Will this stocking work for a 450 gallon tank ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wait I didn't understand you wanted GBR with Uaru ! Even if Uaru won't eat GBR, it is too small to compete for food.
I have two large tanks. The second will have GBR winemilleri and cupido.

Ok.

I was told the chocolate would eat gbr but perhaps that person was mistaken.
Not to be myself mistaken.... Uaru isn't and won't be with winemilleri and cupido, right ?
So what GBR are you talking about ? Sorry I'm not up with some common english fish names yet :unsure:

Ok.

Not to be myself mistaken.... Uaru isn't and won't be with winemilleri and cupido, right ?
So what GBR are you talking about ? Sorry I'm not up with some common english fish names yet :unsure:
I will have a tank with german blue rams, geo winemilleri and biotodoma cupido and i'm asking if the chocolate chilid would work in that tank better than the other tank.

Okayyy lol
According to me, Uaru chocolate + winemilleri + cupido = OK for a matter of size but GBR are too small as takemate with these ones.

Okayyy lol
According to me, Uaru chocolate + winemilleri + cupido = OK for a matter of size but GBR are too small as takemate with these ones.
What does it mean by 'too small'? You mean the uaru will eat them ?

Lots of good advice in here but not sure what the current plans for this tank are.

I had a chocolate cichlid for about 18 months before sadly loosing him in a disease outbreak. But in that time he ate a lot of fish I thought would be ok. It was only fish that fit in his surprisingly big mouth, the only schools I had with him were groups of adult Annostomus Ternetzi and Flagtail Catfish, so 3-4 inch fish.

Can you give us a fresh list of your plans at this stage?

Wills

What does it mean by 'too small'? You mean the uaru will eat them ?
GBR will reach 3 in maximum adult size.
Uaru will be at least 8 in. As a vegetarian Uaru won't eat GBR but considering big size difference, it could harm GBR.

Lots of good advice in here but not sure what the current plans for this tank are.

I had a chocolate cichlid for about 18 months before sadly loosing him in a disease outbreak. But in that time he ate a lot of fish I thought would be ok. It was only fish that fit in his surprisingly big mouth, the only schools I had with him were groups of adult Annostomus Ternetzi and Flagtail Catfish, so 3-4 inch fish.

Can you give us a fresh list of your plans at this stage?

Wills
Ok these are the details i have so far (both tanks will have sumps and both tanks will have drip system that changes and adjust-able amount of water around 1 gph 24/7. Both tanks will have water in the neighborhood of tds 70 and ph 7:

Tank 1 - target temp 78 - likely co2 injection - size 10 ft x 3 ft x 2ft (l,w,h):
16ish angelfishes
8ish mesonauta festivus
30 lemon tetra
30 white fin rosy tetra
10 clown loaches
10-20 zebra loaches
8 flash pleco
2 blue phanom pleco
2 gold nugget pleco
20 kuli (specifically mix of pangio meyersi and shelfordii)

Tank 2 - target temp 82-83 - maybe co2 injection (undecided) - size 8 ft x 4 ft x 21 inches (l,w,h)
14 GBR (mix of gold, electric blue and german blue)
40 cardinals
40 rummy nose
10 cupido
8 winemilleri
16 sterbai
4ish lemon blue eye bn

-
Exact number of fishes subject to change and perhaps some species change but required fishes are the clown loaches, angelfishes and gbrs.
--
Feedback welcomed.

(I've dropped the idea of chocolate cichlid in both tanks though maybe in another life time i will try them)

required fishes are the clown loaches, angelfishes and gbrs.
Botia and Angels = no.
Botia is a special one : can be calm and in no time at all, it can become quite aggressive and densely active in the tank. Angels - slow dwellers - hate this kind of behavior.
Also Botia is spawn protector... Angels are territorial and spawn protector...

GBR is 2 inches long, shy, territorial ans spawn protector. It won't compete for food with Angels and Botias that are gluttons.

Also, you mix amazonia biotope with Borneo biotope.

Botia and Angels = no.
Botia is a special one : can be calm and in no time at all, it can become quite aggressive and densely active in the tank. Angels - slow dwellers - hate this kind of behavior.
Also Botia is spawn protector... Angels are territorial and spawn protector...

GBR is 2 inches long, shy, territorial ans spawn protector. It won't compete for food with Angels and Botias that are gluttons.

Also, you mix amazonia biotope with Borneo biotope.
GBR are not in the same tank as botias or angels - two different tanks.
-
Might not be the best plan but will be keeping the clown loaches with the angels. If it becomes problematic will remove the clowns but in my 120 i ahve 5 clowns with 8 angels and in 2 1/2 years they have co-existed with no known conflicts. The clowns are still 'young' as they will live 40+ years and continue maturing for at least 10 so their attitude might change. And yes at night the clowns collect and frequently 'glass' surf but the angels - even those with eggs to guard seem to tolerate it well.

Both tanks will have water in the neighborhood of tds 70 and ph 7:
Argh I'm jealous :)lol:)

GBR are not in the same tank as botias or angels - two different tanks.
Ah it's a lil better. That said, winemilleri and cupido are at least 3 times bigger than GBR... and again, those three are territorial and eggs/spawn protectors... here also GBR will have difficulties to compete for food.

I understand why you whish to keep these ones, they're so beautiful !
But it looks like you have already made your choice :whistle::lol:

again, you have to keep in mind the tank size. you're giving general advice where it doesn't apply. in my opinion, "spawn protector" is not a valid reason to prove incompatibility between fish in such a large aquarium. each species will have more than plenty room to establish territory.
just let them try - the fish can always be removed if something doesn't work out.

Argh I'm jealous :)lol:)

Ah it's a lil better. That said, winemilleri and cupido are at least 3 times bigger than GBR... and again, those three are territorial and eggs/spawn protectors... here also GBR will have difficulties to compete for food.

I understand why you whish to keep these ones, they're so beautiful !
But it looks like you have already made your choice :whistle::lol:
Well i'm open to modifying the stocking with the rams if there is a big problem. My understanding is the winemilleri are not that large and relatively peaceful. I'm not too concern about feeding as in the past when I've had GBR they can be fairly aggressive at going after food esp if they are hungry.
-
I'm also open to adjusting the stocking with the angels as long as it include the clowns and zebra.

again, you have to keep in mind the tank size. you're giving general advice where it doesn't apply. in my opinion, "spawn protector" is not a valid reason to prove incompatibility between fish in such a large aquarium. each species will have more than plenty room to establish territory.
just let them try - the fish can always be removed if something doesn't work out.
Again, to each his own ;)

I remember talking about the second tank now :) I think both tanks are viable, I understand the concerns around the activity levels of the Clowns around the Angels but I do think in a 10 by 3 foot tank we are probably going to be ok.

The only thing I would be tempted to look at is the Co2 purely on a feasability side of things, I'm assuming cost isnt too much of an issue for you lol ;) but you would need serious volumes of gas. Have you thought of how to do it? I'd probably look at reactors which work with an inline system on your filters you are meant to get a good distribution from them in big tanks too.

One slightly contentious thing... I would be tempted to just do a big group of Angels, Festiums look nice for their first year or so but when they get big they are kind of ugly IMO, they get really bulky and their fins stay relaxed more than up. Just a personal opinion though :) An interesting alternative if you could find them might be Laetacara Thayeri? Ocupy the same area, look fantastic and a similar size.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back