Will Corydoras Consume Fry?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Smelliot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've recently bought two pairs of leopard endlers in the aims of starting a nice colony, however I am wondering whether corydoras pose a threat to newborn fry? As from what I gather from research is that some say they do and some say they do not.

Thanks for the help!

I don't believe so. If your tank has lots of cryptocornes on the bottom of the tank it would hide the corys from the fry.

I have corrys with cherry shrimp, and the cherrys breed often. the corrys never eat the fry (that ive seen...)

Corydoras are less likely to eat the fry of livebearers because these (the fry) tend to remain in the upper level, among floating plants. Fry that are close to the substrate are a different matter. If the cories are one of the average sized species, by which I mean not one of the three dwarf species, they might well eat small fry if they happen to come upon them. They are not very likely to hunt them down, as will fish like tetra, barbs, etc. I once witnessed a group of three cories devour a shoal of Blue Ram fry in seconds; the female had no chance of protecting the shoal.

Byron.

No worries! Corries are not capable of hunting down swimming fish. As the fry is sinking to the bottom directly after birth they might get very few but with guppies there will be enough fry to rather worry what to do with all the survivors ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back