Witch Filter? Eheim Pro 3 - Fluval Fx5

more tubing talk:
finally making it up to speed that there are 2 sizes somewhat standardized:
1) smaller size with inner dia 12 or 13mm = 1/2 inch
2) larger size with inner dia 16mm = 5/8 inch

My dealer said the older pro1-2222 would not fit the hydor 200w they had, but that the same hydor connected perfectly to the pro2-2026. So I now think that the dealer must have the 5/8" version of the hydor200 and that the pro2-2026 must use the newer 16mm hose size. Do you guys think its possible that the pro2-2026 has the larger (16mm = 5/8") hose size?

(also, I now see what you are saying, that the intakes and spray bars fit to either of the hose sizes in a standardized way, whereas at the other end of the tube the dual taps are either 1/2" or 5/8" except that there are kits available to take older 1/2" taps up to 5/8" if you need to)

(if all this detail seems absurd, it has to do with communicating with dealer/distributors on other side of continent.. can't run down to the shop and chat! so all a great help to me and fun knowing that the forum has the collective smarts to produce the details.)
Yes I was in the fish shop today to buy some sechem purgen and compare tetramin pro crisps vurses the newer tetramin crisps. I currentlly feed JBL flake so it's all reading the small print trying to decide. Anyway I had them open up a pro 2 box, It has the same smaller hose size as the PRO one and my 2215 the 12/16mm or 1/2 inch. On eheim's international site it has pds of spares and lists the classics pro and Pro 2 as needing the hose labled 405940= 12/16mm or 1/2 inch. My pro 3e which has the larger 16/22mm 5/8 inches size has the spare part number 405943.

I think your fish shop people had some other problem as the hoses sizes for pro 1 and pro two are identical.

thanks to NZ and your fine print nature I have "answers in the night"

You must be right. I should be due for another email from my shop today so we shall see.

~~waterdrop~~

my shop only had the 5/8 version hydor and confirmed, just as you guys said, that both the 2222 and the 2026 are 1/2" tubes so that was what was going on - hopefully the 2222 has now shipped and I've confirmed there are any number of places I can pick up a 1/2" hydor 200w

I'll have to cross my fingers that I get a good 200w as there are a number on tales online of people having more trouble with the 200w ones than the 300w ones for reasons no one can figure out. Hopefully those are just the usual incidental reports one sees is forums while the vast majority of "working perfectly" ones go unreported. There were tons of mentions of people being very pleased with hydors in general.

By the way, for the record I would observe that virtually all the info and advice I've received from both of you (bastables and T1) has been correct and very good!

~~waterdrop~~

By the way, for the record I would observe that virtually all the info and advice I've received from both of you (bastables and T1) has been correct and very good!

~~waterdrop~~
Hmm and you'd be wrong.
I must have misread or misseen the 2028 I saw a couple of weeks ago.

I'm running a loan 2028 right now inplace of my leaking fluval405. This 2028 has the larger 16/22mm hoses. Hopfully they'll have my Hagan back to me next week although depending on how things go i might by another eheim when the time comes to upgade my tank. already running a 3e 2078 and a classic 2215.

Hope everything goes well for you and your new canister

(Well, ok Bastables, I was being polite! It was a form of thank-you of course.)

So you'll recall that I put my nice west coast lady through the paces trying to check the hose fittings for me for using the hydor and eheim together. This meant she had to pull the eheim stuff out of the box a number of times (which was fine with me, helped me eventually figure out with you guys about the 2 different hydor hose fitting sizes.) But this leads me to wonder about a couple of things that I think might be missing from the eheim box. First of all I assume there must usually be written instructions, right? There were none except outside of box. Thanks to you I already have the link to the PDF (many thanks) but so far the server has been too busy (maybe tomorrow I'll get on the really high speed stuff at work to help it along.)

Secondly and more importantly: Do the blue and white foam pads I see pictured usually come with the pro cannisters? I see these pictured in the sales pictures, in the web parts diagrams and in the "complete media kits." I received the mech and bio substrate materials but no foam pads and those appear to be the ones cut to the right shape to fit the cannister. Just wondering if you think I should have received these.

Of course it may not matter much as maybe I can use wool/floss material or cut my own stuff and perhaps you or T1 have even better suggestions for this part of the media anyway... also not clear to me that this would stand in the way of me starting my fishless cycle. I really want to get those bacteria growing.

Well, gotta run. Am going to a swim meet and hope to make a side trip to see a really nice fish shop in this other city I'll be in - has been recommended by someone as part of a chance conversation. Catch you later, waterdrop

yes it should come with both the white pads and blue

many shops remove the pads when someone needs them and they are ment to re-order them and replace them in the box MANY shops forget

if you run the filter without the blue pad the filter will clog up fast as that is the pre-filter

the white pad is for the fine polishing you can use normal filter floss

i would order the box of pads that comes with 2 x white pads and 1 x blue fairly cheap about $12

Thanks T1, that goes nicely with what I saw today. I was an hour away in another city and visited a -real- fish store for a change and got to really enjoy seeing lots and lots of nice tanks. The fish were the most important of course but the way I knew immediately that the experience was going to be different was by all the gear when I walked in. There if front of my eyes were all the things I've been just reading about and seeing pictures of. Just the thermometer shelf had dozens of products. The owner gave me a personal tour for the better part of an hour. There were even big CO2 tanks and large eheims running underneath aquascaped display tanks, really nice!

Anyway I did indeed see eheim kits with the 2xwhite + 1xblue pads (unfortunately only for the sizes larger than mine) but I was able to feel which type material and picked out a large sheet of similar type material I can use in place of the blue. That will hold me until some real ones get shipped.

Man, really had fun talking to these people. They had a goldfish pond in the middle of the store bigger than one of the big rooms of my house! The aquatic plants get rolled out into the sunshine in huge rolling tubs. Saw a nice used tank I could have used for lap swimming. OK, I'm exaggerating, but I'll certainly go back when I get the chance.

~~waterdrop~~

I agree with T. The blue or course filterpad is the most important bit. The white pads can be replaced with filter floss. Only thing I've ever used that is diffrent to the blue filter pads is ehifysth which is the green tape looking stuff for the 2215 classic I have. Bit of a shame the poor shop Lady did not drop teh pads back in. Although it parrales my own experiences with my pro3e filter pads where I recived the ones in the box yet had to wait 2 months before the store finally shipped boxes of replacement pads. It seems for some reason the NZ distrubuter decided not to stock consumables. I finally switched to replacing the white pad with eheims own filter wool which can be cut and layered to size.

The loan Pro 2 I have is missing the blue filter pad too. Not my stuff and only for a short time hopfully so it should work out all right.

Intresting to note is that the manufacured fine filter pads take longer to clog up and take longer to remove floty bits from the water. The filter wool is the opposite. Glad things are going well and you've found a good fish store. Hope your pro get's all cycled up to speed and you can start adding the little fellows soon. :good:

You know what's really creepy? I'm sitting infront of this old battred loaner of a Pro II, and thinking: I think I need one of these. And then I need a tank to put it on.... And maybe some bumblebee gobys

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back