Your Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Myatt72

Reaction score
I'm a little worried that I have too much rock in my tank. I have a Jewul 180 cornor unit. In the tank are approx 25 chichlid fish mainly labs and red zebras and orange fin zebra. but the tank has 2 boxes of ocean rock. Would this be too much.

Alos have a blue lobster in the tank only 3"at the moment, good idea / bad idea?

All help, gratefully received :crazy:

this is what mines like now

P4180071.jpg

could probably do with a couple more caves tho.

this is how i had it before.

P1010022.jpg

I'm a little worried that I have too much rock in my tank. I have a Jewul 180 cornor unit. In the tank are approx 25 chichlid fish mainly labs and red zebras and orange fin zebra. but the tank has 2 boxes of ocean rock. Would this be too much.

Alos have a blue lobster in the tank only 3"at the moment, good idea / bad idea?

All help, gratefully received :crazy:

Donā€™t know if there is such a thing as too much rock? Are the cichlids that you have all mbuna? If they are lots of rock is great. I donā€™t know about blue lobsters, as I have never had one so I cant give you any advice.

Below is a pic of my tank, lots of rock as you can see. The rock all the way to the surface really does encourage the fish to use the entire area of the tank, plus the top rocks get loads of light and therefore have great algae growth, thus giving the fish something to do and help reduce aggression.

dscf1165.jpg

dscf1237.jpg

tanks

I need to go and get some larger boulders today for my rearanged happs tank, dont need to over do it as i dont want to create caves and hidy holes, just a more natural look. how have your boulders held out tanks a lot? as you know, happs and peacocks are more open water cichlids so I want to give them the space rather than clutter the tank. my mbunas are a different kettle of fish, and anyone who has got to know me a little better will know that I love my rockwork, the more the better. I have about 200kg of ocean sat doing nothing, its in the form of 5 large pieces, and its what i have just taken out of the 6ft tank so it either needs to be sold or I need to get my 100 gallon tank set up and get my mbunas in there, along with the rock. its all go when you keep malawi cichlids, but then you folks already know that. LOL

how have your boulders held out tanks a lot?

They are perfect and havenā€™t moved an inch. They also seem to be very good for algae growth as the way they are stacked limits the growth really only to the flat area and not the sides, thus the whole tank isnā€™t covered in green. In addition the darker colour of the sandstone helps hide large area of green that can sometimes be very visible on tufta or other such light coloured rock. Brewyn, I saw your pics of the "large is not the word" pieces of rock that you removed from your tank. Very impressive, makes my rockwork look like stacked up pebbles. Considering this is a rock topic I think you should post the pic again!

Thanks for the pics so far My tank does seem to have a lot more rock. Thought these fish liked the holes to swim through? will get photo ofmine on her when i get a camera! :good:

as long as you have support for your rock work you should be fine.

blue lobster= american CRAWDAD, MUD BUG, CRAWFISH....hope you have a tight lid they escape easily but thats IF..... the mbuna let it live thru a molting..99% die/ get eaten during molting, the lfs should have advised you of this.

hey, nick sw, how did you get a photo of my tank! I WISH, will post some photos of my tanks when I put the new rock in. not sure what I keep anymore, (rocks or fish) LOL.

Hi Myatt

You can't ever have enough rocks in a Malawi Tank. I got over 100 pounds of rock in mine.

Tanksalot : I would love rocks like that for my brackish tank.

DSC00567.jpg
DSC00513.jpg

Sabby

hello people. I have just changed my tank from this, which had various mbuna, happs and peacocks.
Picture119.jpg

To this, which now only has my happs and peacocks.
92d12ca4.jpg

and another one.
Picture241.jpg

my list of fish now in this tank are

aulanocara marmala pearl 3
aulanocara baenshi 3
aulanocara kornelia 3
protomelus taeniolatus (boadzulu or red empress) 2
protomelus spilonotus mozambique 3
nimbochromis linnis 2
nimbochromis livingstoni 3
nimbochromis venustus 3
sciaenochromis fryer (electric blue) 4
copidachromis borleyia kadango red fin 3
copidachromis virgin ali`s 3
copadichromis borleyi gold fin t/b 2
placidochromis phenochilus 1
dimidiochromis strigatus 3
synadontis brichardi 1

here is my 50gallon cube tank.
Picture249.jpg

this has my 11 blue morii and my 5 synadontis petricola. the dolphins will move into the main tank when there bigger, but for now I want to keep them seperate (love them and dont want them to be eaten)

mark. READ MY LIST OF FISH THAT ARE IN THE TANKS!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back