Wood shrimp stuck in filter. Please help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My shrimp have moved into my filter. I thought they were hiding because they shed the day after I got them last week but Iā€™ve just found them in here and I canā€™t get them out. What should I do?? I read online to leave them alone after they molt because they need to harden up but Iā€™m worried theyā€™re stuck. I did try to get them out with a net but thereā€™s little gaps they swim into in there. Should I leave them a couple of days as theyā€™ve shed or do I need to get them out right now? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get them out and how to stop them getting in there again? Iā€™ve attached a photo of where I think they mustā€™ve gone in.

Attachments

• 769F62D0-7EED-4EC9-8FD4-6F66A7F865A5.jpeg
    769F62D0-7EED-4EC9-8FD4-6F66A7F865A5.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 82
  • 0A801A68-CA3D-4A0F-9FB7-3DD0B4CB0313.jpeg
    0A801A68-CA3D-4A0F-9FB7-3DD0B4CB0313.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 78
I don't know how you will get the shrimp out, but you must have a pretty big opening for him to get that far in. Do you have a pre-filter sponge over the intake? if not then either purchase or fabricate a pre-filter sponge for the intake, so that all the water goes through the pre-filter before entering the filter proper.

What kind of shrimp? Look like bamboos? I'd leave them for a couple days, then try to fish them out with a smallish net, or with your fingers if they're bigger shrimp. Don't freak out about it--if your tank is established well, they should find plenty to eat in there. For the future, @Uberhoust is right about the pre-filter. :)

I don't know how you will get the shrimp out, but you must have a pretty big opening for him to get that far in. Do you have a pre-filter sponge over the intake? if not then either purchase or fabricate a pre-filter sponge for the intake, so that all the water goes through the pre-filter before entering the filter proper.
I donā€™t have the pre filter sponge no, Iā€™ll order one now. I just had the filter how it came. The gap that theyā€™ve climbed in is the gap that the water flows back out of. Once theyā€™re out I can raise the filter out a bit so theyā€™d have to actually climb out of the water to go back in there.

What kind of shrimp? Look like bamboos? I'd leave them for a couple days, then try to fish them out with a smallish net, or with your fingers if they're bigger shrimp. Don't freak out about it--if your tank is established well, they should find plenty to eat in there. For the future, @Uberhoust is right about the pre-filter. :)
I think in the UK they seem to call them wood shrimp but they are bamboos yes. Iā€™ll leave them for a few days then. Theyā€™ve climbed in the holes that the water comes back out of and flows back into the tank. Would this be ok to put a sponge in or not?

If they are climbing in the hole the water comes out of you might not be able to use a sponge pre-filter material as is could cause the filter to back up and not work as well or less efficiently. If you put a guard on the output you will want to use a material that is a bit coarser as to not block the flow as much. Pre filter sponge would work for the short term till you develop a better solution.

If they are climbing in the hole the water comes out of you might not be able to use a sponge pre-filter material as is could cause the filter to back up and not work as well or less efficiently. If you put a guard on the output you will want to use a material that is a bit coarser as to not block the flow as much. Pre filter sponge would work for the short term till you develop a better solution.
Yeah, if they're climbing up the outlet, I'd use some plastic mesh and just silicone it in place. Gutter mesh would probably work best.

If the net goes in okay what if you placed some food in the net like sinking pellets or anything you know they may like to eat and leave the net in there at an angle. When they go in the net for the food then pull it up quite quickly but carefully. Might be a good idea to place it near the opening where they flee to. How many are in there?

If the net goes in okay what if you placed some food in the net like sinking pellets or anything you know they may like to eat and leave the net in there at an angle. When they go in the net for the food then pull it up quite quickly but carefully. Might be a good idea to place it near the opening where they flee to. How many are in there?
Thats a good idea thank you! I'd only be able to get a net in there if I took the filter cartridge out, I'll try and leave it near the hole they're coming in and out of. There's 2 in there, I know they're both ok because I can see them walking about in there ?

Thats a good idea thank you! I'd only be able to get a net in there if I took the filter cartridge out, I'll try and leave it near the hole they're coming in and out of. There's 2 in there, I know they're both ok because I can see them walking about in there ?
Heck, if all else fails, unplug the filter, remove any media, and just dump them back into the tank...

Heck, if all else fails, unplug the filter, remove any media, and just dump them back into the tank...
After failing to find a good enough solution to prevent them getting back in, I've set up a sponge filter for when I manage to get them out because I don't want this to keep happening. I tried to get them out last night.. every piece of the filter I removed they got into another part. They have now squeezed into what looks like the motor, it was the final piece. So I've just put that final piece sitting in the tank (not turned on obviously). I'd done my best to research as much as possible and make sure I'm prepared for everything but I definitely wasn't prepared for this! ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back