You Asked For It!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's not the half of it, but I'll leave the rest of the stories for another time. Don't want to share all the good stuff too quickly, but just enough to keep them coming back for more. :D

Sorry I didn't mean QT and hospital use at the same time eagles, Just in principle. lol

hahaha can't wait for episode 2! lol

Same guys and the title is, "Has anyone seen my snake?"

Now you've got me interested!
<makes coffee, gets popcorn and sits in comfy chair> lol

Mamashack said:
Sorry I didn't mean QT and hospital use at the same time eagles, Just in principle. lolhahaha can't wait for episode 2! lol

I also didn't address the last part of the question. You asked, "do I need one or should I just treat the entire tank?"

The answer is: it depends on the illness, injury, or parasite. Ich requires treating the entire tank be treated as the entire tank will be infested with the little buggers. But injuries, and many illnesses can be treated (and many times should be treated) in a separate tank whenever possible. Some fish are more sensitive to mess than others. So putting meds in a tank to treat one fish is a bit silly, andw potentially dangerous to the other fish. Take for example a fish suffering from an injury. It would be best to treat them separately as it would require less medication, be more easily monitored and the other fish do not need to be exposed to the meds. It's also easier to keep that water pristine and just use fresh water and allow the fish's own immune system work on the problem. Smaller tanks are easier to complete large scale water changes on, and having a bare bottom of the tank will allow you to get all the gunk out everytime, and/or monitor the poo of the individual fish. Lots of advantages to a separate tank for quarantine.

Mamashack said:
Now you've got me interested!
<makes coffee, gets popcorn and sits in comfy chair> lol
Not today. ;)

I get what you are saying about the quarantine tank for injury. I had Ich in mind when I mentioned treating the whole tank.
Heaven knows where I would put such a tank - I'll have to have an extension built just for the aquatic stuff - wouldn't that be fabulous?! lol

Wow!!! That's some project! I finally managed to track down the picture of the finished tank without reading all 46 pages! The first few pages were interesting then I went into child-reading-newspaper mode and just wanted to see the pictures! lol
A project that size would take up my whole garden - it's tiny 12x12 ft so more of a yard than a garden really.
I might be able to find room for a nano-tank, but it would have to be quite small. I'm running out of worktops in the kitchen! lol
What is an acceptable size hospital tank for looking after injured fish? .... bearing in mind that I have mainly platies and am planning a betta tank as we speak

The biggest you have is a platy, so a 5 gallon (20L) in a pinch would be sufficient. Sick fish are generally less active than when they are healthy so it doesn't have to be as big as normal. Normally I'd never keep a platy in less than 20 gallons, but a sick one is a different story.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back