The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chad

Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Though we've had a nano reef tank forum for a while many of you have commented that we really need a forum to discuss freshwater and planted nano tanks. As someone who has a 6 gallon planted nano I have to agree so hurry and be the first to post (with a real post) in the new nano forum.

Thanks for the suggestions on this one!

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/251-fresh-planted-nano-tanks/

Sounds like a great idea, especially seeing as I plan to set one up later this year if I get the chance!

I read you were planning on going to University soon, a nano is just the right thing for a dorm or small apartment! The "you can't have pets" people won't even know it's there.

Yeahh, that's when I plan to set one up
smile.png

I'm sure I'll be able to get past them, there HAS to be a way 
wahey.gif

Biology experiment!

For Media? Great idea! :p Ahah

I'll just try to hide it if and when they come round. Surely if it looks nice they won't be too fussed :)

Actually, truth be told I know several people who live in dorms and they say they are allowed up to 10 gallons by default so you should be fine. At least now you have a forum for it.

Nice one! Nothing better than a nicely planted nano.

Just a quicky - what are people's opinions on the largest size tank that counts as a nano? 50l, 75l, 100l?

For me it's under 10 gallons. 10-50 is just what I call a small tank rather than a nano. Since nano means, "very small, minute" and people have been keeping 10 gallon tanks forever I figure it has to be smaller than that. But that's just my logic, I mean...how many of have kept a 10 gallon? Did you really think it was nano? The smallest I've kept is 2.5 gallons and I've done several 5.5 gallon tanks.

Well until I came on here my 30L was all I had and I didn't realise it was considered to be nano. Now have a 60L too.
30L is cycling at the moment and about to become a betta tank.
Can I ask here what's the smallest size acceptable for a hospital/quarantine tank? I only ask because I've haven't got a lot of space left for expanding the hobby but would like to have something OR would it be best to leave a sick fish in main tank and treat all? I know there'd still be a need for quarantine but since I hardly buy any fish and the betta is going into his own tank maybe I don't really need one.

I would call my 20 L tanks nano, they really are small and only suited to selective breeding shrimp projects, or a single fighter in my opinion.
As for the size of a hospital tank I think it depends on the size of your largest fish, afterall your not going to shove a 30cm Oscar into a 20 L tank for treatments. Ideally for most of the smaller fish I would say a 20 -30 L tank should be fine and also easier to manage short term as well as easier for the fish if it needs to get to the surface.

Joshwainwright said:
Yeahh, that's when I plan to set one up :)

I'm sure I'll be able to get past them, there HAS to be a way :hey:
When I went to Drexel University, a hallway mate brought a 100 gallon tank, complete with his boa right past the security desk with just a simple blanket over the top of it. No questions. The key was to do it on moving day, and there was so much traffic in and out, no one will ever even look in your direction. Also having a distract or helps... Asking for the billiard balls and cues helped as they went to get those, the trail of moving stuff in just blended into the background.

Mamashack said:
Well until I came on here my 30L was all I had and I didn't realise it was considered to be nano. Now have a 60L too.
30L is cycling at the moment and about to become a betta tank.
Can I ask here what's the smallest size acceptable for a hospital/quarantine tank? I only ask because I've haven't got a lot of space left for expanding the hobby but would like to have something OR would it be best to leave a sick fish in main tank and treat all? I know there'd still be a need for quarantine but since I hardly buy any fish and the betta is going into his own tank maybe I don't really need one.
I use the same tank for QT and hospital. I never get more fish while some are sick.

We can see the type of shinanigans you got up to at uni then, eagles! lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back