Will this stocking work for a 450 gallon tank ?

I think the current requirement can be tempered. There will be some bottom current in the tank due to injection from the sump but at the higher levels the current will not be so great as to be objectionable to the angels. The angels I have are a bit aggressive among themselves but so far (last 2 years) breeding aggression has been well controlled.

So except for cardinal tetras, no middle dwellers ? I mean currently.

To be honest the angels spend a lot of time in the middle.
Of course, this is their dwelling area of preference. They are kings in this area, which they will no longer be with the addition of Mesonauta festivus and Uaru amphiacanthoides : they will have to share their "kingdom".
Sorry but bottom dwellers are too many of different species (according to me).
I know that it is sometime so hard to make a choice...
Keep in mind all those fishes get more or less bad-tempered when aging.
Wait for other advices ;)

Last edited:
While I cannot speak on behalf of all of the different types you have mentioned (lack of experience keeping them), I can strongly encourage you to not add more angels.

Angelfish are incredibly territorial and create a very distinct social hierarchy. If you add new angels to an already established hierarchy, the end result will not be good. Even in a tank that large, the bullied angels will not have anywhere to truly escape. While I love angelfish and a large school would be beautiful, adding more angelfish will cause a lot of issues.

I wish I had a tank that large! I'm excited for you!

i don't think that any of you really grasp the true size of a ≈500-gallon aquarium.
get a tape measure and compare it to one of your tanks, then try to make suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes I did ! And I damn envy such an aquarium !
I still maintain that bottom dwellers are too many of different species.

i don't think so. it's personal preference + i doubt you're going to see a small group of <5" fish very often, depending on how well the tank is planted. as long as fish are compatible in terms of water parameters and some particular aspects of behavior, in a tank this big, i think it's fine.

I'm deeply familiar with all the fishes but the chocolate cichild and the gold nuggets. I don't see a problem if those two specifics do not create an issue. The loaches are not territorial and are happy to group up as they please. The L204 is not overly territorial but providing them a cave certainly makes them happier. My biggest concern is if the chocolate will become a predator if i add khuli or large body tetra like rosy white fin. Some people claim they would eat GBR other say they won't bother to chase a cardinal and will be content with algae rich pellets - i have no clue as to the truth. I wish there were more owners of these fishes to comment.

My biggest concern is if the chocolate will become a predator if i add khuli or large body tetra like rosy white fin.
As Uaru is vegetarian he won't predate Pangio or Rosy white fin except maybe if they are small juveniles. But they could get chased out of Uaru territory : it is a cichlid.

As Uaru is vegetarian he won't predate Pangio or Rosy white fin except maybe if they are small juveniles. But they could get chased out of Uaru territory : it is a cichlid.
That's fine. There will be several feet they can claim. I was told the chocolate would eat gbr but perhaps that person was mistaken.

Wait I didn't understand you wanted GBR with Uaru ! Even if Uaru won't eat GBR, it is too small to compete for food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back