Yes The Killies Are Here

Loko17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Well some of you may have read my posts about how I was getting 2 female Fp. Gardneri Lafia Killies to breed with my male, well they came today with a few special surprises inside. The first surprise is she made me 2 spawning mops. And the best surprise is...She gave me another pair for free!!! Thats Right Free!!! Their getting acclimitized to the water now and I'm so excited, now I get to go out and get another breeding tank and a fry tank or 2. I'll get pictures later tonight, Lol I put the 2 females bags into my males tank and he's freakin out going up and jumpin at the females and everything.

Yea Me and my mom are going out to get a second breeding tank and probably a fry growout tank too and then when my dad gets home I'll take some pictures and post them up on here.

i saw some killi's in my lfs, like all diffrent sorts, they were selling pairs for 6$ i would love to get a few

good luck and post some pics :)

Well I finally decided to snap a few pics. Enjoy.
Heres the female of the second pair she gave me in her temporary home, seems like all the fish wanted to be in the pic except for the male of the pair.
LogansKillies010.jpg

Heres the male of the pair, really bad photo.
LogansKillies009-1.jpg

Here he is again in a better pic
LogansKillies008-1.jpg

And here he is again in the best pic I got of him
LogansKillies007.jpg

One of the females in the 5.5 gallon tank
LogansKillies006-1.jpg

Other female in 5.5 gallon tank eating some krill
LogansKillies005-1.jpg

Same female^^^in spawning mop
LogansKillies004.jpg

Same Female^^^
LogansKillies003-1.jpg

Same Female^^^
LogansKillies002.jpg

First female again, she didnt want to move so she stayed in that position the whole time
LogansKillies001-1.jpg

Hope you liked them.

The first surprise is she made me 2 spawning mops. And the best surprise is...She gave me another pair for free!!!
Good to see Ruth sorted you out, Ask her for a copy of Ed's book on killifish. I think she still has some available. I think she sells them for around $7. A good little buy.
Make sure you have a tight fitting lid/hood. Speaking from experience this species likes to jump.
Nice pics.
Rgards
BigC

The first surprise is she made me 2 spawning mops. And the best surprise is...She gave me another pair for free!!!
Good to see Ruth sorted you out, Ask her for a copy of Ed's book on killifish. I think she still has some available. I think she sells them for around $7. A good little buy.
Make sure you have a tight fitting lid/hood. Speaking from experience this species likes to jump.
Nice pics.
Rgards
BigC
yea I got the book and sadly I learned that a crappy shoebox hood wont cut it as one of the females jumped out and I saved her in time but she died the next day :( . But I do have the second pair in another breeding tank and I got a 10 gallon fry growout tank but they probably wont get to that until they are bigger. What I'll keep the fry in when they're really little is this little tupperware kind of container thats about 3 gallons. For some reason i cant find methylene blue anywhere so I guess I'll have to order it offline because I need it so any fungussed or infertile eggs will turn blue so I can get them out. Until I can get it does anyone(bigC or other killi breeders) have any suggestions about what I can do to hatch the eggs and make sure they dont all fungus it would be appreciated.

Hi,
Methylene Blue is one of the easiest chemicals/remedies readily available at your LFS any aquarist shop worth their salt will stock this.
As for using it, or any other chemical for that matter is a personal choice. I myself do not use any such anti fungal treatments for common prolific species such as gardneri. ( I would turn to them only when dealing with Diapterons and certain Rivulus species simply because some of these will only lay a few eggs over the week)
Fundulopanchax gardneri will spawn in neutral pH and providing the water is relatively soft (dGH) you will get a few eggs hatching and even see the odd fry in the parent tank. But to really have sucess with this species you have to get you water right. (always aclimatize fish very very slowly when changing water conditions). Below is a reply to a PM I recieved recently regarding a gardneri colour morph, it relates as to how I go about breeding these. Again some breeders may go about it differently and achieve the same or better results, but I find this works for me.

