Winter Ice Storm in Texas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all the snow/ice is finally supposed to melt today. (Or at least work on melting)

High today is supposed to be over 50, which should be plenty enough. Don’t get me wrong, I love snow, but this has been ridiculous...

Sunshine!!!

Here in western New York, we had 17 straight days of snow (~35" total snow). Now to be clear, many days we had a trace of snow, just a few flake. But sunshine today before we get another couple inches of snow on Monday.

Time to get outside, I need some Vitamin D

EnoughVitaminD.jpg

Oh, admit it @Slaphppy7 , everyone in Texas is a filthy rich Oil tycoon billionaire. We just don’t want the rest of the Country to know so we live in small houses and drive beat up pickup trucks. There, the truth is out! Now go fetch me my Rolls Royce so I can go to McDonalds. ?
LOL....yeah, I wish...though we do own some land in Louisiana that gas companies has explored on...but I'm not retiring just yet

LOL....yeah, I wish...though we do own some land in Louisiana that gas companies has explored on...but I'm not retiring just yet
My dads old boss was located in Louisiana (where we used to live) but he had tons of oil rigs in Texas, giving him his millions.

I spent 2 days boiling water and doing pwc on my tanks. Word was that the boil water notice wouldn’t be lifted until Tuesday at the earliest. Just finished the tanks and guess what? Yep! They lifted the frickin’ notice! Just gotta laugh. At least I got a workout!

Thank you, thank you @AbbeysDad for the warning about extra chloramine in the water after the storm. I as refilling a betta tank with my Python today and a big puff of what looked like white smoke came out. The betta went nuts and the top of tank water was covered in white powder. I quickly triple dosed with Prime and fish is ok now. I had already double dosed all the other tanks that I had cleaned so I added more to them too. Fingers crossed.

Thank you, thank you @AbbeysDad for the warning about extra chloramine in the water after the storm. I as refilling a betta tank with my Python today and a big puff of what looked like white smoke came out. The betta went nuts and the top of tank water was covered in white powder. I quickly triple dosed with Prime and fish is ok now. I had already double dosed all the other tanks that I had cleaned so I added more to them too. Fingers crossed.
I spent 2 days boiling water and doing pwc on my tanks. Word was that the boil water notice wouldn’t be lifted until Tuesday at the earliest. Just finished the tanks and guess what? Yep! They lifted the frickin’ notice! Just gotta laugh. At least I got a workout!
White smoke, and powder? In a pressurized water line?....hmmm...I'm very curious to know what that could have been...I wonder if it was some kind of pressure test with a powder or smoke, would would easily allow city workers to find leaks, w/out having to look for actual leaking water (from busted pipes)...good friend of mine's brother works at our local water plant, need to send a few texts...

Our boil water notice was lifted this afternoon, as well...this past weekend, instead of my usual WC's, I just turned off my HOB's individually, rinsed the ceramic media, and replaced the poly batting, then topped off the tanks with Prime treated pitchers of water, at double the dosage...fish were all fine, probably LESS stressed than when they get their weekly 50% change, lol

I'm sure your fish will be fine...and exercise never hurts, unless it kills you.

You need to report that to the water company, there shouldn't be anything like that in the water supply.

-------------------
I'm sure your fish will be fine...and exercise never hurts, unless it kills you.
exercise hurts my chest all the time.

going back 30 years, I was exercising (cycling) and got hit by a car, that hurt. :)

You need to report that to the water company, there shouldn't be anything like that in the water supply.

-------------------

exercise hurts my chest all the time.

going back 30 years, I was exercising (cycling) and got hit by a car, that hurt. :)
I would imagine so!

Well, you don’t know me very well. I am somewhat of a rebel. Most of my career was spent as a hospital Patient Advocate. This meant fighting for Patient Rights even when it went against the physicians, nurses, and even at times, our hospital Administration. 32 years and was never reprimanded for standing up for the patients even when it meant going against policies and procedures. I am sorry I have made you sad. God bless!
I wanted to share information and perhaps a lesson on not believing everything you hear. He was asked on CNN about traveling and stated "HE DOES NOT TRAVEL ON PRIVATE JETS", he uses transportation to get around in an efficient manner. He does travel on planes to get to conferences and so would you. He believes that he does offset these trips by how he lives a carbon-free lifestyle. Here is an article and there are other sites where you can verify some facts, so stop being mad at Al Gore by a lie produced by guess who? : https://sustainabilitymattersdaily.com/al-gore-his-private-jets-hypocrisy/

I wanted to share information and perhaps a lesson on not believing everything you hear. He was asked on CNN about traveling and stated "HE DOES NOT TRAVEL ON PRIVATE JETS", he uses transportation to get around in an efficient manner. He does travel on planes to get to conferences and so would you. He believes that he does offset these trips by how he lives a carbon-free lifestyle. Here is an article and there are other sites where you can verify some facts, so stop being mad at Al Gore by a lie produced by guess who? : https://sustainabilitymattersdaily.com/al-gore-his-private-jets-hypocrisy/

Hmmm... This was said way before Trump came into play. He had nothing to do with it! Started like 10 - 15 years ago. He may not own one but he certainly does fly around in private jets! Very often! Why not share the fuel on commercial jets and save our planet.

Last edited:
Just saw this on FB.

Attachments

• C0C7D17A-56C2-4D87-B3B2-60B03F2019E8.jpeg
    C0C7D17A-56C2-4D87-B3B2-60B03F2019E8.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 42
Not sure how we came to this discussion, on a weather discussion thread... :huh:

Not sure how we came to this discussion, on a weather discussion thread... :huh:
Interestingly, it's not at all unusual. I think it's because weather and climate get conflated.

Although, perhaps a climate discussion should be its own thread? I'm always happy to chat with folks about, well, anything really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back