Yay for Brexit! (this is really about aquatic plants)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Prior to the creation of the EEC (European Economic Community) in 1957, which was the precursor to the EU formed in part due to the desire of the European countries to not do the whole world war thing again, and in part due to concerns about the Soviet Union, no, there was no real free trade between European countries. Had a couple world wars, though.
And so was the League of Nations after World War 1, the war to end all wars.

Do you think wars are only fought with guns, soldiers, bombs, and ships. There are other forms of War, that are much more subtle, but no less dangerous to liberty and freedom. The pen is mightier than the sword.

Please understand that I know more about history then you are giving me credit. History as always been my passion.
You may not understand this, "Fear is the oldest tool of power."

Today all the power of the mainline media and entertainment covet an ideology, and will pervert history to their own ends. I cannot say it enough, centralized power is always controlled by those with the influence to do so. Your giving your blessing to centralizing power and for now it works for you, but what are the insurances it will always be. What about future generations, what you do today makes a difference as to the world they have to live in. I hope I am wrong, truly I do, but history proves me correct, centralized power is always controlled by those with the influence to do so.

Time for people to start growing their own plants then. Buy a heap of different species now and grow them to sell locally.

Having fish and plants inspected doesn't add much to the overall price. In Australia we have had fish inspected at airports since 1982. And any plants that come into the country also need to be inspected. On top of this, all fish imported into the country need to spend at least 2 weeks in a quarantine facility (Labyrinth fishes require 4 weeks due to the Iridovirus). The price for the airport inspection and time in quarantine is added on to the cost of the fish and shipping costs to get them here. Then it is divided by how many fish survive the quarantine period. Normally it only adds an extra 20-50 cents per fish. Sometimes it can be less, depending on how many fish you bring in. If you do a huge shipment (say 100,000 fish), and most of them survive, the cost added to each fish might be 2 or 3 cents. If you do a small shipment and have 1000 fish survive, the cost might be $2.00 per fish.

Speaking to a guy in a local Maidenhead it appears all livestock will have to be inspected on entry to the UK, by a DARD vet, and there are no gurantees on timescale or temperature control.........so expect a high rate of transit attrition pushing the prices up. At least I live in a CTA wirh the EU so can buy my livestock and drive it home myself. Infact my Honeys came from Ireland.
Thats very true I reckon NI is going to benefit in many ways because of the land border after this and not just for the fish :)
Time for people to start growing their own plants then. Buy a heap of different species now and grow them to sell locally.

Having fish and plants inspected doesn't add much to the overall price. In Australia we have had fish inspected at airports since 1982. And any plants that come into the country also need to be inspected. On top of this, all fish imported into the country need to spend at least 2 weeks in a quarantine facility (Labyrinth fishes require 4 weeks due to the Iridovirus). The price for the airport inspection and time in quarantine is added on to the cost of the fish and shipping costs to get them here. Then it is divided by how many fish survive the quarantine period. Normally it only adds an extra 20-50 cents per fish. Sometimes it can be less, depending on how many fish you bring in. If you do a huge shipment (say 100,000 fish), and most of them survive, the cost added to each fish might be 2 or 3 cents. If you do a small shipment and have 1000 fish survive, the cost might be $2.00 per fish.
This is really interesting, the thread had me thinking of Australia and how strong your imports around plants and animals are (used to watch a lot of nothing to declare). There is nothing wrong with this process of handling imports but the issue is going to be that people found out about these rules on xmas eve and have to be ready for them to be law for January 1st. And its going from as easy to move things from one region of Aus to an other (appologies if my ignorance brushes over anything there) to importing from outside of Aus with no notice. The Aus example is even more hilarious when you consider the size of Aus and the fact the English channel is 21 miles wide and you can walk over the NI/ ROI border.

Looks like someone beat me to PAHs Tropica section today. So I bought 3 for £8 and 2 for £11.
Im gonna start up a silent cycling 10G Heterandria Formosa species tank on NYD. Journalised on here.
They HFs are currently in my 22” high 120L so it’s gonna be a pain to get em out. I think most of my plants in there will need removing then replanting. No idea how many will survive so was gonna stock up from PAH tropica shelves anyway.
Think I’ll pop back tomorrow as well.

But Australia has a system in place, the UK not so much.......

I love the internets ....not so much....”thing”.
Jose Mourinio was who I first noticed it from though it may be way way older and it may have been because of him speaking in a second language though he’s got plenty of second languages to choose from.
Forced politeness where the poster would rather go batshit crazy at the stupidity of the subject under discussion condensed down into ..............not so much.
There’s a lot of not so much about these days.

Reactions: kwi
Pets At Home plant shelves empty yesterday. Never seen that before.
Damn! I was at a Pets At Home a few weeks ago and they had plants stocked. I was there because we were getting dog food and cat food, so I quickly looked at the tanks. Literally all of the plants were willting, were going yellow and had holes in the leaves. Mind you, I recently bought some frogbit the week before last. After a week, literally all of it has gone which is pretty frustrating. Can anyone suggest any ideas that the fish won't try to destroy?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back