YAY!!! WHEE!!

BichirKeeper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a 55 gallon that has been sitting empty for over a week now. The two Ornates I had in there have grown large enough to not get knocked around by my Senegals, and thus have gone into my 125. So, the 55 that they were in, which sits in my room, has been bugging me with it's... emptyness. I hate empty tanks, and I hate not knowing what to put in them even more.

I thought about it while setting up me and my fathers 225 that has recently been repaired (Big startled knifefish + sharp shale = cracked tank) and couldn't come up with anything. So by this time, it'd been about a month since I'd visited our local fish store (a travesty-ish thing to do in our family :rolleyes: ) and so I figured I'd stop in for a few things.

So upon entering, I make a bee-line straight for the fish department. And how I love this store's fish department. It's like, entering a dark cave of fish awesomeness. Fifty-foot walls of nothing but fish, fish, brackish fish, marine fish, and more fish. I could go on, obviously, but perhaps i'll save it for another time.

Regardless, I was hunting along the rows of aqariums, seeing everything from blue sharks to aba-abas, when I happened across a tank with nothing in it but one big overturned pot. Upon closer inspection, I saw a pair of flourescent green eyes poking out at me, then a big honking puffer mouth, and finally, I saw it...

"Fahaka!" I cried, raising my hands up in glee.

I knew what was going in that 55, now!

The store owner, Chris, was loathe to part with the green-eyed wonder. (as he'd grown quite fond of it) But before long, the Fahaka was packed into a clean tupperware container (previous puffers had bitten through bags) and quickly taken home.

That was yesterday, and now our nameless Fahaka puffer has settled in nicely. Me and my father were up literally until midnight watching it check around the tank until it finally went inside it's new overturned flower-pot home, and sat. We fed it prawn this morning (which it gobbled down with relish) and then we argued over what to name it. We still havent decided, so we've moved on to argue over what kind of pleco should go with it. :rolleyes:

We have plans to move our 125 crew into our 225 when it's up and running (and cycled) so, our new puffer will eventually have 125 gallons to her/himself.

I promise to make the Minions proud! And soon, we hope to have pictures!

Wish us luck! :D

I know whjich pleco!

The non-existant pleco!

Don't put one in ... yummy for fahaka.... :shifty:

anyhoo call him/her hinto!

I know i know, my names are wierd....my puffers are

Scoot and Skidaddle.... :*)

Yay! Welcome to the club!

Martha Fahaka has without doubt become the most facinating and rewarding fish that we have ever kept. She is growing at an incredable rate and has gone from 2.5 inches to six inches in just two months on a diet of frozen prawns, frozen cockles, live jumbo bloodworm, live ghost shrimp, live mealworms, live waxworms and occasionaly, live red crabs.

We spend more time watching her than the TV and The sheer volume of photos & videos we take has to be seen to be believed (new video soon- Martha Vs Red Crabs!)

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to introduce a pleco to help keep down the algae in her tank and clean up her scraps. (puffers are unbelivably messy eaters) We wanted something at leat as big as Martha and something hard as nails so we went with a six inch common pleco.

A nervous few minutes after introduction (anything new in the tank is subject to Martha's very close scrutiny) she seemed to decide that Stewart (the pleco) is not food and now she mostly ignores him.

Stewart somethimes tries to sit on Martha's prawn but she just carries on eating it as it he isn't there, pulling it out from under his head.

Once we caught Stewart attempting to suck onto Martha's flank and we though he might be going to harm her by eating her slime coat, but I don't think he liked her spines and he dropped off after a couple of seconds.

So it seems that Martha & Stewart are now succesfull tankmates, but we shall continue to monitor both of them very closely.

Because both Martha & Stewart are such filthy fish, and because puffers require such perfect water we decided to add extra filtration. We now have two filters on her 240 litre growout tank rated for a total of 540 litres with a combined turnover in excess of eighteen hundred litres an hour.

Yay! Another fahaka keeper!! :cool:

You're going to love him/her so much, they are so full of personality and always curious. Our Martha knows who we are (the food-givers, lol) and is always excited to see us at breakfast time. And she's not afraid of anything, so mind your fingers! :D

What size is your puffer? You mention she gladly takes prawns, so I imagine 4"+?

Looking forward to seeing some photos!

LadyMinion said:
What size is your puffer? You mention she gladly takes prawns, so I imagine 4"+?
He is about six inches long, and has eaten like crazy since he's left the store. I have a picture here I took that actually turned out (I dont have a digi-cam anymore :/ ) so tomorrow, I'm going to scan this in when I get to work. :)

Oh, and I think we've settled on a name.

Anubis :crazy:

*Edit: Oh yea, is it common for Fahakas to have different colored eyes? Anubis has emerald green eyes, I noticed that Martha has red eyes. Is this common? Or did I just fail at ID'ing a puffer?

Anubis, that's a nice name.

So he's about the same size as Martha then, hehe we can compare "growth rates" :D

/edit - yes the eyes are fine. It can depend on how the light is reflected. Martha has a sort of red rim with a marbled green inside. Not a very good explanation, but basically it depends how the light hits her eyes. Flash photography can give more of a redeye effect.

oh, i put a post on here, it should of gone on but for some reason it went on the mystery killer one instead!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back