Fundulopanchax (as they are now known) gardneri nigerianus Gold. are a colour morph of Fp.gardneri. There are many different strains from different geographical locations mostly inside Nigeria in West Africa.
I have bred many different strains in the past noteably P82, Jos Plateau, Port Harcourt, Makurdi and Misaje, the latter being my favourite.
The all have similar breeding habits and below follows a concise husbandry for that particular species the way I breed them.
Tank:- 18"x10"x10" bare bottomed tank with a tight fitting lid (essential, for obvious reasons) This size of tank will suffice for an adult trio. Into this tank I place a small air driven polyfilter with the flow set to a trickle along the water surface. A small heater is also added and set to a temperature of 76'F. The pH of the water should be in or around 6.8. I perform 30% waterchanges weekly. (syphoning debris from the bare bottom).
Adult Feeding:-The adult Fp. gardneri are not fussy about what they eat (they will eat your molly fry) I mostly feed livefood ranging from brineshrimp, tubifex worms, grindalworms, whiteworms, daphnia, bloodworm and vestigal winged fruitfly. but they will redily accept flake and frozen foodstuffs as well. Fundulopanchax gardneri will attain a length of around 65-70mm under aquarium conditions following all the above criteria.
Breeding:-Everything that has already been mentioned above will ensure good conditioned stock ready for breeding. As Fp. gardneri are predominatly top spawners then the only thing that is left to do is to add around 5-6 synthetic yarn spawning mops.
http://www.djramsey.com/tropfish/spawning_mops.htm
Over the course of the comming days the male will court the females and lure them one at a time into and alongside the mops, The pair will move along side each other and the male will wrap his dorsal fin over the female, they wiill adopt what is commonly known as an "S" position as they move eratically near the spawning site, a quick "jerk" movement completes the spawning cycle and one egg is laid at a time in the mop. This is a constant cycle, the mops also provide resting places for the females away from over avid males. As regard to egg numbers, you should expect to collect between 6-30 eggs on a daily basis.
Fry Rearing:- I collect the eggs daily, removing them from the mop with my fingers, being careful not to squeeze too hard. Remove the mops one at a time from the parent tank and gently squeeze all the access water from them, now inspect them for eggs. Fp gardneri eggs are quite large as killifish species go the egg measuring roughly 1/8", they are easily seen with the naked eye and are opaque to yellowish in colour. Place all collected eggs in a small clean margarine tub floated in the parent tank with roughly 40mm of water and a small airline set to a very slow trickle. Inspect the eggs daily and remove all fungussed and infertile ones. (some breeders like to use chemicals as an anti fungus agent, I don't like using these) I replace the marg tub water every other day using the water from the parent tank.
The eggs will go through many stages of embronic growth eventually hatching after 14-21 days. The fry are quite large and will take newly hatched brineshrimp (essential) microworms and crushed flake from the outset. Provide the fry with their own growing on tank of similar dimensions and setup as per the adults above. Start with a water depth of around 2" and gradulally increase this as the fry grow, remember cleanliness is a key part in rearing any fry. (You will not rear every single fry nor will it be necessary to do so) I rear around 20 pair at a time. You will notice some skews in sex ratios ie: mostly all males or all females. This can be experamented with as it is linked to the temperature of the egg incubation. Keep fish of comparable size in the same tank as the larger ones will kill of the smaller siblings.Keep the most robust stock for future breeding and sell your surplus, you can expect to get at least £5 per pair. Bring in new stock on a regular basis from the same location or colour morph. (do not cross strains) to keep the strain strong and to eleviate any diformaties caused by in-breeding. Lastly cull weak stock. (they will only be preyed upon anyway).
Summary:- Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus is a beautiful killifish species, they are quite easy to breed and maintain. Fry rearing present little or no problems, they are an excellent introduction into the world of Killifish for the novice. After 25 years of breeding Killi's I always have room in my fish room for one or two varieties of Fp. gardneri.
I sincerly hope this was of some help to you and to others wishing to breed this beautiful species of Killifish.
Regards
BigC

Thank you BigC this has helped but how do I tell when the eggs have fungussed or are infertile? Do they change colors?

As jayjay said above they go opaque in colour and have a fillimentous growth around them.
Regards
BigC
P.S. A handy item to have for removing fungussed eggs from their container is a small glass eyedropper or pipette.

All th above is correct, but I don't do it that way.

Frankly its not worth the effort picking eggs of fecund species. A good pair will always lay way more than you need, and its just not worth the hassle.

Ichthyologists argue about fish groupings, and continually change their minds, but currently (In some circles anyway) the lafia are known as Fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri whilst most others commonly seen are Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus.

The only reason I mention this is that I am talking about my strain the P82 which is a real beauty

I fill a 2ft tank with plants - free floating, or failing this 20 mops. I use najas java fern, moss hornwort, Indian fern, whatever, but hve little swimming space. This makes little fry that can squeeze through gaps far harder to catch by the adults

Feed well with worms and other good food and wait. In 3 months your tank will have 30-40 fish of varying sizes and generally all good quality fish. The bigger the tank, the more fish there will be. Take them all out and in a few weeks you'll see fry once again

Its essential to have the tank choc full. yes some will eat each other, but the quick ones will always get away.

If you feed baby brine shrimp once or twice each week, it will massively improve numbers.

This is the easy way to breed killies - and gives you more time too enjoy your fish, rather than searching mops and worrying about fry

So many really nice killifish can be bred this way - well worth a try

I would try this but I'm limited to money and space, All of this I'm running out of my bedroom in my parents house since I'm only 13 so I'm going to stick to the standard way for now and If I am still breeding when I get my own house I might try your way because it sounds like it works for you. Also I would like to know, how many times should I feed brine shrimp to the newly hatched out fry? Everyday? every other day? twice a week? Any help would be great. Oh and today I checked the spawning mops and in each one I found one egg :lol: . Hopefully I will get more of an outcome tomorrow.

Your meant to feed fry multiple times a day, so 4-5 times a day would be good. If you could, microworm and BBS. With them getting bigger varying it more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back