Your Favourite Tetra

hi guys not sure this is the right place for this post but all you guys seem to know your stuff about tetras, my tank is 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft and has 10 neons in, could i add 10 glowlights, 10 cardinals and 10 rummy noses and them all live happily together?? cheers :good: i love tetras :)

hi guys not sure this is the right place for this post but all you guys seem to know your stuff about tetras, my tank is 3ft x 1ft x 1.5ft and has 10 neons in, could i add 10 glowlights, 10 cardinals and 10 rummy noses and them all live happily together?? cheers :good: i love tetras :)
I never kept the cardinals and rummy noses so I can't say from the experience. However I know Neons and Glowlights would be more than fine that I have them in the same commnity tank. Glowlight seem to stay in their school more than Neons. Neons tend to scatter when they feel comfortable. But sometime Neons blend in the Glowlights. And I know people keep Neons and Cardinals all the time. So I don't see any problem. And Rummy noses, if my memory is correct, I think they prefer little higher temperature and also they are little bigger. But they should be fine if you figure out the optimal water condition for everybody.
I personally get more smaller fish than bigger ones when I mix the tetras. And you should get 6 or more for most of the tetras if not all.
So I get 6 Rummynoses, 8 Glowlights and Cardinals and 12 Neons if I were you. That just a example.
And I would get 1 group at a time that the tank can support the bio load. Probably 2~3 weeks a part.
And I can't tell what is the water capacity of the tank by the measurement. But I guess 3x1x1.5 is like 40G? It maybe overstock, you may need to eliminate 1 group.
Any case, it sounds like nice pretty tetra tank. That's my kind. Peaceful community tank. Mine has some Hatchet and Corydoras with Tetras.
Good luck with your tank.

thanks for taking the time to reply neoncory, i think i will eliminate the rummy nose as you say they are a little bigger than the rest. my neons are gorgeous and seem very happy so will be great to have a tetra tank ;) thanks again

Brad

thanks for taking the time to reply neoncory, i think i will eliminate the rummy nose as you say they are a little bigger than the rest. my neons are gorgeous and seem very happy so will be great to have a tetra tank ;) thanks again

Brad
No problem. I hope it is useful info for you.

I guess I love my Neons but Diamonds is close 2nd and they are getting closer everyday. Since they seems more sparkly everyday. And it almost the time for me to try breed them. Since I notice the male was putting little show in front of the female yesterday after I changed good portion of water. So I set the breeding tank and put the trio in them. Hope get some eggs in few days.

Congo Tetras :nod:
Yep, I agree with this. Congos, hands down. I LOVE them, especially when they mature and get the gorgeous feathering on the tails!
any pics of your congos??

Unfortunately not!! Its a sad story.
I only discovered them a few weeks ago, added them to my tank and they looked amazing. Then they got attacked to death my my Golden sucking loach :angry:

The loach has now been removed from my tank and I'll be getting some more congos in a couple of weeks.

(See post in tropical fish emergencies)

Yep, I agree with this. Congos, hands down. I LOVE them, especially when they mature and get the gorgeous feathering on the tails!
I have some half-decent but dimly lit photos of mine on the memory card currently in my camera from a photo session a couple days ago. I'll be dumping them to my hard drive and sorting through them tomorrow or the next day, so I'll try to get them posted then :)

I have some half-decent but dimly lit photos of mine on the memory card currently in my camera from a photo session a couple days ago. I'll be dumping them to my hard drive and sorting through them tomorrow or the next day, so I'll try to get them posted then :)

great, looking forward to seeing these congos that you guys all seem to love :good:

I like Splash Tetras, because of their spawining method.
Very interesting.

I like Splash Tetras, because of their spawining method.
Very interesting.

Edit: sorry added two posts accidentily :look:

great, looking forward to seeing these congos that you guys all seem to love :good:

Here ya are! They're not the best shots--these guys are FAST--but they'll give you some idea. They're one of a very few true African tetras, and they get big (mine range between 2.5 and 3 inches), but if you have the space, they're LOVELY.
congo1.jpg

congo2.jpg

congo3.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back