Would Like To Get Another Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Villy Valley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

Since coming on this site I have learned the hard way about fish keeping. Goldfish in with flutter fish and black moor and mountain minnows that died on day 2! Goldfish that picked on the other fish. My toffee flutter fish died. Took out one of the goldfish and he died. Black moor then swallowed a stone and a few days later he died. Took out other goldfish to put into a pond and he died. Replace black moor with another black moor and two mountain minnow and a pleco. Now have sand in the bottom of the tank instead of stones.

The fish are looking really happy and great. Question is - have I got room to replace my toffee that died. I have a 29litre tank with fluval filter.
I have:
1 Black Moor 2 inch body
1 flutter (fantail) fish same size as Black Moor
2 Mountain minnows - both about 1 inch
1 pleco which is about 1.5 inches

I do a 20% water change and filter clean every Wednesday - without fail.

I want to put in another flutter fish of a similar size.

Thanks

Villy

Edited - It may not be a Pleco. It is one of the mottly colour fish that sucks up to the side of the tank like a 'sucker' Mmmmm I think you know what I mean - is that a Plec?!

The tank isn't even big enough for the fish you've got... The goldfish will reach a very minimum of 6", the plec could reach 18", the WCMM are schooling fish...

This tank is really not big enough for coldwater fish like goldfish. They need more oxygen than can be provided in such a small space, they grow big and they produce a lot of waste. For 3 goldfish you should be looking at a tank in the region of 40 US gallons= 150 ltrs. Add to that a plec and you will be looking at a seriously big tank. I know they are all very small at the moment, but they do produce a lot of waste which will be fouling the water. And it is likely that the goldfish will have their growth stunted by being in too small a tank. As for the plec, that may well grow deformed if not given adequate space.

29 ltrs is even on the small side to house a school of WCM's ( as OohFeeshy said they need to be in schools). A tank in the region of 40-60 ltrs would be better for them. Still, I suppose it might work if you have good oxygenation (add an airstone) and are meticulous about weekly water changes. The school needs to consist of at least 6 individuals, and that will pretty well fill that tank once you've rehomed the goldfish and plec.

you laso need to replace the sand with gravel, sand is not good for goldfish as they sift through it to find food and they swallow large ammounts, compacting them and it irritates their gills :(

Don't ever clean your filter. It kills all the beneficial bacteria that breaks down your fish waste into less toxic substances. The weekly water change is good though. :good: Depending on how well-heated your pond is the pleco and the remaining goldfish might just be better off there and start over with appropriately sized fish. I would move the pleco to the pond even if you keep everybody else.

Goldfish are coldwater fish therefore should not be housed with most tropical fish. As stated you are overstocked. I would think about returning your goldfish. There is just not enough room for them. You can do some tropical fish in that tank. But not goldfish.

They are dying probably because they are overcrowded and your water parameters are over the top.

Goldfish are messy therefore need heavy duty filtration, lots of water changes and a big tank. Your black moor gets really big, sometimes reaching 10”. I have one and he is huge.

Plecos sometimes suck on the sides of a goldfish. So they should not be housed with goldfish. Most algae eaters for some reason suck on the sides of the goldies. Plus there is not enough room in the tank for a pleco.

You black moors needs a 20 gallon tank, your pleco needs a 30 gallon ( I think depending on what species).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back