Would It Be Illeagal

Think I do have a good idear what goes off behind the scenes.
Try not to think about it to much, as i'm already beginning to think keeping fish in tanks is not right.

I too wonder Wilder if keeping fish in tanks is even right. However.....they are already breed in captivity and I don't think we can stop it. I often feel that I am "saving" a poor fishy when I buy it because of the poor conditions at the LFS and because a newbie didn't buy it first with an un-cycled tank. I do spoil my pets......If you seen my dogs you would know that. I had a bird once...a little Parrotlet. It flew onto my shoulder while I was in the front yard. Someone lost it and I couldn't find the owner. I ended up spending ALOT of $$$ to give this bird a nice home and researched on keeping it healthy and training. One evening it decided to fly down to my shoulder as I was shutting the refrigerator door. Killed it.....squished birdie. I felt sooooooo bad for months on end. Now everytime I see kids in the store buying parakeets it makes me sick to the stomach. Birds should be flying in the air and not kept in our homes. My opinion :(
 
Sorry about the bird bless him R.I.P.
I'm not very intelligent but I do take the time out to learn about the pets I keep.
Fish have been the hardiest to learn about, as there that much to learn about them.
I agree about the birds I hate to see them in cages, they don't belong in cages.
 
Sorry, not in the UK. But, I don't have anything against selling to kids(unless it's illegal) being one myself. I once walked into an LFS and they said they wouldn't sell to me unless my mum was there (glad she was!) but I think in any case, if you sell to children, you must make sure that they know what they need to.

There's a good point you bring up and another FACT for you lot.

It's ILLEGAL to sell livestock to under 16's in the UK.

So it doesn't matter if the kid is the next writer for PFK and knows there stuff!
Ouch.
 
Think I do have a good idear what goes off behind the scenes.
Try not to think about it to much, as i'm already beginning to think keeping fish in tanks is not right.

I too wonder Wilder if keeping fish in tanks is even right. However.....they are already breed in captivity and I don't think we can stop it. I often feel that I am "saving" a poor fishy when I buy it because of the poor conditions at the LFS and because a newbie didn't buy it first with an un-cycled tank. I do spoil my pets......If you seen my dogs you would know that. I had a bird once...a little Parrotlet. It flew onto my shoulder while I was in the front yard. Someone lost it and I couldn't find the owner. I ended up spending ALOT of $$$ to give this bird a nice home and researched on keeping it healthy and training. One evening it decided to fly down to my shoulder as I was shutting the refrigerator door. Killed it.....squished birdie. I felt sooooooo bad for months on end. Now everytime I see kids in the store buying parakeets it makes me sick to the stomach. Birds should be flying in the air and not kept in our homes. My opinion :(

Wow, That is bad about the bird, Sorry R.I.P, But what a story and a way to go...
Wasnt your faught mate, Accidents to happen :good:
 
Sorry, not in the UK. But, I don't have anything against selling to kids(unless it's illegal) being one myself. I once walked into an LFS and they said they wouldn't sell to me unless my mum was there (glad she was!) but I think in any case, if you sell to children, you must make sure that they know what they need to.

There's a good point you bring up and another FACT for you lot.

It's ILLEGAL to sell livestock to under 16's in the UK.

So it doesn't matter if the kid is the next writer for PFK and knows there stuff!
Ouch.

Sorry if you thought that was a dig at you.

Just so many opinions and assumptions were floating in this thread that needed clearing up.
 
Sorry, not in the UK. But, I don't have anything against selling to kids(unless it's illegal) being one myself. I once walked into an LFS and they said they wouldn't sell to me unless my mum was there (glad she was!) but I think in any case, if you sell to children, you must make sure that they know what they need to.

There's a good point you bring up and another FACT for you lot.

It's ILLEGAL to sell livestock to under 16's in the UK.

So it doesn't matter if the kid is the next writer for PFK and knows there stuff!
Ouch.

Sorry if you thought that was a dig at you.

Just so many opinions and assumptions were floating in this thread that needed clearing up.
No dig taken.
 
Honestly I don't think it'd be illegal persay. I think it'd be very stupid however as you'd be selling the fish without any filter, heater etc. so the fish may die before they're even bought.
 
Honestly I don't think it'd be illegal persay. I think it'd be very stupid however as you'd be selling the fish without any filter, heater etc. so the fish may die before they're even bought.

I wouldnt of thought that fish would die that quick without being heated and/or have a filter, espcially on a warm day......But I dno

Fish go through longer trips and more stressful trips being posted and still survive?
 
Hmmmm, how many people my age do I know who are so interested in fish they would actually spend on one £5, and £100 on a tank for a general community, none :rolleyes: :lol: Well except for a few people on this forum...The only reason I could think of a child/teenager buying it is to fill the bowl there goldfish died in.
Carboots around here always have 1 or two specialist dealers, selling bulk items they have bought in brand-new.
 
The fish would be under a lot less stress than when they are shipped, as long as you can keep their temperature in a good range (I don't know what kind of weather you are experiencing!)

I do see two issues with doing this, though.

1. Fish never look very good when they're bagged up and not in a comfy tank. This may hurt your sales.
2. There will be a lot of impulse buyers... well, I guess they would ALL be impulse buyers... so if you want to only send your fish to good homes, you would have to talk to everyone, ask questions, etc. to make sure they could care for the fish properly.

I know nothing about the legality of it but I'm guessing it would be fine. People breed and sell fish all the time and I've never heard of anyone mention a license other than when selling them through an actual store.

Personally, I think it might just be more trouble than it's worth, but I would give it a try just to see.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top