Zebra Danio Injury? Disease?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bobby9ine

Reaction score
Hello,

1 of my 6 Zebra Danios has had a few issues the past few weeks. I noticed a white spot on its mouth, at first I didn't do anything as it was going down fast, a few days later the white spot had completely gone. No other fish in the tank had got it either.
received_945792549251889.jpeg
A day later, I noticed a lump on it's side, thinking it was an injury it suffered from maybe the bogwood or rocks, as it was the biggest in the tank, it loved to chase the others around, it might of knocked into something while doing that, as they shoot around very fast. Or it had something to do with the white spot it had previously.
received_2372535959717883.jpeg

The Danio has been in a quarantine tank (25L/5G) for a week now on it's own, treating him with API Melafix, I treated it with that as I did believe it was just a bruise as it didn't seem to be behaving like it was suffering with a specific disease.

A week into quarantine the swelling has halved but what i think is bruising has coloured immensely, the 2 marks also seem like ulcers, I'm just not sure on what to treat it with.
Any suggestions on what I should treat this Danio with would be much appreciated, thanks.

Below is its current state. I've made it pale by turning the lights off for a fair few hours, it's much easier to see the issue. It swims, acts, eats completely fine.

Screenshot_20200818-004816_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200818-004816_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-004816_Gallery.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 210
  • received_2372535959717883.jpeg
    received_2372535959717883.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Do the spots seem fuzzy? How often do you clean the filter? How often do you preform water changes?

What are your water parameters?

(Had to put that “preform” - thanks @AdoraBelle Dearheart. :lol: )

Do the spots seem fuzzy? How often do you clean the filter? How often do you preform water changes?

What are your water parameters?

(Had to put that “preform” - thanks @AdoraBelle Dearheart. :lol: )

Do the spots seem fuzzy? I wouldn't say fuzzy, the top one looks like a scratch, the bottom one however looks like a red hole.

How often do you clean the filter? I have 2 filters in my main tank, I clean 1 of them once a month, take it in turns. Quarantine tank, I haven't cleaned the filter yet, as it's only been setup during this week, in there is used gravel from the main tank and rocks that was used in main tank.

How often do you perform water changes? I do 25% weekly, treated with Tetra Aquasafe, using a gravel cleaner. Same with Quarantine tank.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 40, PH 7.6

Your nitrate should be under 20ppm all the time. You may have to get a little RO (reverse osmosis) water, to lower that nitrate.

Is the red spot on the underside near the anus? If so, it may be a gravid spot.

Has it stopped eating? Any other symptoms?

How often do you perform water changes? I do 25% weekly, treated with Tetra Aquasafe, using a gravel cleaner. Same with Quarantine tank.
I see what you did there, and I approve ;)

I'm sorry I can't offer any help with your danio, it's beyond my experience I'm afraid, I don't know what's going on with him. The fact that he's had these marks for a few weeks is worrying. If it was an injury, I'd have expected it to have healed up by now.

Your nitrate should be under 20ppm all the time. You may have to get a little RO (reverse osmosis) water, to lower that nitrate.

Is the red spot on the underside near the anus? If so, it may be a gravid spot.

Has it stopped eating? Any other symptoms?

The red spot is located above it's left pectoral fin.

It eats fine, I feed it once a day with King British tropical flake, I've also fed it once with frozen dried bloodworm and ate completely fine

I see what you did there, and I approve ;)

I'm sorry I can't offer any help with your danio, it's beyond my experience I'm afraid, I don't know what's going on with him. The fact that he's had these marks for a few weeks is worrying. If it was an injury, I'd have expected it to have healed up by now.

haha.

No worries, mate. Thanks for your time :)

The red spot is located above it's left pectoral fin.

It eats fine, I feed it once a day with King British tropical flake, I've also fed it once with frozen dried bloodworm and ate completely fine
Ok, does the red spot look like an injury? Or a pimple?

I’m trying to figure out what is actually wrong here - the fish doesn’t look sick, it looks malnourished.

I’m trying to figure out what is actually wrong here - the fish doesn’t look sick, it looks malnourished.

The red spot looks more like an ulcer than anything, the mark above it I think is where the body was swollen and the scales are repairing itself as the body was pointed at the specific spot.

I can't figure it out either, I can send you an updated picture with it's colour back to normal?

I've attached a better quality picture of the problem, he does seem a little less of itself today...

Still swimming normally. Fed it flakes just now, ate normally.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200818-182346_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200818-182346_Gallery.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 247
He looks all normal, save that injury.

I would preform 40%+ water changes per day for a week, or until it goes away.

It just looks like a flesh wound - that will heal fast. Put him in with the other danios, he looks lonely. :)

Personally I would keep him in the QT. Under the skin fish are just <coff> fish food and you don't want other fish nibbling at him. To further reduce the risk of infection I would up the daily water changes to 75% (again much easier if he is in the QT) and use aquarium salt at a dosage of 1 tablespoon per 10 litres. Dissolve this in water before adding to the tank. When you do a water change only add enough salt for the water you are replacing. Keep him in the salt for 2 weeks and then stop adding salt when you do the water changes.

Most reactions

Back