Yabbies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jakeroberts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all well i am seting up a tank for 1 yabbie they grow to a lenght of 10cms so i was wondering wat would be the minimum size tank that 1 yabbies could happily live in and also would a bit of pvc pipe work as a cave
thankyou
ps.plz respond soon

They actually can get a bit bigger then 10 cm, though its fairly uncommon. I keep my guys in 2.5g tubs, but then again they arent exactly pets and right now their hibernating. I'd say a 10g aquarium would be good. Make sure its got a heavy lid, these guys are excellent escape artists.

Just to double check by Yabbie you mean cherax destructor right? the crayfish native to NSW?

Oops forgot to add, PVC pipe makes a perfect cave for them.

A Yabbie won't be happy in a 10g tank, sorry. I have a crayfish in a 20 gallon and she is still whining at me. They can get to 10in long minimum for most species, thereby a 20 gallon is really minimum.

Only some species of crayfish can get to 10" long, and it's extremly uncommon that in captivity they'll even reach 7". A 10gallon should be fine if this species only gets to about 4".

cherax destructor maxes out at about 4-5".

darkwolf- Their are hundreds of variety's of crayfish in the world, I know of at least a few that max out at 2 inch, I also know of some monsters, it depends on the species.

Sorry, but what exactly is a "Yabbie"??
a fresh water lobster. Cherax Destructor, native of australia.

A Yabbie won't be happy in a 10g tank, sorry. I have a crayfish in a 20 gallon and she is still whining at me. They can get to 10in long minimum for most species, thereby a 20 gallon is really minimum.
very good advice, though i have known Yabbies kept in 10 gallon tanks. taking into consideration your correct comments on how big they get i would not recommend it.

Only some species of crayfish can get to 10" long, and it's extremly uncommon that in captivity they'll even reach 7". A 10gallon should be fine if this species only gets to about 4".
even a Redclaw will reach 10 inches if fed and kept right. destructor's regularly reach that size. if you are looking for 3-5 inch cray, you will need to look out for Cherax depressus, though this is not the only cray to grow to that size, it is a good looking beast.

cherax destructor maxes out at about 4-5".
humm i would look at the setup of this tank, there is something wrong here. 4-5 inches is stunted for a yabbie.

darkwolf- Their are hundreds of variety's of crayfish in the world, I know of at least a few that max out at 2 inch, I also know of some monsters, it depends on the species.
true true, fireshrimp or Mexican dwarf cray, get to about 2 or so inches. signals, depressus, and several of the US cray get up to 5 or so. but most known hobby crays will get over 6 inches without their claws.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back