Zooanthids, A WARNING

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
saw this on a UK forum board and thought i'd bring it to your attention...

First I'd like to say that I'm ok. And second, I hope that some of you might avoid a simliar experience. I have a small nano reef tank that I've recently set up at work. Its an 18g softy tank that I planned to showcase zooanthids in. So a few weeks ago, I purchased about 10 colonies from the logical reef, and set up the little nano for them. About two weeks ago, I noticed a small nudibranch on/in some of the zooanthids. I actually posted here about it to get an ID. I didnt want anything eating my new zooanthid colonies, and I wanted to make sure I didnt need to remove it from the tank. The ID came back as tentatively a zooanthid eater, so I just made the decision to remove them. I'd been picking them out of the tank for about the past week without any thought or worry. Today however, was a different story. I saw one of the little nudi's on the front glass, and I thought that instead of pulling it out, I'd just squish it against the glass. So I reached in and with my index finger, I pressed it into the glass. The thing was about the size of a small zooanthid polyp, or about the size of a pencil ereaser. I saw a little bit of the goo inside it squeeze out, and then I brushed it off my finger in the water with my thumb, pulled my hand out and wiped it off with my towel. It only took about 5 seconds for me to realize something was wrong. I got a hot flash. I didn't think anything of it right at that second, but I sat down and turned back to my computer. About 20 seconds after that, I got another flash, and I noticed that my heart rate was starting to rise. I immediately knew something was seriously wrong. I waited another 30 seconds before I turned around and told a coworker of mine to dial 911. He gave me a questioning look, and I said that I really meant it, and so he said alright, turned around and dialed. At this point, I started to get dizzy, and my heart was really starting to ramp up. This is maybe 90 seconds after I squished the little nudi. He hung up the phone and said they were on their way, and I started to explain what happened in case I lost consciousness before the EMT's got to me. He knows a bit about my hobby, so he understood what was going on. I propped my feet up and tried to breath slow, but it was getting harder to breathe, and my heart was still going faster. The EMT's got there in about 4 minutes. I work in DC and I'm only about 2 blocks from the whitehouse, and 5 from George Washington Hospital, so it thankfully didnt take long. They came up and lifted me out of my chair, put me in an orange chair, strapped me in and got me on oxygen. They carried me out of my work, with everyone looking on of course, into the evelvator and down into the ambulance. The EMT asked me to describe what was happening, so I told her I was having trouble breathing, my heart was racing and I was dizzy. She took my blood pressure. At this point it was about 150/80 and my heart rate was 115bpm. She laid me back, turned up the oxygen, and we headed off for the ER. It only took another 3-4 minutes to get back to the hospital. There was some traffic, so they asked me if I could walk to a wheel chair. I said I'd try, but as soon as I stood up, I collapsed. So they put me back on the stretcher, and took and extra 30 seconds to back the ambulance in to the dock. They then wheeled me into the centrel of the critical care unit. At this point, they hooked me up to another blood pressure machine. At this point it was about 10 minutes since exposure, and my blood pressure was 169/70 and my heart rate was 154bpm. They wheeled me into a big room, and hooked me up to oxygen again. Three doctors arrived and started to question me. At this point, my fingers on both hands had begun to tingle, simliar to when your hand falls asleep and you start to get blood back in it, only about twice as many pins and needles. I told them this, and I described how the tingling was moving from my fingers up my arms. The sensation made it to my elbow before it started to receed. This is about 15-20 minutes in now, and my thighs began to have a low burning sensation from the inside. This moved down my leg on the inside and back up the outside. Around 25 minutes, my legs went numb. My fingers were also numb at this point, though not to the extent that my legs were. Around the 30 minute mark, I started to shake. Not a violent movie style shake, but a low tremble in my thighs and hands. I could not control it. They actually had to have me sign something at this point, and what ended up on the paper was not really recognizable as a signature. This intensified slightly for about 10 minutes, though never to the point where I was bouncing around on the bed. Just a shake that I couldnt stop. A little more than a shiver when you are really really cold. Around 40 minutes, this started to subside. They took my tempurature, and it was normal. I had another couple of hot/cold flashes, and my hands began to feel cold and clammy. They checked my breathing and heart with a stethoscope, and asked if I had any pain anywhere. I didnt. They also took my shirt up and checked me over for rashes. I didn't have any. For the next 15 minutes the hot flashes continued, but I felt like my heart was slowing down. I kept taking my own pulse to make sure my heart was still beating. At 150bpm, you can't really tell that your heart is beating, its just tripping along inside your chest, and I wanted to make sure it didn't stop or start to flutter on me. I dont know what I would have done about it, but it made me feel better. Around an hour, there was a noticable decrease in the number of flashes, and my heart was coming back down to where I could count the individual beats. They stopped constant watch over me, and my coworker and boss showed up. I was starting to feel better at this point, and I was chatting with them for maybe 20 minutes. It seemed like the worst was over, so my boss went back to work, and my buddy stayed with me. He sat with me for about an hour until another doctor came in. He checked all my reflexes, asked me a couple of questions and then left. I got up to go to the bathroom, and was able to walk down the hall without too much trouble, though I was still dizzy and felt very weak. I layed in the critical care room for another two hours as my strength slowly came back, and things went back to normal. Around the 4 hour mark, my blood pressure was back down to 132/76 which is normal for me, and my heart rate was 86bpm. At this point, I actually felt pretty good, and asked to be discharged. They agreed and let me go. Diagnosis: Toxin Exposure of an unknown nature. I'm supposed to take it easy this evening and if anything funny starts to happen, call 911 again. To be honest, I feel ok now, a little out of it, but I think its more from stress than any risidual toxin. One important thing to note, was that even though I described the zooanthids, and the palytoxin they are known to produce, the doctors were unable to dig up any resource with any information concerning treatment or antidotes. They even called the national aquarium in baltimore for information and came up dry. As I was leaving, I actually logged on to reef central and showed them the palytoxin threads. They were amazed. They filed away the information for later use. I'ts about 9:20 now, I've been out of the ER for about 3 hours. This whole thing started around 1:30pm today. I guess what I want to get across is, that, despite the inherent beauty of our hobby, there are dangerous things that live in our tanks. I wont stop keeping tanks because of this, and if anything, I've just been given a deeper respect for what comes out of our oceans. But please, be aware, and be careful. After 6 years of uneventful reef keeping, I've come to love this hobby, and I thought I knew what was going on and had it all under control, but I was put in my place today. It just goes to show you that we still all have so much to learn, and we have to be careful about learning it. Thank you. marine keepers like it salty

