Zoanthiods Poisionous?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

enjoiskater158

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i have a rock of zoo's i bought from thatfishplace about a week ago without knowing they were poisionous and have touched the polyps a couple of times and have not gotten stung. i found out today that they were poisionous and was a little concerned. so what i was wondering was, are all zoanthiods poisionous or just some species?

Yes, they're poisonous. Use latex or nitrile gloves, or tongs to handle them. The wetwebmedia link quoted below says it all, and a good paper from JBC on the toxin.

From a good journal (JBC): http://www.jbc.org/cgi/reprint/258/13/7900.pdf

Other links:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i1/blane...s/zoanthids.htm
Quoting from above: Zoanthus and Palythoa both contain very toxic chemicals, that are dangerous to both reef inhabitants and humans. The most well known is Palytoxin, which has been documented as one of the most poisonous marine toxins known (Mereish et al, 1991). Palytoxin can affect the heart, muscles, and nerves leaving its victim in paralysis, and possibly death. Because of the toxin, you should never handle Zoanthus or Palythoa with open wounds, nor should you touch your mouth or eyes after handling the species. (Editors’ note: We recommend the use of disposable latex gloves) When propagating either of the species, it is critical to remember that the slightest rub of an itchy eye, or even a small cut from a hang nail, might be enough to land you in the hospital. In the aquarium, some rapid growing Zoanthus colonies can be aggressive to stony and soft corals, but in general, they are very peaceful, and you can slow the growth rate by the controlling the overall nutrient load of your tank.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-zoanthid-coral.htm
Quoting from above: zoanthid coral are also equipped with poisonous toxins that can sting other creatures from the tips of their tentacles. This is solely for protection, not to paralyze animals for food.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Han...eaking4_97.html
Quoting from above: Also be careful with Zoanthids, they are poisonous. Wash any of their mucous off if touched and don't accidently rub it in your eyes or they can swell up. Palythoa are used by islanders to make poison arrows.

:crazy: i've touched the zoa's in my tank and i'm fine :S

Me too. They won't sting you or anything but if you have a cut and break one of them open it could be an issue. But... I confess I don't bother wearing gloves although my wife does (she's smarter than me) ;)

this is one thing im really nervouse about because id like some zoas but i dont want to risk dying as i quite value my life. Also i wear gloves but find myself with constant cuts on my hand

this is one thing im really nervouse about because id like some zoas but i dont want to risk dying as i quite value my life. Also i wear gloves but find myself with constant cuts on my hand

Where's your sense of adventure? :)

Yeah, most zooanthids/palythoas contain poisons. As mentioned, they need a way to enter your bloodstream (open wound/sore/etc) before they can cause damage. This injured area will have to come in direct contact with the zooanthid, AND it will have to want to sting you. Often times zooanthids do not release their poisons from their nematocists upon contact. They will typically shrink back and only attack if repeatedly agitated. Finally, most zooanthid toxins are not dangerous to humans in small doses. There are only a select few which are harmful in the manner of a zooanthid sting. Where people really get into trouble is when they're allergic to the toxins... That brings anaphylactic reactions and other not fun complications for those who have health problems.

Yeah, most zooanthids/palythoas contain poisons. As mentioned, they need a way to enter your bloodstream (open wound/sore/etc) before they can cause damage. This injured area will have to come in direct contact with the zooanthid, AND it will have to want to sting you. Often times zooanthids do not release their poisons from their nematocists upon contact. They will typically shrink back and only attack if repeatedly agitated. Finally, most zooanthid toxins are not dangerous to humans in small doses. There are only a select few which are harmful in the manner of a zooanthid sting. Where people really get into trouble is when they're allergic to the toxins... That brings anaphylactic reactions and other not fun complications for those who have health problems.

i often read these over the top scare mongering type zoa related poisons etc etc

but skifletch reply puts it in prospective,

how many lfs staff do you know that got poisoned from dealing with these corals daily lol,
i think you'll find the common bristle worm (ole spikey) is wat most staff try not to handle lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back