Moving houseplants indoors

Boundava12

Fish Herder
Joined
Jan 23, 2021
Messages
1,312
Reaction score
1,654
Points
113
Location
IL
So I have-had/taken care of houseplants for almost as long as I have kept fish.
I take the majority of my houseplants outside when the threat of frost is gone, usually early June. Then they stay out until the nigh time temps are around 45, but not lower.
I had them set up in the (unused front) entrance as it has 2 doors-one to outside and one from entrance to living room (its a cold room, sitting on a concrete block-house built in 1952).
Now that I have the family room set up (mostly) I will be putting them there this year. So I spent 6 hours setting up my collapsible plant stand trying to utilize as may parts as possible (I think steam was coming out of my ears towards the end)
I did wind up getting it all set up and they are sitting in some deep boot trays to catch any water as the floor is laminate.

So this weekend, or Friday (depending on how long work runs) I will get the plants ready to bring up. I have a couple that will be repotted, a sago palm (cycad) to put in a new pot and put as FREE on the curb, its too big to keep bringing in and out unfortunately.

All of the plants and their pots will be getting a NEEM/Castile soap (1T:1tsp to 1 gal H2O) to deal with anything pest wise living in the soil or on the plant. I usually leave them entirely submerged for 30 minutes. You can also spray this on the dirt and foliage, make sure to saturate.

If I do this Friday, I will let it sit overnight and bring them in the next day. I will often spread diatomaceous earth on top of the soil, but I have 4 cats and they will now have access to the plants so I don't need them inhaling it.

Here is the initial setup. Will hopefully have room for them all.
318.webp
317.webp
 
Last edited:
Its was dark when I got done, but you can see the room has plenty of natural light. Hopping to get some photos of the plants when I get home today around 5-ish

The tall stand is for my sister's hanging pitcher plants. They had a good summer and ate an entire nest of paper wasps, lol.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top