Zero Nitrate Reading

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

darryl864

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just wondering if there is a problem with having a zero Nitrate reading?

I have a 30Ltr tank with plants & bogwood.
4x X-Ray Tetra
4x Endlers
7 Cherry Shrimp
Several pesky snails

Roughly every week (sometimes more) I gravel vac which removes about 5 Litres (sometimes more) of water. I only do this to vac the gravel as this looks dirty. Every time I test the water I always get a zero reading.

Could a zero Nitrate reading be starving my plants?
Would it be possible to add more fish?

Hi Darryl,

A nitrate reading of 0 is quite common in planted tanks and is nothing to worry about. Keep up your water changes, don't reduce them to try to up your nitrate level, it's not really good practice.

Live plants prefer to feed on ammonia anyway, and if there is ammonia available in the tank, which there invariably is when there are fish present, the plants will use ammonia as their main food source, and use nitrate only as a secondary source.

If your tank is lightly stocked with fish and you think the plants may be suffering because of the lack of ammonia and nitrate being produced as a result of this, you should try a fertiliser. "Tropica Plant Nutrition +" is considered to be amongst the best.

Hope this helps. :good:

BTT

Agree completely with BTT's advice (as usual!)

Sounds like a smallish tank with plenty of plants and a light load of fish, a good recipe for a healthy aquarium!

~~waterdrop~~

I'm going to Wiltshire to get some water!

I get 40ppm nitrate from the tap here :angry:

0 nitrate ammonia and nitrite and a steady as anything pH of 7.2 in sunny yorkshire. :D

no need, it's quite simple, everyone should live in yorkshire. there is no sensible alternative :p :lol:

Im just wondering what test kit u used, if its the api one, are you shaking bottle 2 up vigarously? if you dont do this you will get a 0ppm reading..

Im just wondering what test kit u used, if its the api one, are you shaking bottle 2 up vigarously? if you dont do this you will get a 0ppm reading..
yeah, good point, I think the 30sec and 1min shake stages are "minimum"(!!)

dorsey, you've got your new career: FedEx-ing bottled TANK water! :lol:

no need, it's quite simple, everyone should live in yorkshire. there is no sensible alternative :p :lol:

Right now I reckon there are thousands of Yorkshire dwellers horrified at your suggestion :lol:

Want one of us 'Suverners' next door to you 'Ducks'? :hey:

Right now I reckon there are thousands of Yorkshire dwellers horrified at your suggestion :lol:

Want one of us 'Suverners' next door to you 'Ducks'? :hey:

pmsl

considering i was born in Norwich i should be careful what I say! :D

Most reactions

trending

Back