Thank you to Foxman, hmv4u and Jerry lewis for bringing this post to peoples attention.

I love these things but made a promise a long time ago not 2 get em cuz i just dont want n e thing that potentially poisonous in my tank. I stick to mushrooms

Not as severe as the story above but this happened to me two days ago. I was working on my reef tank when the back of my hand brushed against some zoos. At first I didn't think anything of it but a few minutes later my hand started burning. A rash started developing where I'd been stung, the burning grew more intense and then my hand started swelling up. I took an antihistamine and told my husband what happened. I also wrote down what the corals were and a brief description of the toxin they produce (I read that thread at RC too!). I told him that if I was having problems to call 911. A short bout of tightness in my chest then the antihistamine kicked in and everything slowly returned to normal. I went to work that night (I work night shift) but I can tell you I felt quite dragged out all night - more so than usual!!
So yeah people, be careful when dealing with corals!!

Navarre, its good that your okay. Great true life story, almost sounded like something from a horror movie. :sick: . Hey if anyone reads this gloves, gloves, gloves. Get some surgical gloves, Walmart, LFS, Walgreens, etc.. Whenever my Hands are in the tank, my precious hands are wearing gloves.

Always use gloves in your reef tank. SH

the question is... what gloves...

medical / sergical gloves contain talc... not something that i would want to introduce to the tank... what do you use guys and girls ?

I use just gloves you can buy at the hardware/supermarket. They do have talk on them, but after I put them on, I rinse the powder off under the tap. :nod:

I knew this too, the nudibranche's become poisious becuase they eat the zoo's. I had a massive attack of these things when I had my big reef, forever hovering them up with a siphon. (which I sucked on before knowing!! :crazy: )

If you search ultimatereef you will also see a case of someones dog dieing becuase it licked a zoo colony in a bucket while it was being acclimatised.

Apparently zoo's are one of the most toxic creatues in the sea!! Some are worse than other though. On a par with keeping a scorpion, heh!!

MARINE LIFE PROFILE:

ZOANTHIDS

Hawaiian name: depends on species

Scientific names: Palythoa species and Zoanthus species

Distribution: Indo-Pacific, including Hawai‘i

Size: polyps to 1 inch (2.5 cm), colonies variable in size

Diet: drifting detritus & nutrients from symbiotic algae

These anemone-like cnidarians encrust rocky surfaces, grow within cracks in wave-swept tidepools, or form mats in sandy back reef flats. Individual polyps may be less than 1.5 inches, but the colonies they form can cover much larger areas of the bottom, to several feet in diameter. The amount of tissue shared by colony members also varies: in some species the polyps share only a common basal stalk; in other species, the individuals are deeply embedded in a shared mat of tissue, as in the carpet zoanthid (Palythoa tuberculosa).

The zoanthid's short tentacles do not appear to be effective for capturing large prey. Instead, the tentacles and disc-like area around the mouth collect particles of suspended organic matter (detritus) drifting in the water. Symbiotic algae living in the zoanthid's tissues also contribute to their nutrition.

Some zoanthid species are toxic, the mucus of the gut cavity contains a potent nerve toxin. Early Hawaiians referred to this species as " limu-make-o-Häna", the deadly seaweed of Hana, and reportedly used it to poison their spear tips. This toxic species (Palythoa toxica) is found in wave-swept rocky pools, but is not known to be common. However, caution is advised when exploring tidepools and sandy flats - if you cannot distinguish between toxic and non-toxic zoanthid species, it is best not to touch any of them!

Classification:

Phylum Cnidaria (Coelenterata)

Class Anthozoa, Subclass Zoantharia (Hexacorallia)

Order Zoanthidea

Family Zoanthidae

So the toxin can be absorbed through the skin? I was always under the impression you needed to have a cut or some other entrence into the body.

Usually true, but when you squish it with your hands all bets are off... Could puncture the skin just enough to allow some toxin in. There are some toxins which are dangerous to skin contact too... No way of knowing which was the case here.

Navarre, its good that your okay. Great true life story, almost sounded like something from a horror movie. :sick: . Hey if anyone reads this gloves, gloves, gloves. Get some surgical gloves, Walmart, LFS, Walgreens, etc.. Whenever my Hands are in the tank, my precious hands are wearing gloves.

so the lesson is always wear gloves and just incase have ?antiheptamines? in reach

so the lesson is always wear gloves and just incase have ?antiheptamines? in reach

The lesson is, wear gloves, and pay attention to what your doing. If your fragging, watch where your frags end up, wear glasses or a welding mask, and be careful.

Im not 100% sure about the use of antihestamines for a poison like that present in Zoanthids, just go to your Hospital if you do get a reaction from some zoo juice! :lol: I wouldnt bother about self medicating Antihestamines in such a situation, but you could ask a local GP.

Most reactions

trending

Back