Yes The Killies Are Here

Ok, soon I will be getting some brine shrimp eggs to hatch out and I'll have to look into getting some microworms. Anyone know where I can get a starter culture?

I fill a 2ft tank with plants - free floating, or failing this 20 mops. I use najas java fern, moss hornwort, Indian fern, whatever, but hve little swimming space. This makes little fry that can squeeze through gaps far harder to catch by the adults
Also an excellent natural breeding method. I use this for more delicate species but there is absolutely no reason why it should not be deployed in this case.
Again an excellent reply 4'.
Regards
BigC
I'll have to look into getting some microworms. Anyone know where I can get a starter culture?
You should try Ruth Warner again or go to fellow AKA member Tony Terceira & David Rossi's Fishwizards site, scroll to the bottom for available cultures.

http://www.tdbettasand.addr.com/html/fish4sale.htm
Regards
BigC

microworms are on ebay most days - theres some up now

The thing with brine shrimp is the more they get, the quicker they grow.

HOWEVER if you overfeed they die quickly and polute your tank. It is INCREDIBLY easy to overfeed - after all, fry eat 10-20 don't know how many in a day, yet you will hatch thousands.

You can keep them in the refridgerator (if you are allowed) for 2-3 days.

So, the best method for feeding fry is to overfeed them, but keep apple snails with them. They will eat all the left over shrimp, very quickly. They are also too big to find eggs, so are preferred to ramshorn and other snails for breeding purposes. They may munch certain plants (amazon swords?) but leave java fen/moss hornwort etc

A plain bottomed tank also helps the snail find the dead shrimp. I never use gravel in fry rearing tanks

good luck!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks everyone for the help. Its helped me a bunch.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back