Would Fish Water Be Good For Houseplants?

littlest

Fishaholic
Joined
Aug 19, 2007
Messages
607
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
UK
Basically what the title said, I was just wondering whether water from the fish tank would be better for houseplants than tap water. I thought the added nitrate may be beneficial, but don't really know anything about plants.
 
No problem there,
I seen aquarists who grow plants in trays over their main tanks and the roots actually immerse in the tank water which draws out nitrate from the tank.
So yes you can use the fish tank water for your houseplants. (freshwater)
Regards
BigC
 
I heard of members using water on there plants from a water change, and said there plants have never looked so healthy.
You can also use the water on garden plants.
 
No problem there,
I seen aquarists who grow plants in trays over their main tanks and the roots actually immerse in the tank water which draws out nitrate from the tank.
So yes you can use the fish tank water for your houseplants. (freshwater)
Regards
BigC
Oh yes, I've seen that actually, didn't think about that. oh, and yes it's freshwater.
Just figured that it's pretty much a free organic fertiliser so might as well put it to good use.

Wilder, I would use on garden plants but I don't have a garden

thanks guys
 
I use it on mine and in winter put pot plants from outside that don't like cold on the top of tank so that they get some warmth in roots
 
^ correction, it's the best convient free water you can use! There are better Organic things out there.
 
Tank water is good to water your housplants, but even better is the water you have used to rinse out your filter media. :D
 
A lot of terrestrial plants' preferred nitrogen source is nitrate (as opposed to more aquatic plants' preferred nitrogen source of ammonia), which of course, is the end product of the cycle. The other major things plants need to grow are potassium and phosphorus. There is usually a fair amount of both in fish food and eventually in the fish waste, as well. Fish water thus becomes a pretty good fertilizer for most plants.

Whether it is best or not depends a lot on what plant you're talking about and what ratios your fish waste is and what soil the plant is growing in and how much light it is getting, etc. etc. Way too many variables to call anything "the best" unless you're going to get into a lot of specifics.
 
As everyone else said, it's good for plants and here is another reason or two to use it:

1 - Tapwater may contain chlorine/chloramine which as we know can kill bacteria and that applies in soil too.

2 - It's ecologically better, you throw water away from the fishtanks, then draw freshwater from the tap for plants, it's just wastage. Reuse the tank water and they get water which is better for them, with nutrients and less chemicals.

Arfie
 
What if the tank water has been medicated- anyone know? For example, I have been using a preventative treatment of Aquarisol in many of my tanks since I had a recent outbreak of velvet. Is this likely to hurt my plants?
 
If it doesn't harm aquatic plants, then I would assume that it's OK for house plants :nod:

Beacuse I water my plants when doing water changes I sometimes forget and as a result I have watered plants in the past with water being medicated by Protozin, eSHa200 and melafix (not all together you inderstand :lol: ) with no obvious adverse effects.

Arfie
 
I always take my 2x 30ltr carbouys of old tank water and pour it over the front lawn, summer and winter. Best lawn in the close :lol:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top