skin by just touching them. However in the example atop this thread the subject squished a zooathid eating nudibranch which concentrates the toxin in its tissues. In squishing it with his finger he probably breached the skin just enough to let the highly-concentrated toxin into his body.

When handling zoos or zoas just make sure you don't do it with cuts on your hands/fingers, and that you don't touch your eyes/nose/tonge before you wash your hands.

Most reactions

Back